10th Anniversary Set
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:50 pm 

Okay, I just got the set from Tom (10th Anniversary Boot Hill). I'm very disappointed because the shrink has been torn off, so all the modules fall out. Moreover, BH4 isn't even shrinkwrapped. The box set has been crushed a bit. It didn't even have the yellow card, although he says he'll mail it to me.

I told him I'd like to mail it back for a refund, although I could probably break even by selling it piecemeal (I figure I could get $30 for the box, $35 for range war, etc). Conversely, I could keep it and include my own extra shrinked BH4 for the set.

I'd like anyone's two cents on this one. It surely wasn't as in the condition described in the auction.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:23 pm 

Can you post the auction link?

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:50 pm 

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:00 pm 

guess it comes down to how satisfied you are.

if you have things that can make it complete the way you want it and are then happy with it, i would leave it be and just not leave feedback, and just mention it to the seller that you were very unhappy and why.

however its clearly not in the state that he has advertised in the auction, so you can quite legitimately send it back and get a full refund.

so i guess it all boils down to how you feel about it all and whether its worth all the hassle to go through the refund process.

considering what you paid, i would send it back personally, specially wiht the box being crushed.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:11 pm 

considering what you paid, i would send it back personally, specially wiht the box being crushed.

It would come at a $15 loss (original ship plus return postage).. but looking at the set in its current state is almost depressing.

Thanks for the support. I've already asked for one.. and I'll try to push it through.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:02 pm 

I dont get it.  There is clearly a picture of the set fully shrinked in the auction and the box isn't crushed at all.  The only question at the time of this auction was whether or not it was in fact a 10th Anniversary set or not, because you could not see the yellow tag.  So are you saying that the picture in the auction isn't the same set as you received or are you saying that it was damaged in the transit?  

If it was a damaged in transit thing I might understand, but if you are something other than that then something doesn't seem right here.   I have dealt with this guy several times in the past and have never had anything even resembling a problem.  Also, looking at his feedback, he has a total of two negs, one of the negs is a retaliatory neg from a seller and the other appears to be an error. Not exactly looking at a guy who makes a habit out selling things with false and misleading descriptions here.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:24 pm 

If it was a damaged in transit thing I might understand, but if you are something other than that then something doesn't seem right here.   I have dealt with this guy several times in the past and have never had anything even resembling a problem.  Also, looking at his feedback, he has a total of two negs, one of the negs is a retaliatory neg from a seller and the other appears to be an error. Not exactly looking at a guy who makes a habit out selling things with false and misleading descriptions here.

The packaging.. well there was no packaging.. and the box wasn't exactly a normal box (it was cut out of carboard so it wasn't completely level).  This could explain how the box got crushed a little bit (its still in pretty good/fine condition). But there wasn't room for it to shuffle around, however. So it is almost inconceivable that the shrink damage could have incurred in transit. Regardless, a $100 item with $12 shipping could probably expect at least normal packaging.

Furthermore, the description says it was never opened (only that it had tears). Well this is simply not true. The thing was clearly opened and modules were taken out of it [in fact, for some reason, an extra referee screen was stuffed in there]. One of the modules, BH4 was even torn out of its shrinkwrap and has been read (it has a LOT of wear.. the thing is in maybe fair condition).

In sum, I simply cannot imagine how the shrink can fall off mid-transit.. the BH4 jump out and take a beating.. go back inside, and then arrive at my door.

At the end of the day, I don't really care about his past feedback.. nor do I particularly care if the oversight was legitimate or not. After all, he may have innocently overlooked the gapping hole in the shrinkwrap and the abuse BH4 has been subjected to over the years. I'm not looking to out the guy as a "shady" dealer. Mistakes happen.

The bottom line is that the item is in no where close to the condition described in the auction and as a result has left me greatly disappointed.  The question is now what is the best way to adjust to it.

Last edited by Sea-to-sky-games on Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:25 pm 

As I mentioned to Al, with the yellow the card from Tom I could make the set look pretty nice by throwing in an extra minty BH4 (probably a $30 value) I have.. so the only blemishes would be the box wear and the shrink having been torn off.

But it seems -- after reflecting on it more -- the easiest thing to do is just do away with the whole problem and get a refund, as Al suggests.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:36 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:
The packaging.. well there was no packaging.. and the box wasn't exactly a normal box (it was cut out of carboard so it wasn't completely level).  This could explain how the box got crushed a little bit (its still in pretty good/fine condition). But there wasn't room for it to shuffle around, however. So it is almost inconceivable that the shrink damage could have incurred in transit. Regardless, a $100 item with $12 shipping could probably expect at least normal packaging.

Furthermore, the description says it was never opened (only that it had tears). Well this is simply not true. The thing was clearly opened and modules were taken out of it [in fact, for some reason, an extra referee screen was stuffed in there]. One of the modules, BH4 was even torn out of its shrinkwrap and has been read (it has a LOT of wear.. the thing is in maybe fair condition).

In sum, I simply cannot imagine how the shrink can fall off mid-transit.. the BH4 jump out and take a beating.. go back inside, and then arrive at my door.

At the end of the day, I don't really care about his past feedback.. nor do I particularly care if the oversight was legitimate or not. After all, he may have innocently overlooked the gapping hole in the shrinkwrap and the abuse BH4 has been subjected to over the years. I'm not looking to out the guy as a "shady" dealer. Mistakes happen.

The bottom line is that the item is in no where close to what the description described and as a result has left me greatly disappointed.  The question is now what is the best way to adjust to it.

Well lets see.  If this item was as bad as you are claiming it to be, then what exactly are you questioning? It seems to obvious that if you are telling the truth that the only obvious thing would be to send it back for a refund, so I don't get where the confusion is. That is unless of course your motives here are something other than asking a question.  

Aside from that, that picture included in the auction is fairly large and clear and does not bear out anything that you are saying.  He even goes on to say this in the auction description:

It is still factory sealed but there are tears in the shrinkwrap.  The lower left corner of two models are damaged a little

It is virtually impossible for him to have missed what you described as being the case if he was looking that closely at the item to have been able to list those flaws, so you are essentially saying that he lied in his desciption and yet the picture he is used seems to back up his auction description.   Personally I think that you are FOS....

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:37 pm 

Refunds for condition should ALWAYS include full postage reimbursement.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:42 pm 

It is virtually impossible for him to have missed what you described as being the case if he was looking that closely at the item to have been able to list those flaws, so you are essentially saying that he lied in his desciption and yet the picture he is used seems to back up his auction description.   Personally I think that you are FOS....

Not really. He may have glanced at the item and noticed a couple corners were dinged and made note of them. He may have not given it a full inspection given that the thing may have been in his closet for years and assumed it retained much of its earlier gleam.

I'm not here to question the guy's motives, only to say that it was, at best, a pretty lazy job describing it. I can include pictures if you want..

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:43 pm 

Refunds for condition should ALWAYS include full postage reimbursement.

I hope he can do that for me given the circumstances, but that's not something I would normally expect.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:48 pm 

It seems to obvious that if you are telling the truth that the only obvious thing would be to send it back for a refund, so I don't get where the confusion is.

Actually, as you said so yourself, selling off the items individually could recoup most if not all of the price. If BH4 was in shrink or in decent shape, then I could probably do it easily.. As it is I'd need to get $30 for the box, $35 for range war, and $10 each for the 5 remaining items (2 screens, BH1, BH2, BH3). So, while it would take some work, that seems like a legitimate alternative course of action.

Secondly, I could keep the set even though it wasn't what I expected to receive, given that, with the card, the set (plus my own BH4) could retain some good value.

The purpose of my post was to show what I ended up getting in the auction (at the request of Mike and others) and to see whether anyone here felt strongly about what to do with it all. Frankly, I wasn't so sure when I got the stuff in the first place a couple days ago.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:58 pm 

Sounds like you got screwed, demand a refund and if it does not come leave a neg and start a paypal dispute.

Case closed!!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:15 pm 

Why don't you ask a partial refund for the damaged box and the torn BH4?

These kind of problems are frequent I guess, more frequent than feedback system let us know. Feedbacks are totally biased and are unreliable to know if a seller is a "good" or "bad" one. I had many bad experiences with shaddy seller and never left any negative feedback to them (because if I had leave neg', I got one too).

Ask for a partial refund, and keep your boxed set... I think it is the better thing to do. If you estimates that the BH4 in SW have a market value of $30, ask for a $30 partial refund...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:18 pm 

I paid by cheque given that he doesn't accept paypal. So I hope he'll send the refund when he gets the set back otherwise I'm royally screwed...

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:21 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:I paid by cheque given that he doesn't accept paypal. So I hope he'll send the refund when he gets the set back otherwise I'm royally screwed...

He can give you a refund, even by cheque. It is only a question of honesty, not with Paypal rules or anything else.
If it is a serious seller, he will refund you all your money, including shipping (and the return shipping too) or give you the partial refund you asked for.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:23 pm 

If you estimates that the BH4 in SW have a market value of $30, ask for a $30 partial refund...

I think it would have to be closer to $50 but the partial refund idea its worth contemplating. My bid reflected the assumption that the set was in "nearly perfect condition" with the shrink torn in spots but intact.

I haven't heard back from him yet on the issue...he's only responded to my initial email to tell me he'll mail out the yellow card once he gets it at his friends house, if you can believe that! I've since told him that I'd feel better just returning the thing and be done with it. Maybe he'll come back with a compromise as you suggest. I might take him up on that.

Next