Cleaning out the overstock closet
Author

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:19 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:
I'd like to work things out so you could bid on items I'm auctioning. If you want to talk about how to go about it please send me a PM.

Jason

And of course, this is an example of just what I was blathering on about  :lol:

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:09 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:Which forum would be more appropriate for discussions of shipping?

Sending a package to someone other than the purchaser would have to exclude paypal as a method of payment. And any package would have to be able to be tracked. And any package would have to be sent so that the item wouldn't be damaged in shipping, which means no envelopes. I only ship in boxes with packing.

Jason;

International shipping has only got easier and more secure in the last year or so.  If you buy your postage online, you not only get a discount for flat rate envelopes and boxes, you get free tracking through the USPS and paypal website.  
 While they are expensive out of country ($37 to the UK), the flat rate international packages are very large, and you can ship up to 20 lbs for the same price. I often go with the international priority but not flat rate.....a smaller box, and can cost up to $20-25 for just a module, but very secure since you can use a lot of padding if you desire.
  I would highly recomend buying postage online if you are not already.  It's really helpful. The ONLY method of international shipping you can't buy online is what is called "First Class International", aka the new Airmail shipping, because size matters as much as weight and thus you have to bring it in to the post office.  
  I've also had good luck with flat rate envelopes, they are flimsy, but since weight is not a factor (you can ship up to 4 lbs) you can put as much cardboard as you like inside to stiffen the envelope and make it nonbendable.  I've very, very rarely ever had something damaged using this method. But if you must ship box no problem, as you probably know all the supplies are free, and recently the priority mail boxes are good for both international and domestic (they use the same type box now, it has a barcode on it for the international use).
  Oh and also the PO will come pick up the parcels at your house or place of business if you use the online postage!
  Anyway, if you have any questions PM me.  I'm also willing to act as a go-between for Al or anyone else.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:31 am 

Just to add. I have made at leaset fifty purchases from the US and alost everything has been sent in Flat Rate Envelopes or Boxes. To get value for money as an overseas Buyer I try to buy 4 to 5 items per $11.00 envelope or fill up A flat rate box if necessary.

The postal service between the US and Australia seems to be excellent. No item I have had sent has ever been delayed or gone missing. Items have arrive as quickly as 4 days!

Here is the info from the US postal site:

Priority Mail International — Flat Rate

Flat-Rate Envelope (9.5" x 12.5"): $11.00

May contain items that may be sent as First-Class Mail International. The maximum weight is 4 lbs.

Flat-Rate Box: $37.00

Merchandise is permitted, but written communications having the nature of current and personal correspondence are not permitted. The maximum weight is 20 lbs. or the limit set by the individual country.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:22 am 

Couldn't Acaeum offer some sort of stamp of approval for members who are registered here and have a good track record on ebay? This might give a few more US sellers the confidence to open up their auctions with less risk. I've come across plenty of stuff I would have been willing to bid on (and pay more than the final price achieved) but the same old 'US Only' barrier keeps cropping up. Badmike spells out the way to go to limit a lot of the risk, could this be formalised into an advice resource that quickly allows sellers to go with the right options when shipping abroad? The Internet is meant to be borderless after all. The other way around is a bit of a problem though, UK - US. Our increasingly greedy Right Royal Ripoff Mail might be a barrier that's hard to overcome.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:47 pm 

I will vouch for al (killjoy). I have dealt with him as a seller, trader, and buyer. Never a problem. He is a standup guy and NEVER defaults, and I would suspect that he even has some friends in England who are not members of this forum.

So, now you just need someone to tell you who the heck I am.... Perhaps someone might vouch for me too......  :oops:  :roll: :roll: .

awww never mind.......

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:00 pm 

Aneoth wrote:I will vouch for al (killjoy). I have dealt with him as a seller, trader, and buyer. Never a problem. He is a standup guy and NEVER defaults, and I would suspect that he even has some friends in England who are not members of this forum.

So, now you just need someone to tell you who the heck I am.... Perhaps someone might vouch for me too......  :oops:  :roll: :roll: .

awww never mind.......

hehe and yes anny is a top geezer too! always a pleasure to deal with and never had a problem either.

he can be vouched for by a great many folk

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:42 pm 

Couldn't Acaeum offer some sort of stamp of approval for members who are registered here and have a good track record on ebay?

How does that help those of us who don't have an ebay account? I don't have one of my own, and do not see a need for one in the foreseeable infinity.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:53 pm 

serleran wrote:
How does that help those of us who don't have an ebay account? I don't have one of my own, and do not see a need for one in the foreseeable infinity.

Serl

i will gladly bid for things for you on this side of the pond if you want to chummer

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Previous