AD&D Silver Anniversary Edition
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:27 am 

maybe it's not the first time this question has been raised, but what should be the current value of a SA boxed set?
...if SWed, then i should add the usual increase?
tnx and ciao!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:42 pm 

It has been going for around $100, last time I checked. L3 sometimes gets most of that all by itself.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:46 pm 

i've seen em sell from anything from $50 to $150 - generally around $100 on average for a really nice set.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:34 pm 

** expired/removed eBay auction **

One here from a UK seller - looks like he might be a bit of a flake though! (J/K Al :lol: )

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:31 am 

I saw 2 SA sets for sale last weekend (UK) from www.mmmgames.co.uk's stall at a convention (Conception)

One shrinkwrapped, one not.

Prices were "make me an offer"; someone bought both.

I picked up mono D1-3, a shrunk box of Dragon Mountain, LOTR Risk, and a JG wilderlands I'd been after for ages, all cheap.

They sell stuff on behalf of other people.
They've got LOADS of FR stuff available.

Send 'em a list of what you want, and they might be able to help.

BJS

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:50 pm 

A food-for thought question related to this thread:

How much would an unopened Silver Anniversary box set's worth be increased/decreased . .  if it also came with one each of all of the Silver Anniversary modules (i.e. Ravenloft, Return to the Keep on the Borderlands, etc.--not the ones actually inside the box set) in great condition?  (By "great condition" I mean virtually unread, no damage, etc.)

No, I do not have that listed above (I WISH!! :D ) but the thread got me thinking... :idea:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:18 pm 

sleepyCO wrote:A food-for thought question related to this thread:

How much would an unopened Silver Anniversary box set's worth be increased/decreased . .  if it also came with one each of all of the Silver Anniversary modules (i.e. Ravenloft, Return to the Keep on the Borderlands, etc.--not the ones actually inside the box set) in great condition?  (By "great condition" I mean virtually unread, no damage, etc.)

No, I do not have that listed above (I WISH!! :D ) but the thread got me thinking... :idea:

Should increase the value....as each of the "Return" modules can bring $20 each in mint shape.  Nice marketing idea!  Wish I had a set of these and a SA set so I could find out.....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:28 pm 

I do have an empty SA box is someone wants it... :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:18 pm 

every time i see another ebay auction for that box set i'm glad i never took mine out of the shrink :D

-dave

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:03 am 

Badmike wrote:
Should increase the value....as each of the "Return" modules can bring $20 each in mint shape.  Nice marketing idea!  Wish I had a set of these and a SA set so I could find out.....

Mike B.

How many silver-anniversary-edition modules were made?   I have  Ravenloft, Return to the Keep on the Borderlands, Return to White Plume Mountain, and Against the Giants.  I think there is also a Return to the Tomb of Horrors, which I do not have (but want!!); were there others?

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:10 am 

sleepyCO wrote:

How many silver-anniversary-edition modules were made?   I have  Ravenloft, Return to the Keep on the Borderlands, Return to White Plume Mountain, and Against the Giants.  I think there is also a Return to the Tomb of Horrors, which I do not have (but want!!); were there others?

there is a module for dragonlance setting (dont remember the title)... and nothing more i believe...

but coming back to the first question i posted: here's the second one! i have just bought a shrinkwrapped s.a. box (for a decent price!): now the point is... is it worth to open it and "taste" the booklets inside or is it definitely better to leave it onpened!

then there is a third question: i currently have 3 G modules (s.a. print) and there is an acaeum member who would like to buy only one... assuming that i have no problems in selling that module for a certain price, then what should i do with the remaining 2 ones? i was thinking to list them on ebay... what should be their fiar price?

tnx everybody and ciaooo

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:02 am 

sleepyCO wrote:

There was a collected Dragonlance edition, one giant booklet with maps.

From what I remember, you had to fill out a send-in sheet where you checked the items you wanted to be reprinted for the silver anniversary.  TSR were going to choose the top five, which were I6, S2, G1-3 and B2.  IIRC, the Dragonlance series got reprinted because so many people wanted different DL modules (who on earth would have these as their favorites??????) they decided to reprint them all and update them.

Mike B.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:15 am 

aia wrote:maybe it's not the first time this question has been raised, but what should be the current value of a SA boxed set?
...if SWed, then i should add the usual increase?
tnx and ciao!

I sold a mint but non shrink wraped silver anniversary box set on ebay less than a month ago...

It was on for £100.00 or best offer.

I got £80 + P+P to the USA for it.

If it was still shrink wraped it would have been a straight £100.00 no offer!

But I have seen them go for as little as £60 so.... it's worth whatever some will pay ( I know, an old maxim but still very true! )

Delz

Trader, Collector and avid Gamer

Trying to put the "R" back into RPG

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:25 am 

Delzoun-blood wrote:
I sold a mint but non shrink wraped silver anniversary box set on ebay less than a month ago...

It was on for £100.00 or best offer.

I got £80 + P+P to the USA for it.

If it was still shrink wraped it would have been a straight £100.00 no offer!

But I have seen them go for as little as £60 so.... it's worth whatever some will pay ( I know, an old maxim but still very true! )

Delz

Within the last year I have seen SA sets shrinked go for as little $60 and I have seen them as go as high as $150.  I imagine like anything else listed in certain Ebay stores, every once in awhile you stumble onto a new buyer who has no clue to the actual value of the item who will snap something up or someone not willing to wait for an auction to end, however this does not indicate anything other than a lucky sale.  There is no way one of these sets shrinkwrapped or not should be going anywhere near $200.  To be honest these things aren't even that rare nor are they particularly interesting.  IMO, the best part of the SA box sets, is the box itself, as I have found great usage for them for protecting my rare items.  

The only thing that has made go these go as high as they go now is the hype surrounding the mysterious L3, and the module isnt even that great.  Considering that this set was realeased 8 years ago to the tune of a print run of 5000, once people start figuring out that they are really not that rare nor is all that interesting, I owuld anticipate the prices starting to drop on them.  This thing reminds me of the overhyped Deities & Demigods with the Cthulhu & Melnibonean Mythos.  Despite every seller on Ebay who wants to claim that its rare and the Mythos were secretly banned, the book really isn't all that hard to find and the truth of the matter is that TSR removed the Mythos on their own as they did not want to advertise someone elses product in one of their own products.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:32 pm 

i agree with BC.

Delz...i think your estimations are a little on the high side, but hey, if you can sell one for that much, then cool man! :)

i have one on my website for £65 and thats been there a lil while...but the silly ppl who hunt for them on ebay, dont tend to look elsewhere, which always makes me smile :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:31 pm 

The only thing that has made go these go as high as they go now is the hype surrounding the mysterious L3, and the module isnt even that great.  Considering that this set was realeased 8 years ago to the tune of a print run of 5000, once people start figuring out that they are really not that rare nor is all that interesting, I owuld anticipate the prices starting to drop on them.  This thing reminds me of the overhyped Deities & Demigods with the Cthulhu & Melnibonean Mythos.  Despite every seller on Ebay who wants to claim that its rare and the Mythos were secretly banned, the book really isn't all that hard to find and the truth of the matter is that TSR removed the Mythos on their own as they did not want to advertise someone elses product in one of their own products.

Well, many here find the 10th anniversary set to be uninteresting and ugly yet the demand seems to be getting stronger.. not the other way around. I paid $60 for my SA set and that's all I'd ever spend on such a thing.. but I can see it going for double or triple that if you're really into D&D collecting and nostalgia.

Someone's trash is someone else's treasure..

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:42 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:
Well, many here find the 10th anniversary set to be uninteresting and ugly yet the demand seems to be getting stronger.. not the other way around. I paid $60 for my SA set and that's all I'd ever spend on such a thing.. but I can see it going for double or triple that if you're really into D&D collecting and nostalgia.

Someone's trash is someone else's treasure..

Sorry, but I don't find one auction(of a particularly nice set at that) as  being applicable as indicating that demand is getting stronger.  On top of the fact that the 10th Anniversary Set had 1/5th the print run(many of which may have actually been pulped like a ton of other stuff from the mid 1980's) and it was also issued almost 25 years ago.   At the time it sold the 10 Anniversary Collectors Set was not considered a Collectors item at all, as a matter of fact it was sold as and recognized as just a fancy way of TSR getting rid of over-stock.  I can realistically see a majority of those people who did actually purchase sets at the time tossing the box in the trash, because it is in fact a big bulky box made of cheap fake leather, that takes up far more room that it should.   The fact that the box is open ended makes it almost useless for anything else a person could dream up for it.

In the last 3 years I have seen a grand total of 3 10th Anniversary sets sold.  In that same time frame, I have probably seen 300 SA sets sold.  As a matter of fact I think that there are at least 3 SA sets up for auction on Ebay right now.

Comparing the SA set with the 10th Anniversary Collectors set is like comparing apples and automobiles.  They are not even in the same ballpark.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Last edited by bclarkie on Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:47 pm 

Axel,
I did this up a while back, comparing the potential rarity of the Silver Ann to that of Fazzlewood over the long-term, but don't even remember what exactly I was basing this on at the time.  I think the value of the shrink-wrapped Silver Ann will go up quite a bit given enough time:

Let mirth prevail!

Next