to true

Trader, Collector and avid Gamer

Trying to put the "R" back into RPG

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:24 pm 

" An item is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay "
&
"A fair price is what YOU are happy paying !!"

I think that's all I've ever suggested.. but that view is in an extreme minority here, if I had to guess. The most likely reason for this chasm is that this philosophy is perceived to be at odds with what the valuation board does.. but this is really not the case at all. The two are not mutually inconsistent.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:08 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:i agree with BC.

Delz...i think your estimations are a little on the high side, but hey, if you can sell one for that much, then cool man! :)

i have one on my website for £65 and thats been there a lil while...but the silly ppl who hunt for them on ebay, dont tend to look elsewhere, which always makes me smile :)

Al

I've pointed a couple of people to your site listing - I'm seriously surprised it's not gone yet.

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:56 pm 

bombadil wrote:Maybe I was assuming 1000 existing shrinked copies (about 20%?) still in existence, then estimated the rate of decay based on uptake by collectors and/or people opening the shrink to sell off L3s and the like.

Could you have been referring to the 1000 copies that contained the signed lithograph?

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
--H.L. Mencken

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:18 pm 

bclarkie wrote:The fact is that people pony up a lot extra when the condition of a particular item is premium, regardless of the rarity or "desirablity"

For common items I'm content to buy cheap but worn items.  I figure I can always buy a second copy later if I decide I want one that's perfect and still shrinkwrapped.  Having a "reading" copy makes the duplication well worth the extra cost.

For rare items condition becomes a lot more important.  I would much rather  spend $4000+ for a perfect copy that I know I'll be happy with than $1000- for a ratty copy that I'll be looking to replace right from the start.

Unlike a certain feline fanatic who's gone missing again, I will probably only ever buy one woodgrain box set.  I want to make sure its one I'll be happy with.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
--H.L. Mencken

Previous