AD&D first editions
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:29 pm 

Hi,

I've been thinking about unloading my AD&D books and seeing similar on ebay for about 10 bucks or less, figured it wasn't worth bothering.  But I recently discovered this site and was able to ascertain that they were all first printings, which apparently makes them worth something.  I recall a buddy of mine (there were four of us and we all bought all of these) actually had the DM guide with the MM pages accidently in it and I swear I think he sent it back for a correct replacement.   If only we'd known...  :roll:

Below is a link to pics of these and I will describe a few things here.  I can't get the gallery they gave me at AOL to put them in order unfortunately, but there is a front/back of each along with the inside front.  The MM is probably the poorest of the bunch in terms of what shape it's in; it appears to have gotten damp at some point so I am posting a pic on the edge of it so you can see how the last 50-60 pages obtained a slight ripple to them.  The player's handbook is the standard 1st printing, not the "true" first printing.

All of these have some minor scuffing on the covers, the DM guide has a thin line down the back where the cover bubbled a bit.  I think it actually came that way when I got it.  All the spines are intact with no tears, in good shape inside, none of these are anywhere close to coming apart.  I had to hold the DM guide open with my hand to take the inside photo as the spine is still strong enough to want to pull the book closed rather than lay flat/open.  

The pages in all volumes are intact with no rips or creases and there is no writing or major staining, fingermarks or significant damage on any of them except as noted above in the MM.  They were bought by me when they originally came out 1977-79 era and have been in storage for about 25 years.

What I'd like to know is:

1) a rough estimate of what these are worth individually.  Are they worth more as a set?  I have a notion based on the figures published on the frontpage of this site but would like some opinions.

2) do you think ebay is the best place to sell them or would you recommend some alternate venue?

You can view them at http://pictures.aol.com/galleries/rbaker2868

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:57 pm 

They don't look as bad as some of the copies I've seen.  I think each would be valuable enough to be listed separately too.  Ebay would be the best place to sell them but post a link in the classified section here and on dragonsfoot.org

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:21 pm 

I would guess that they would sell for 20-50 USD each on e-bay. The black spots on the back of your monster manual are a little worrying.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:51 pm 

ifearyeti wrote:I would guess that they would sell for 20-50 USD each on e-bay. The black spots on the back of your monster manual are a little worrying.

I think that the Monster Manual is pretty heavily water damaged which means those black spots are likely mold spots.  Look at the side view of the Monster Manual picture:

If thats the case that pretty much relegates the Monster Manual to Poor condition and it also poses a significant thread to any other books in the area.  IMO, the PHB and DMG both look pretty decent so I'd say values of the three if you eould list them individually(and assuming that those books have not also been mold infected):

DMG: $30 to $40

PHB:  $45 to $55

MM: Its tough to say, it is a 1st print, but man the mold would scare the heck out of me if I was buying it.  I'd say at the most $20.  

If the MM was simply water damaged, you might be able to pull out $30 to $35, but putting a moldy book into your collection is really just an invition to disaster for the rest of your collection, so I think that is going to scare away a lot of possible bidders. I know it would scare me. :)  

Either way welcome to the forum and good luck whichever way you end up going. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:18 pm 

does white oval at back of phb also have spotting? was phb stored with mm? same question for dmg

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:25 pm 

Rakeesh sah Tarna wrote:does white oval at back of phb also have spotting? was phb stored with mm? same question for dmg

Yikes, after looking at all of them a second time, it sure does look like both the DMG and the PHB have some mold on them too.  If that is the case, that pretty much devalues the other 2 considerably as well.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:52 am 

Spots on the back of the MM are clearly mold; on PH and DM looks more like dirt.  Is there a way to tell for sure?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:05 am 

Nothing like a little aspergillis to go with your Bugbears.
If they were kept anywhere near each other, it's a safe bet that all are contaminated. Realistically, I don't think it devaluates the book; it completely takes it off the market. No collector would risk adding moldy books to his collection.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:30 am 

You might want to check out the "What to do if you find mold" page on the DragonsFoot Collector Forum:

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15434

I've never tried these steps, but it can't hurt.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:42 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:Nothing like a little aspergillis to go with your Bugbears.
If they were kept anywhere near each other, it's a safe bet that all are contaminated. Realistically, I don't think it devaluates the book; it completely takes it off the market. No collector would risk adding moldy books to his collection.

Dead is right....these might belong in the trash.   I would attempt to clean them up with Goo Be Gone, bleach or the equivalent, but in the end it might just be better to toss these.  It's not worth the S-storm of infection that would happen once these got next to uncontaminated goodies...

Mike b.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:36 pm 

Badmike wrote:Dead is right....these might belong in the trash.   I would attempt to clean them up with Goo Be Gone, bleach or the equivalent, but in the end it might just be better to toss these.  It's not worth the S-storm of infection that would happen once these got next to uncontaminated goodies...

But if the condition is mentioned and not hidden, then the eBay market can determine what their value is.  "Has mold/had mold" and "Needs a serious cleaning/Cleaned with such-and-such" combined with photos will let the potential buyer know that mold was a problem.  If the mold came back after the books were sold, then the buyer would be pissed if he hadn't known they were previously infected.

The books might be worth a few dollars to use in a mold-killing experiment --- freezing, exposing to sunlight, microwaving, cleaning with solvents, etc.  The old hardbacks are sturdy and might survive a good cleaning.  But they'd fetch more on eBay.