DA4
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:25 am 

I found a copy of the DA4 Blackmoor module in a local used book store.  They want $25.00 for it.  Any thoughts?

SH60B's quote of the weeK!!

SimperingToad wrote in Old Candidates: Silliest Auction Prices of the Year:Okay, I don't know if I've ever typed this before, but WTF?!!

Follow The Acaeum on Twitter @TheAcaeum

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:33 am 

get it cheaper on ebay chummer.

Al

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:22 am 

i dont agree with al! you'd consider that you avoid S&H... referring to a F/VF copy, it is definitely a good bargain!
however you'd judge if it is worth or not according to the condition of the item!
ciaooo

I am the servant of the Secret Maps, Wielder of the flame of Clone!
You cannot quote! The dark spam will not avail you, flame of Udun.
Go back to the Shadow! You... cannot... post!!!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:11 am 

If it is in nice condition and has the fold out map, it is a fair deal.  I would list a high grade complete DA4 for about $45 in my ebay store.

It would sell within two months . . . guaranteed.

DA4 on ebay that are $20 or less (with shipping factored in) are vulnerable to resellers . . . I have no problem with doubling my money so it's hard to get a good deal . . .

:wink:

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:46 am 

It's a used bookstore. Hand them a ten and a five and you will get it. Explain to them that it is worth that much.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:54 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:It's a used bookstore. Hand them a ten and a five and you will get it. Explain to them that it is worth that much.

Now that is good advice!

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:45 am 

It is a big chain book store, they arent going to change thier price, best I can hope for is one of thier 20% of sales that none of the employees seem to know when they are but it might be gone by then.  I'd say it is VG to FN condition, so I'll prob stew over it a few days then go get it, lol.

SimperingToad wrote in Old Candidates: Silliest Auction Prices of the Year:Okay, I don't know if I've ever typed this before, but WTF?!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:04 pm 

Hide it behind "O.J. is Innocent" or some other fictional book that no one is interested in. When the sale comes, retrieve it and it is yours.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:10 pm 

SH60B wrote:It is a big chain book store, they arent going to change thier price, best I can hope for is one of thier 20% of sales that none of the employees seem to know when they are but it might be gone by then.  I'd say it is VG to FN condition, so I'll prob stew over it a few days then go get it, lol.

Must be a Half Price books....I wouldn't wait for a sale, it will disappear before that, at least it would in these parts....!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:30 pm 

Unfortunately Half Price Books has gotten savvy to the D&D collectors, I used to go in and buy modules for $2-$5, now the cheapest one I have seen lately is $7.95.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:49 am 

SH60B wrote:Unfortunately Half Price Books has gotten savvy to the D&D collectors, I used to go in and buy modules for $2-$5, now the cheapest one I have seen lately is $7.95.

Yeh, but they still don't know their ass from a hole in their head.  Last year I bought a white box complete with all supplements (Greyhawk, Blackmoor, etc) for $25.  Meanwhile, the same store has common Judge's Guild items (Maltese Clue, Scrapfaggot Green, Unknown Gods) for the same price, they have been sitting on the shelf for over a year.  Often, if something LOOKS old and valuable, they will price it up whether it is or not.  So, for example, they may price an entire pile of D&D modules for 9.99, but half could be stuff like X1, B2, etc, while the other half could be the complete R-series. Unless a particular store has a collector on board, their pricing will be this type of all over the map...

Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:18 am 

Badmike wrote:
Yeh, but they still don't know their ass from a hole in their head.  Last year I bought a white box complete with all supplements (Greyhawk, Blackmoor, etc) for $25....

I bet you had a mild heart attack, lol

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:26 am 

Yeh, but they still don't know their ass from a hole in their head.  Last year I bought a white box complete with all supplements (Greyhawk, Blackmoor, etc) for $25.  Meanwhile, the same store has common Judge's Guild items (Maltese Clue, Scrapfaggot Green, Unknown Gods) for the same price, they have been sitting on the shelf for over a year.  Often, if something LOOKS old and valuable, they will price it up whether it is or not.  So, for example, they may price an entire pile of D&D modules for 9.99, but half could be stuff like X1, B2, etc, while the other half could be the complete R-series. Unless a particular store has a collector on board, their pricing will be this type of all over the map...

This is exactly how they do it, least in our neck of the woods. Something that is old and D&D'ish is marked up to 7.95 or 9.95... but a rare gem or even something like a Minothrad Guilds or Red Sonja won't be priced any differently. I could easily see R1-R4 seeling for $7.95 a piece.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:49 am 

SH60B wrote:
I bet you had a mild heart attack, lol

It was pretty shocking.  It's just funny that at the same store they had a bunch of crap priced at $25 also, like they said "Oh, yeh, that's some old valuable D&D stuff, put $25 on every item", and the only item what was worth $25, was actually worth ten times that!
  One guy at a HPB told me they don't use Ebay for pricing evaluations, which makes you wonder where on earth they pull out prices on stuff like that, since Ebay is pretty much the only marketplace for items like a white box set.

Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:18 pm 

Well, I found a $5.00 off coupon and made it back to the store to pick it up and low a behold a GDQ1-7 sitting next to it for $7.95!!!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:31 am 

Where do you live? ;)

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/