Cleaning out the overstock closet
Author

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:34 pm 

I've been collecting/scavaging RPGs for about 30 years and I always sell off my excess and what doesn't sell I put into a closet in my den to age.

I've been digging things out recently, like an Empire of the Petal Throne boxed set, Ironhoof Highlands, Morrow Project, and lots of little stuff.

I have about 30 magazine boxes worth, though at least 10 or 15 are filled with common Judges Guild stuff. I'm on Box five right now.

I just pulled out a boxed set from the Complete Dungeon Masters Series (Set 3 Watchers of the Sacred Flame) and wondered if it still had any collectable value?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:53 pm 

Out of the CDM series, the best seller is CDM 2 (aside from the CDM 5 manuscript).  The others are pretty hit and miss, I would probably say you would get anywhere from $5 to $25 for it.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:58 am 

Mars wrote:Out of the CDM series, the best seller is CDM 2 (aside from the CDM 5 manuscript).  The others are pretty hit and miss, I would probably say you would get anywhere from $5 to $25 for it.

I'm sorry that I've been away from collecting for so long. Where are these CDM's for $5 or even $25? I'd buy them at that price.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:16 am 

These boxed sets don't show up too often and mainly pop up in the UK.  I think the biggest problem is that most people just don't know what they are (and don't search for them) and they fall through the cracks.

There was a short time where 1st print CDM box sets were selling higher (in the $50-$60) range but that tapered off after the mbassoc and I picked up our copies.  I do remember a seller at the end of last year had all 4 box sets and the first two sold for the opening bid of 10 pounds and the last two didn't sell.  I think they were released twice before selling.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:44 am 

any links to what these are? sound interesting....

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:57 am 

The CDM series is a campaign adventure over 4 boxed sets - a 5th was planned but not released.  There is an unfinished manuscript for CDM 5 though.  They were produced by Integrated Games which was the company resulting from a merger of Beast Entz and Endless Games.  You might be more familiar with these in their Warhammer form.  The boxed sets were revised and modified to fit into WFRP and released as Fire in the Mountains, Blood in Darkness, Death Rock and Dwarf Wars by Flame Productions, then later reprinted in 2 books by Hogshead.  Here's a link to the Hogshead versions:

http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~mdtpetri/sa ... /doom1.jpg

http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~mdtpetri/sa ... /doom2.jpg

In trying to find the other CDM auctions, the only one I could find right now is this one:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:37 am 

the older version looks/sounds pretty cool - i could be very interested in them. my kinda thing.....not so with the newer WFRP stuff tho...

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:11 pm 

Wish I had the chance to have picked up that Feathered Priests set.

Anyway, I've dug out a few more old items.

Runequest source pack beta Creatures of Chaos 1 Scorpion Men and Broos (Ray Turney/Chaosium 1978)

Paranoia Press SORAG handbook for TRAVELLER2nd print 1981

London Directory 2nd Edition in shrinkwrap (for Sherelock Holmes I believe)

Tunnels and Trolls Labyrinth 1st print

Tunnels and Trolls Buffalo Castle 1st Print

Star War 2250 Mcewan Minaitures 1975

Tournament : Melee T-102 Bearhug Publications (Counters unpunched)

Ann Arbor Wargamer #9 Oct 1977

FGU MERC Campaign Book 1: Rhosdesia (Shrinkwrapped)

FASA Thieves World The Blue Camel

Waterford Publishing House - High Colonies

The Companions Places of Mystery I & II

Embolos Naval Warfare from Salamis to actlum (Shrinkwrapped)

Empire - Scotty Bowden 1975

Excalibre Games - Cyborg, Cyborg, Cyborg - 1978

Standard Games Cry Havoc, Siege, Outremer Scenario Book 2

Galaxy Foundation Games - Warriors of the Dark Star - 1976

TSR Air Power - 1976

War Games Research Group - War Games Rules - 1974

Hartlove & Karklyn 1980 - Supergame

Gametesters/FGU Madome Guillotine 1976

Avalon Hill - The General Vol 14 #4Nov/Dec 1977

Heritage Models/ REG Games/ Wargames Research Group - Armies of the Dark Ages by Ian Heath  - 1976

SPI MOVES #1 Feb 1972 (Staples removed, 3 hole puncvhed)

Role Aids - Fez I Valley of the Trees (Green Cover) - 1982

FanTac 1977 - Orbit War (Counters Unpunched)

And that is the interesting stuff from boxes 6 and 7

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:42 pm 

All I have to say is that those are some interesting box contents. :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:44 pm 

Jason

are you going to sell them?

i am interested in some of them items....

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:13 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:the older version looks/sounds pretty cool

The boxed sets are well worth what they sell for.  I don't know why they aren't more popular they are very good.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:13 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:Jason

are you going to sell them?

i am interested in some of them items....

Al

They are destined for Ebay most likely.

I've been avoiding selling outside the USA. Is there any secure way to ship outside the USA that isn't a lot of trouble. I've had too many packages lost or reported as lost and several reported as damaged  shipping to the UK and shipping to Italy and Germany proved to be a nightmare.

One particular problem of mine is that I am partially disabled and much of the actual taking packages to the post office is done by my nephew and niece. Taking packages in for weighing and price quotes is very difficult to sometimes impossible for me. That;s one of the reasons I offer free shipping on ebay, to simplify the process for me.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:22 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:
They are destined for Ebay most likely.

I've been avoiding selling outside the USA. Is there any secure way to ship outside the USA that isn't a lot of trouble. I've had too many packages lost or reported as lost and several reported as damaged  shipping to the UK and shipping to Italy and Germany proved to be a nightmare.

One particular problem of mine is that I am partially disabled and much of the actual taking packages to the post office is done by my nephew and niece. Taking packages in for weighing and price quotes is very difficult to sometimes impossible for me. That;s one of the reasons I offer free shipping on ebay, to simplify the process for me.

jason

well i have never had any problems things being sent to me and you can ask anyone here, am sure i can be vouched for well enough.....

however from a more practical perspective, am sure that one of the guys on here that lives close to you, would be more than willing to have it sent to them and then they could send it to me.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:30 pm 

You could always just go with priority mail international flat rate boxes.

They're not always that cheap (so they're best for people who buy lots of items), but as long as it's below a certain weight and you use the boxes that USPS provides, then you can ship it for a pre-listed price based on the destination country, regardless of actual contents.

There's also a flat rate envelope (same deal, but an envelope).  I don't recommend it for anything that the buyer really wants to make sure stays undamaged though (unless you're providing a large amount of protection of your own).  I've had some rather battered ones arrive in my mail box over the past couple of months.

I have no idea on what (if anything) it provides in the way of insurance/reliability guarantees though.  You'd have to check that bit with the USPS. ;)

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:03 pm 

Which forum would be more appropriate for discussions of shipping?

Sending a package to someone other than the purchaser would have to exclude paypal as a method of payment. And any package would have to be able to be tracked. And any package would have to be sent so that the item wouldn't be damaged in shipping, which means no envelopes. I only ship in boxes with packing.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:30 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:Which forum would be more appropriate for discussions of shipping?

Sending a package to someone other than the purchaser would have to exclude paypal as a method of payment. And any package would have to be able to be tracked. And any package would have to be sent so that the item wouldn't be damaged in shipping, which means no envelopes. I only ship in boxes with packing.

Jason

appreciate what youre saying there, but we all know each other here. most of the USA guys would no doubt help out getting a package to me.

but hey if its a problem, its no biggie, dont worry about it :)

good luck with your auctions :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:12 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
Jason

appreciate what youre saying there, but we all know each other here. most of the USA guys would no doubt help out getting a package to me.

but hey if its a problem, its no biggie, dont worry about it :)

good luck with your auctions :)

Al

I'd like to work things out so you could bid on items I'm auctioning. If you want to talk about how to go about it please send me a PM.

Jason

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:14 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:Which forum would be more appropriate for discussions of shipping?

We often have discussions of shipping in different threads here.  This is probably as good as any - especially since here you are also talking about selling some items (so those who might be interested will be paying attention).

I would add that this is an international forum / community with a high degree of trust between many of the members.  Items are regularly sold directly here, often sight-unseen, and shipped all over the world.  Thus, if you decide to restrict your sales here or ebay, you may catch a little flack.  By way of example, people here will regularly ask for help on ebay auctions which are country-restricted - and are almost always offered assistance (often within minutes).  

That is one of the things which makes us all so love-able   :flower:

All very good luck with your ebay auctions  :D

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Next