Vampire Queen-Added more information
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:53 pm 

Ordinarily I lurk but a recent find has brought me to post, say hello once again and ask some advice.  I recently bought out a collection of what I thought was exclusively old war games (by SPI, AH and others) but as I sit here on my stool I am stunned at what I have found.  Can anyone give me their best idea of how much these would appraise for?  Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

1) Dungeon Masters Kit - Number 1 Palace of the Vampire Queen.  First printing, would grade the black folder at near mint to mint.  Inside contents are mint.

2) Judges Guild Guide to the City State.  It is a small paper back booklet with a picture of a village on the cover, copywrite 1976.  Along with the booklet are a slew of fold out maps and dungeon level maps for J-1 and I-1 and the Orange covered Guidelines Booklet J.  All are in mint condition.

Here is what I learned by using the JG references here.  What I have is:

Folded City State (code 1) maps 1-4 with the Hammermill watermark
Folded City State map that I could not find on the Acaeum site that shows overview of all four maps together with Hammermill watermark
Thunderhold judges and players map (code 15) 1st printings
Guide to the City State booklet (code 10)
Guidelines Booklet J (code 16)
Dungeon Level Maps I maps 1-5 (code 8 ) second printing. Strangly, I have maps for levels 1, 2 and 4 in the dark orange printing and maps 3 and 5 in the yellow printing.
Dungeon Level Maps J maps 1-4 (code 17)
Awesome City State cover sheet with warrior riding on a pegasus.  The welcome to the City State letter is on the back with an intro by Dave Arneson.
Judges Guildmember subscription sheet
Judges Guild subscription card as posted here on the site

3) Sauron - The Battle for the Ring, S.A. 3434 by SPI.  This is a an unpunched folio game licensed by Tolkein enterprises and produced in 1976.  I know this might fall out of the realm of the Acaeum, but I was hoping someone might have some idea if this little folder game is that rare or of value.

These were stored carefully in plastic since they were produced.

I have to describe the moment I opened it and saw what was in the envelope.   8O I have played D&D since 1980 and never thought I would see, much less hold, let alone own the original Vampire Queen.  I nearly hyperventilated when I was telling my wife about it.

I have 3 and 1/2 more boxes of stuff to go through and I am taking my time and enjoying every minute of it.  I won't make everyone cry by posting what I paid for the entire lot of games.

Thank you,

Andy

Last edited by Boreas on Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:11 am 

My recollection was that at least two VQs had sold in the past few months, but a quick eBay search @ http://search-completed.ebay.com/search ... age=search only found Frank's copy; perhaps you'll have to dig through the Non-TSR interesting items to find the others.  Frank's copy was a later printing than your copy, which would command a higher price; see http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/modpages/dmk.html for further details, of course :D

I'm sure others will chime in on the JG and SPI values.

If you find any interesting tourneys, OD&D box sets, etc., do please chime back in---it's always fun to share in these discoveries, even if only vicariously :D :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:59 am 

This one went for $695

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:29 am 

That last Vampire Queen wasn't a black folder version - I would say a black folder edition in near mint condition would raise $800-1000 without breaking a sweat.

Great find - congratulations.

Regards

Mike

Demand of them whither they should comme to devide the worlde with the Emperour? And as they answered, he tooke up his shirte behinde and shewed them his buttocks, sayenge unto them, drawe your Lyne throughe the middest of *this* place.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:21 am 

mdr003 wrote:That last Vampire Queen wasn't a black folder version - I would say a black folder edition in near mint condition would raise $800-1000 without breaking a sweat.

Great find - congratulations.

Regards

Mike

yes i agree. i think there are a swarm of ppl who would most certainly have a damn good stab at it, especially in that condition!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:57 am 

Thank you for the information so far.  As I have mentioned already, finding it unexpectadly will be something I won't ever forget.  I did get through all the boxes of fun stuff last night.  My game room is now littered with close to 100 old bookcase and boxed games.  I did not find anything else in the rank of the items I listed, but there is well over $2000 in rare war gaming titles including some of the first things produced by Task Force Games, Avalon Hill, SPI and others.  Despite that, I feel that the gem find of PotVQ has somehow diminished the significant of the rest of the lot.  How pathetic is that?

I understand the focus on the PotVQ and have been reading an incredible thread devoted to this item back when there was investigation into which was the true 1st printing.  I do hope that someone could tell me how rare or valuable the Judges Guild material is also.

Many thanks for the kind comments and the help I have received.  This is a community that I have admired from afar for some time.

Andy

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:29 am 

Boreas wrote: I do hope that someone could tell me how rare or valuable the Judges Guild material is also.

Many thanks for the kind comments and the help I have received.  This is a community that I have admired from afar for some time.

Andy

Andy

there is a judges guild area on the site near the bottom of the forum. go have a look in there. there is plenty of info there that will help with regards to CSIO.

if you have no luck there, try a look on the subweb, http://www.acaeum.com/jg/

Shane has developed the whole section there and it is fantastic to say the very least, with contributions off a great many ppl here and elsewhere.

hope you find what youre looking for! mind you, if you post a msg in the JG forum section, under either CSIO or judges guild questions, any of the guys who look there, will help you out if you make it clear what youre wanting to know. of course, pictures always help too.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:40 am 

Boreas wrote:I understand the focus on the PotVQ and have been reading an incredible thread devoted to this item back when there was investigation into which was the true 1st printing.  

Andy

Congrats on the great find!  Those black folder versions seem very scarce, and given their delicate packaging a NM and complete copy is indeed a gem of a find.  Enjoy, it's quite a unique folder/package!  :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:21 pm 

a2jeff wrote:
Congrats on the great find!  Those black folder versions seem very scarce, and given their delicate packaging a NM and complete copy is indeed a gem of a find.  Enjoy, it's quite a unique folder/package!  :D

and i would prb add there, think VERY hard before you sell it, because if you do, you are more than likely to never have one again.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:03 pm 

Thank you again for the great replies and the kind words regarding the lucky find.

I will repost the information relating to the Judges Guild material in the other forum.  Thank you for pointing me in that direction.

I have a question about how I should care for this in the immediate.  Currently it is in what appears to be the original oversized poly bag that it was sent out in.  As was mentioned many times in discussion of this item, the folder leaves the door open for damage of the interior pages.  Would anyone please comment on how they store theirs in order to prevent damage to the cover or internal pages?

I plan on scanning the pages and cover and will post them here if there is interest.  After that, I would like to put the thing away in a safe place because I am nervous about leaving it sitting about.  Finally, I am likely to put this item up for sale.  I appreciate the caution that a few folks have put up, but truth be told, old first printings like this are one of the ONLY things I don't collect and I can't afford to begin now.  If I do decide to sell, would anyone care to offer ideas about how to best do this (ebay vs private vs ?)

Thanks,
Andy

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:07 pm 

Boreas wrote:Here is what I learned by using the JG references here.  What I have is:

Folded City State (code 1) maps 1-4 with the Hammermill watermark
Folded City State map that I could not find on the Acaeum site that shows overview of all four maps together with Hammermill watermark
Thunderhold judges and players map (code 15) 1st printings
Guide to the City State booklet (code 10)
Guidelines Booklet J (code 16)
Dungeon Level Maps I maps 1-5 (code 8 ) second printing. Strangly, I have maps for levels 1, 2 and 4 in the dark orange printing and maps 3 and 5 in the yellow printing.
Dungeon Level Maps J maps 1-4 (code 17)
Awesome City State cover sheet with warrior riding on a pegasus.  The welcome to the City State letter is on the back with an intro by Dave Arneson.
Judges Guildmember subscription sheet
Judges Guild subscription card as posted here on the site

Andy

Conservative estimate: $75-100 since you have the complete CSIO Playing Aid with subscription card, etc. As for #8 maps, the paper color is like that for 99% if not 100% (they didn't make a I-3 and I-5 darker map that I am aware of). Your second map that you couldn't find should be the players map: http://www.acaeum.com/jg/Item0004.html (far right set of pics)

Great find and pretty hard to get complete as well as in great condition.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:09 pm 

Ebay is probably your best bet.  As long as you post it with a few pictures and post a link to the auction in the Classifieds section here, I'm sure you will do fine.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:42 pm 

Boreas wrote:
I plan on scanning the pages and cover and will post them here if there is interest.

One thing to note, please do NOT post all the pictures of all the pages(or whole pages), here or anywhere for that matter.  Cover, sure, parts of a couple pages, thats cool too, but please do not post all the pasges or even whole pages at a time. PotVQ is defintely an easy canidate to create your own, if you now what I mean. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Last edited by bclarkie on Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:54 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
One thing to note, please do post all the pictures of all the pages(or whole pages), here or anywhere for that matter.  Cover, sure, parts of a couple pages, thats cool too, but please do not post all the pasges or even whole pages at a time. PotVQ is defintely an easy canidate to create your own, if you now what I mean. :)

I guess you meant please do not post all the pictures... :wink:

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:57 pm 

bombadil wrote:
I guess you meant please do not post all the pictures... :wink:

Oops.  :oops: That is correct, please Do NOT post all the pictures. :)

*fixes post*

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:58 pm 

Whew!   :D

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:05 pm 

yeah i agree.

if you just post a few "teaser" pics, but show a nice sharp one of the cover/back etc, i think you will garnish all the interest you are likely to get from them.

no need to really show more than that, and as BC says, its very easy to duplicate and i certainly wouldnt put it past some...

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:13 pm 

Good advice.  I will curtail the posting of the copies with exception of the covers and a page or two inside.  Are there particular pages that would help an interested party to know what they are looking at?  By the way, did I mention I have 40 copies of the bagged edition up for sale?  :wink:

Anyone willing to share how I should (or they do) store the folder and pages?

Thank you for the information on the judges guild material.  The original cover sheet to the set refers to "Two booklets of Rules, Rumors and Renegades" as well as "Ten Dungeon Levels".  Do I assume I am missing these two rulebooklets and one level of dungeon?  I have not heard talk of the J series of dungeons having 5 levels.

Many thanks for all the good advice and help.  Most advice suggests that I offer this on ebay though I always wonder if any extra money that is made is ofset by the fees you end up pushing toward the ebay czars.  Anyone remember what the last black folder 1st sold for on ebay?  I know condition can make all the difference here, but I am curious.

Andy

Next