Dumpster Diving For Fun...
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:53 pm 

Thrift stores throw away the weirdest stuff.

While taking out the trash at work (we share a dumpster with a thrift shop), I noticed some familiar-shaped boxes sitting down near the back of the heap.  They appeared to look interesting from my vantage point, so I promptly ignored the rule about not playing in/around dumpsters and hopped in.

When I came out, I was holding a copy of "Chill" by Pacesetter, "Space Opera" by Fantasy Games Unlimited, the "Wizard's Quest" Bookcase Game by Avalon Hill, and a "Car Wars" deluxe edition boxed set by Steve Jackson Games.

I just spent the last several hours sorting through all of them at home and as near as I can tell, they are all complete.  "Chill" seems to have all the books, the map, and a completely unpunched set of cardboard chits (the box is even in fairly good shape, just one split corner on the top lid and another on the bottom lid.  "Space Opera" likewise looks complete as far as all the books go, and even had a d6 inside.  "Car Wars" appears to be intact as well, with two small baggies: one holds a bunch of punch-out pieces and an itty-bitty d6, the other holds three sheets of maybe...4"x7" uncut cardstock vehicles and obstacles; the box is likewise slightly crushed with two split corners at the top of the lid.  "Wizard's Quest" gave me the most difficulty, as it has about a billion cardboard chits which I have managed to organize into seven different baggies and while I can't count them all to know for certain if EVERYTHING is there, it sure looks like there's more than enough to play with.  The box is beat all to hell and it looks like somebody did a huge amount of taping on all four sides of the lid in an effort to maybe reinforce it about say...20 years ago given how yellow it is.

What I want to know is, what brain-dead imbecil just threw these away?  Not that I'm complaining - they are phenomenal finds in a trash bin, but seriously...what would make somebody toss these four boxed games?  Could they just not be bothered to check and see if everything was there?

In any case, anybody got any idea what ANY of these four boxed sets are worth or if they are indeed complete?  I can provide any additional details as necessary (except for a chit count on Wizard's Quest - I'm not sitting down to count out hundreds of little bits only to be told I'm missing two Orc pieces...).

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:58 pm 

Have a look one thread along and I'm the guy hunting for a Chill box set. You're picking them out of the trash and I can't get one for money!

That thread also gives a few estimates on pricing.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:05 pm 

megnelwil wrote:Have a look one thread along and I'm the guy hunting for a Chill box set. You're picking them out of the trash and I can't get one for money!

That thread also gives a few estimates on pricing.

Oh my God, I just noticed that!

I'm so sorry, Megnelwil.  If I'd read that thread first, I wouldn't have even posted this here.  I didn't mean it to be a slap in the face to anybody. :(

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:10 pm 

Now that's eerie...

Code:
megnelwil
Active Collector

Code:
MichaelC
Active Collector

Both joined the same day, both have 20 posts, both are posting about the Pacesetter Chill RPG.  How can we be certain you aren't the same person? :lol:

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:14 pm 

MichaelC wrote:Oh my God, I just noticed that!

I'm so sorry, Megnelwil.  If I'd read that thread first, I wouldn't have even posted this here.  I didn't mean it to be a slap in the face to anybody. :(

Relax, I think it's hilarious. Besides, as g026r points out, fate has clearly intervened.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:16 pm 

Well, I live in Indiana in the US, and I've never been to the UK where my suspected alternate personality apparently resides. :)

I suppose if that's not convincing enough, you could compare IP addresses, though that probably takes a moderator or admin.

I'd just chalk it up to the fact that we're talking about "Chill" and leave it as a bizarre coincidence.  Unless you're jealous because the voices only talk to meeee... *grin*

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:16 pm 

- In any case, anybody got any idea what ANY of these four boxed sets are worth or if they are indeed complete?
over here viewtopic.php?p=89714&highlight=#89714 :lol: :lol: 10-15 bucks should be more like for that but good save michaelC!!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:23 pm 

Rakeesh sah Tarna wrote:- In any case, anybody got any idea what ANY of these four boxed sets are worth or if they are indeed complete?
over here viewtopic.php?p=89714&highlight=#89714 :lol: :lol: 10-15 bucks should be more like for that but good save michaelC!!

Thanks!

I'm not looking to sell them or anything, being such a packrat and game nut, I was just curious to know if they had any value or just got pitched because somebody "knew" they were worthless (if I do decide to part with Chill though, megnelwil, you'll be the first to know!)

Also, I didn't read the back of the Chill box as well as I thought I did, since it said there were supposed to be three 10-sided dice and not a single d6.  Not like I don't have d10s to spare, but it's not as complete as I thought at first glance.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:23 am 

It is great that you rescued them. But I imagine stuff like this gets thrown out every day.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:42 pm 

My friends at the thrift store have struck again.

This time, I was able to rescue another complete "Car Wars Deluxe Edition" boxed set, which also contained the Deluxe Edition reference screen, a complete boxed copy of the "Dueltrack" deluxe supplement (the top is caved in a bit, but otherwise it's fine), which also contained a GURPS Autoduel Car Warriors character book, and an uncut set of Cardboard Heroes (Set 18, Car Warriors).

Right under these were six issues of Autoduel Quarterly, and Uncle Albert's Auto Stop & Gunnery Shop Catalog (2035 and 2036 editions).

This is starting to get ridiculous.  I think tomorrow I'm going to have a talk with the guy who runs it and tell him that if he's going to throw away any more games like that to just set them aside for me and I'll happily pick them up from him as opposed to picking through the trash. *laugh*

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:16 am 

MichaelC wrote:I think tomorrow I'm going to have a talk with the guy who runs it and tell him that if he's going to throw away any more games like that to just set them aside for me and I'll happily pick them up from him as opposed to picking through the trash. *laugh*

Good God.  How long has he been throwing away valuable items --- not just games, but vintage items?  Has he never noticed various antique malls that have stalls filled with overpriced bric-a-brac and memorabilia?

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:48 am 

MichaelC wrote:This is starting to get ridiculous.  I think tomorrow I'm going to have a talk with the guy who runs it and tell him that if he's going to throw away any more games like that to just set them aside for me and I'll happily pick them up from him as opposed to picking through the trash. *laugh*
I see two LIKELY scenarios to owning up and informing the management of the dumpster treasures:

1) He would most certainly start charging you if he sees a profit to be made where before he saw nothing but worthless old boxes stuffed with worthless old games

2) Or is it possible an employee (who in his free time is a gaming nut) is doing the trash heap stuffing for some after work dumpster diving of his own? If you give notice to the likes of him the stuffing will stop.

Wait, a third comes to mind. 3) After you sweet talk her into it, a sweet little ole lady who knows nothing of games gives em to you in a stack each friday afternoon until they run out.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:13 am 

What kind of clientele does the thrift store have? If they're not gamers, it's not worth it to stock games.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:23 am 

You could offer to sort through the gaming stuff in exchange for first dibs.  Stores want to expand their clientele, and most thrift shops fund some worthy cause or another, so it would be a win-win.  I belong to a volunteer organization that runs a thrift shop and an obligation of the members is to contribute to and work in the shop.  We set aside possible collectibles to await a knowledgeable person's day to work.  But most thrift shops don't have 400+ people staffing it - they would probably appreciate your help.

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:03 pm 

lucyjoyce wrote:You could offer to sort through the gaming stuff in exchange for first dibs.  Stores want to expand their clientele, and most thrift shops fund some worthy cause or another, so it would be a win-win.  I belong to a volunteer organization that runs a thrift shop and an obligation of the members is to contribute to and work in the shop.  We set aside possible collectibles to await a knowledgeable person's day to work.  But most thrift shops don't have 400+ people staffing it - they would probably appreciate your help.

This sounds like the most sensible option.  The thrift store in question is a not-for-profit that helps to get battered women away from abusive spouses and back on their feet financially.  I'll talk to the manager and approach it this way (we've been too busy at work the last few days for me to go over and chat) and see what can be done.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:08 pm 

I think you're just trying to make us jealous!   :evil:

Another option you might consider is just to continue dumpster diving.  8O

Maybe you could just walk in and ask nicely if they ever get game items into their store?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:27 pm 

Good news!

I talked to the manager, and he has been quite happy to set aside the boxed games they get in to let me have a look before they go out on the shelves or get pitched.  Basically, I offered to volunteer over there once a week as someone who would be responsible for checking out the games that get donated to them.  If I can determine that they are all there (or almost all there in the case of games that have huge numbers of components like Squad Leader where missing 1-2 chits usually doesn't wreck anything), then he'll put them on the sales floor but I'll have the option to buy them before anybody else for $2 per game (his offer, not mine).  If I don't buy them, he'll take my advice on what to price them on a case-by-case basis to ensure that something super valuable doesn't go out on the floor for pennies.

Anything that is obviously missing major components or is otherwise in unplayable condition will get thrown out.

I got a very nice copy of the old TSR Gammarauders boxed set and a couple of Star Fleet Battles sets as well for $8.  Not as cheap as dumpster diving, but hey, at least I don't have to get myself all dirty and the store gets some additional money.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:46 pm 

Good to see things work out for the Store and you in this instance.

Sort of not wanting things trashed that shouldn't be is always good, and you could possibly list intact components here in case someone only needs a couple things to complete their sets or what have you. Course the truely trashed stuff probably just deserves trashing :)

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own