Orange B3
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:24 am 

I believe every module has at least 2 different values.  One is what you would expect a module to sell for (i.e. if you saw it on eBay), and another is what someone would have to offer you to part with yours.  
I'm curious to know, of the people here who own an Orange B3, what price someone would have to offer you for you to sell it?  
If I were to post in the Classifieds that I was looking to buy an Orange B3, what price do you think I would need to post to get a response?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:04 am 

I would say it depends on whether you want a shrink copy or not, and what condition.  I know some folks prefer opened copies over shrinked.  My guess is well over $1000 for shrink copy, though I could be wrong.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:53 am 

Yes, over $1000 for a shrinked copy, most definitely.

Let mirth prevail!

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:51 am 

i would say roughly 23 bucks... but you're lucky! today i have some "spare" money and i could offer you the charming amount of 30 bucks! :D

I am the servant of the Secret Maps, Wielder of the flame of Clone!
You cannot quote! The dark spam will not avail you, flame of Udun.
Go back to the Shadow! You... cannot... post!!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:21 pm 

aia wrote:i would say roughly 23 bucks... but you're lucky! today i have some "spare" money and i could offer you the charming amount of 30 bucks! :D

That's a great price aia.  I'll take your orange copy of B3 for $30.  I'll even pay for postage.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:48 pm 

I believe every module has at least 2 different values.  One is what you would expect a module to sell for (i.e. if you saw it on eBay), and another is what someone would have to offer you to part with yours.  

Exactly! Price does not necessarily equal value.

I have Roslof's copy. It's opened and in pretty good shape (probably very fine). I don't know how much the market would value it (maybe $500), but I would probably need a premium to sell it (that's why it's not on eBay right now!).

To get someone to sell something (B3 or otherwise) when they had no intention of doing so previously, will demand a premium.. perhaps a very high one. 10% over market value, 100%, who knows. There's no hard and fast rule.

If I were you, I'd just ask myself what's the absolute maximum I'd be willing to pay for a B3, which would probably factor in the probability of finding one on eBay in the next year or so, which I could get at the market price, discounting for time. Then low ball that number as much as possible that would still get someone to sell it to me. So maybe start at market value or 5-10% above (there are probably some collectors on the margin around here). I'd then raise my number if I got no hits.

I.e. Trial and error.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:52 pm 

Mars wrote:
That's a great price aia.  I'll take your orange copy of B3 for $30.  I'll even pay for postage.

I'll take the orange AND the B3 (but not for $30)... :lol:

A Wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins, nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:26 am 

If you own it, and didn't plan to sell it, then the incentive would have to be good.

Anywhere from 50% to 400%.

It really depends how badly you want to buy it, and how reluctant the seller is to part with it.

That being said.  You'll find people who wouldn't sell under any circumstances.

Gary H. Kramer

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:00 am 

There are certain factors that combine to make an item highly collectible.  One is mystique.  The OB3 has that going for it.  It's an intruiguing item, with subtle jokes and symbolism (okay, some not so subtle) in the graphics, plus an interesting history.  I'm not just referring to the history of the item itself, but also the goings-on at TSR around the time it was written and published.  Highly collectible item, especially shrink-wrapped.  I thought of selling mine once, and even put it on ebay, but quickly pulled it down.  It would be very hard to part with.

The Oz G- and D-series mods also have some qualities that make them a great collectible as a group:  nice artwork, great colors, and the fact that they're a series (on top of being awesomely fun adventures).

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:46 pm 

The Oz G- and D-series mods also have some qualities that make them a great collectible as a group:  nice artwork, great colors, and the fact that they're a series (on top of being awesomely fun adventures).

Hyping your new additions, are we? :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:07 pm 

But of course... :lol:

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:12 pm 

When I first saw the Oz G mod pics, I thought 'That's how the first print should look like.' Very cool.