Map Critique #1 - The City of Liberty
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:26 pm 

OK, after having looked into this closer, I like the city. It is pretty slick and would fit well within my campaign world. It will be the center of a bustling trade in a smaller kingdom, and be the largest city on that continent. Thanks for pointing this out, as I had not heard of it before.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:53 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:What's Shackled City Like?
Anyone have a link to the maps?

http://www.ajs.com/ajswiki/Maps_and_han ... ty_players

You probably wont want to use the city of Cauldron as a typical city.  :lol:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:02 pm 

Downloaded Guide to Korvosa, $13 from Piazo.

For me there is a lack of quality in the detailing of the map. It is generic, bland and the designer has found it hard to be creative and add points of interest. Based on what I see in Guide to Korvosa, I would prefer Ptolus, which shows a little more detail and quality in the map artwork, but the same blandness that maked for a city that players consider the same old same old. Yes, a good DM can dress up anything and make it sound interesting, but for me a good quality map, and good quality writing, is meant to make the DM's job easier.

For me, Korvosa doesn't do it. It is an also ran. Just another city design. Don't know if the writers will win any awards, but the artists certainly won't for their cartography.

So, was Shackled City ever released in PDF?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:43 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Does anyone know if Paizo has any future plans to combine their adventure paths into single hardbacks similar to Shackled City?

I believe they have said there are no plans to do this as they  feel it will cannibalize the sales of individual adventure path chapters.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:01 pm 

Grug Greyskin wrote:
I believe they have said there are no plans to do this as they  feel it will cannibalize the sales of individual adventure path chapters.

Hmmm...I can understand that.  I'd just rather pay $70 or $80 for a hardbound book containing all of the material than $19.99 each for each chapter.  Is every chapter 96 pages?  When they first started Pathfinder I thought that $19.99 was a bit expensive but when you compare it to the DCC modules that run between $11.99 and $15.99 with a bit less in the page counts I guess that price is about right.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:10 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Hmmm...I can understand that.  I'd just rather pay $70 or $80 for a hardbound book containing all of the material than $19.99 each for each chapter.  Is every chapter 96 pages?  When they first started Pathfinder I thought that $19.99 was a bit expensive but when you compare it to the DCC modules that run between $11.99 and $15.99 with a bit less in the page counts I guess that price is about right.

Get a subscription..its $13.99 then and free PDF.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:21 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:

They are all 96 pgs.  It is usually about half adventure, the rest being setting related fluff material, a monster or two etc.  d20 and Pathfinder  are certainly not for everybody, but especially at the subscription price, you get plenty of material for your money.

Previous