THE REVENGE OF RUSAK
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:25 am 

I now own two copies of The Revenge of Rusak: one of the 'stupid' AC5 sticker and one without. Are they both interesting to collect or I can sell one of them and keep the other? What is the most collectible?

Thanks for the help!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:57 am 

Howdy,

Sotterraneo wrote:I now own two copies of The Revenge of Rusak: one of the 'stupid' AC5 sticker and one without. Are they both interesting to collect or I can sell one of them and keep the other? What is the most collectible?

On this particular item, you'll gain no windfall at reselling - so might as well keep both. Besides, I find it very satisfying to own complete print runs. It tells a tangible history of the product.

My 1st through umpteenth printing of the Players Handbook, Monster Manual, and 1977 Basic Dungeons and Dragons sets are a joy to compare and admire. The funny thing is, I never intended to collect entire print runs. The various printings just started appearing as I sought a first print or bought lots and collections from various sources.

Once you let go of an item, you may never see one again or get one so cheaply or in such nice shape. Perhaps, "A woodgrain in the hand is better than two in the eBay listings." :wink:

Of course, the down side is that it can be expensive - the less you resell the less money you have for new additions to your collection. If you do let it go, you can still vicariously satisfy your complete-print-run cravings at the Acaeum.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:05 pm 

Ah, yes, the eternal tension between wanting to keep every piece and going into debt ... if I didn't resell from my collection, either I'd go bankrupt or my girlfriend would kick me out of my own home.  Likely both.  I'm an eternal advocate of the self-funding collection; it's a mutant, ever-growing organism that needs to split itself to grow larger and prosper.
:D

Stormber's right on the money.

To answer the question at hand, specifically - the Rusak with the sticker seems to be harder to find.  Now whether that means you keep the "non-sticker" to make more money, or keep the "sticker" because it's cool, I leave up to you.  But unless complete and unpunched, this one doesn't bring in too much.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:04 am 

darkseraphim wrote:To answer the question at hand, specifically - the Rusak with the sticker seems to be harder to find.  Now whether that means you keep the "non-sticker" to make more money, or keep the "sticker" because it's cool, I leave up to you.  But unless complete and unpunched, this one doesn't bring in too much.

I have more mundane collecting habits - one copy in decent shape and complete is enough (albeit I admit making exceptions for British editions of D&D items... for example I own the B1 pastel US and the B1 pastel UK - luckily GW did so few D&D items I'm not spending major money chasing them  :wink: ). Both copies are complete and unpunched, so I think I'll sell the Unstickered One and I'll keep for the collection the Stickered Other  :D