Unpublished TOP SECRET module
Author

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:40 am 

Greetings All!

A long, long time ago I picked up a few pieces from a collection of games once owned by Lawrence Schick. Inside the box of a TOP SECRET set I found a module written by Mr. Schick that was either for a private game or an undeveloped module for that line.

Not sure what to do with it though I value it highly as a historical artifact from the golden age of gaming.

Jason

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:24 am 

Same Jason Zavoda from the hay-days of R.G.F.M. ?

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:47 am 

lordan wrote:Same Jason Zavoda from the hay-days of R.G.F.M. ?

That's me. Back in the days when men were real men, online auctions were real online auctions and small furry creatures from alpha-centauri were real small furry creatures from alha-centauri.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:53 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:
That's me. Back in the days when men were real men, online auctions were real online auctions and small furry creatures from alpha-centauri were real small furry creatures from alha-centauri.

Nice to see you here, Jason, it's been awhile.

I don't know what the rights situation is with something like that, but it might be interesting to see if Schick retains any rights of the property..I've heard it's a bear now to contact the man, who wants nothing more to do with the hobby.  Anyway, although espionage games aren't that popular, you might see about either trying to publish it as a classic Top Secret adventure or a D20 upgrade if he gives permission.  
 Unfortunately I can't imagine the manuscript having that much worth except to longtime TSR or Top Secret afficiandos, but this site has plenty of both...you might shop it around here and see what kind of private offers you come across. So, basically, it could be worth a couple thousand bucks, or 50 bucks...manuscripts that have sold here are generally by RPG vets who are selling traditional dungeon crawls, and they have fallen in the $500-$1500 range the last few years.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:56 pm 

Its probably pretty similar to the Rob Kuntz or similar auctions where the author maintains any rights to have the work published.  As a manuscript, I would probably be in for $50 more than $500 but there might be a few others with deeper pockets than me around here.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:51 pm 

Mars wrote:Its probably pretty similar to the Rob Kuntz or similar auctions where the author maintains any rights to have the work published.  As a manuscript, I would probably be in for $50 more than $500 but there might be a few others with deeper pockets than me around here.

I'm not interested in selling, but if original game adventures from the Great Old Ones like Schick are going for under a $100 a pop I'll have to start buying them.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:55 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Nice to see you here, Jason, it's been awhile.

I don't know what the rights situation is with something like that, but it might be interesting to see if Schick retains any rights of the property..I've heard it's a bear now to contact the man, who wants nothing more to do with the hobby.  Anyway, although espionage games aren't that popular, you might see about either trying to publish it as a classic Top Secret adventure or a D20 upgrade if he gives permission.  
 Unfortunately I can't imagine the manuscript having that much worth except to longtime TSR or Top Secret afficiandos, but this site has plenty of both...you might shop it around here and see what kind of private offers you come across. So, basically, it could be worth a couple thousand bucks, or 50 bucks...manuscripts that have sold here are generally by RPG vets who are selling traditional dungeon crawls, and they have fallen in the $500-$1500 range the last few years.

Mike B.

Hey Mike,

Been a long time.

From what I learned about intellectual property rights just owning a manuscript doesn't negate the authors complete control over publication of the material. Only the original manuscript itself can be sold as a physical property.

Jason

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:04 pm 

Jason, does there happen to be a page where Larry wrote his name?  I bought an old rule book in a shop in Tucson with the name "Schick" written inside the front cover, and have always wondered if it might be THE Schick.  I'd like to see the way he wrote his name for comparison.

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:53 pm 

Welcome back, Jason :D

If you're still following GH (and I can't imagine that you're not!), then check out some of Rob Kuntz's original GH materials that are being published by his company @ http://odd74.proboards76.com/index.cgi? ... user=admin

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:32 pm 

bombadil wrote:Jason, does there happen to be a page where Larry wrote his name?  I bought an old rule book in a shop in Tucson with the name "Schick" written inside the front cover, and have always wondered if it might be THE Schick.  I'd like to see the way he wrote his name for comparison.

There are a number of character sheets he filled out (even included himself as a character for Top Secret under his own name) so I have his printed name several times and a page or two of handwritten notes, a strange drawing of a sci-fi figure on the back of an add for a movie, among other things with the module.

I can scan one of the sheets with his name if you want a comparison.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:39 pm 

grodog wrote:Welcome back, Jason :D

If you're still following GH (and I can't imagine that you're not!), then check out some of Rob Kuntz's original GH materials that are being published by his company @ http://odd74.proboards76.com/index.cgi? ... user=admin

I've retreated back to the beginnings of Greyhawk (just the folio, boxed set and early modules). I've picked up a few dozen of the Mage Knight Giants, and I'm working on a scale model of Nosnra's Steading. (The thing is going to be freakin' huge). I'm chopping some of the Giant figs so that I can have giant bodies, and I'm working on some rules for falling giant damage. I have enough of them to represent every giant in the steading, just need to customize them from their awful Mage Knight steampunk sculpt.

I will check out Rob's GH material and hope for that old school gaming style I loved .

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:10 pm 

Jason, your steading sounds very cool---it must the in the air to create models of old GH sites:  Paul Stormberg had a T1 Moathouse custom built last year; you can see it in his threads here and on DF, and in my gallery of pics from our Chainmail game this year @ http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictu ... 2090630524

JasonZavoda wrote:I will check out Rob's GH material and hope for that old school gaming style I loved .

Apparently I had a cut/paste error in the previous link.  Rob's PPP boards are @ http://pub175.ezboard.com/bpiedpiperpublishing and his site is @ http://www.pied-piper-publishing.com/

Sorry for the confusion, if any.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:01 pm 

Jason,

Does the scenario have a title?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:38 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:
There are a number of character sheets he filled out (even included himself as a character for Top Secret under his own name) so I have his printed name several times and a page or two of handwritten notes, a strange drawing of a sci-fi figure on the back of an add for a movie, among other things with the module.

I can scan one of the sheets with his name if you want a comparison.

Would very much appreciate a scan of his name, preferably, or other writing if possible.  I've just packed my books away because of a move for the next year, but would like to have your scan for comparison when I get back to my stash.  Email:  [email protected].

Many thanks!   :D

-Stephen

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:57 am 

zhowar wrote:Jason,

Does the scenario have a title?

The title is 'Mohawk White'. Anyone ever heard of it?

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:19 am 

bombadil wrote:
Would very much appreciate a scan of his name, preferably, or other writing if possible.  I've just packed my books away because of a move for the next year, but would like to have your scan for comparison when I get back to my stash.  Email:  [email protected].

Many thanks!   :D

-Stephen

Email with scan has been sent. Let me know if you received it and if the writing was clear enough. I can probably enlarge the section where he wrote out his name.

Jason

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:56 am 

JasonZavoda wrote:

The title is 'Mohawk White'. Anyone ever heard of it?

No. Google doesn't turn up anything that seems relevant. (Mohawk White sheets anyone? Those poodles are frightening...)

I checked the Gen Con Programs for 1980-1982 (Gen Con X - XII), but didn't see any tournaments judged by Schick (Top Secret or otherwise).

Schick is listed under the "Helpful Suggestions" credit in the Top Secret rulebook (2nd printing, April 1980), but that seems to be his only TS connection. He's not listed in the credits for TS002, TS003, or the Admin Screen mini-module. Nothing useful in Heroic Worlds, either.

Any date associated with the manuscript?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:31 am 

Doesn't ring any bells to me, either, Jason.

Relatedly, having a secure site archive/resource where it would be possible to see scans of legit autographs would be helpful:  I say secure, so that it's not something a forger could readily access, but perhaps it's something that could be maintained by the Valuation Board or Foul or something else.

Thoughts?

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Next