Greyhawk Supplement
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:20 am 

Hey All,

I was very surprised :o to see how much this went for, as I thought it would be a $90+ item. I realize that it is a GK logo and in VF/NM condition, but is it really a $150+ item?

** expired eBay auction **

Thanks,

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:12 pm 

Its not the GK logo that sets this one apart.  This copy is actually a first print that which has a slightly different cover font than the rest of the prints and this particular copy is in excellent shape.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:47 pm 

PM-Knight wrote:Hey All,

I was very surprised :o to see how much this went for, as I thought it would be a $90+ item. I realize that it is a GK logo and in VF/NM condition, but is it really a $150+ item?

Thanks,

I have seen them go for much more!!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:01 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:I have seen them go for much more!!

Indeed... :)

Given the date within the woodgrain main sequence, the upgrading from "4" to "5" was fair enough even if they're not quite as rare as the last (?) edition of Stephen's list might indicate: per viewtopic.php?t=3217 ;)

The one that's still underrated, IMO, is the GK (there is no other, afaik) 2nd. Couldn't resist picking up Greg Stafford's copy at opening bid since the rest of his set is well into four figures in all likelihood.

Still worthy of a "4" rating per my reply to Stephen on viewtopic.php?p=57054&highlight=#57054

d.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:39 pm 

faro wrote:The one that's still underrated, IMO, is the GK (there is no other, afaik) 2nd.

Agreed.  And for some reason very hard to find in excellent condition, like, for example, the T1st David picked up last night.  The cover stock is not as nice on the GK 2nd, and tends toward scuffing and spine wear.  

And by the way, that was a great win, David (referring to the 2nd print).  I think I paid $56 or thereabouts for mine.

Get one if you can, guys!   8)

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:01 pm 

Heh, I blame the usual "must have a 1st/T1st syndrome: "automatically" valuing that at x times more than a 2nd even if that 2nd is still a year or two earlier than (and rarer than) 1sts of later volumes.

Guess we can't all be print-run junkies (:P), but "nice copies of type" are still a plus, I'd've thought (e.g. 1 GK, 1 Lizard, 1 Wizard...).

aside: Greg Stafford connection was worth a bite, anyhow, in that case; for old-time's sake.

(*chuckles*. Yeah, but remember even 1st GHs can still pick up spine damage and a little bit of wear- as demonstrated before)

=

aside; I presume you spotted the other supps. that seller had up actually pulling in $50 bids whilst the 1st GH was still sub $100?

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:39 pm 

faro wrote:
(*chuckles*. Yeah, but remember even 1st GHs can still pick up spine damage and a little bit of wear- as demonstrated before)

Oh yeah, but that was a special case, was it not?  

faro wrote:
aside; I presume you spotted the other supps. that seller had up actually pulling in $50 bids whilst the 1st GH was still sub $100?

Indeed I did, but the funny thing was, I could have sworn the opening bids on all of those were(was?) $24.99 before those $50 bids showed up.   :?

Anyway, they (the seller and their buddies) are obviously doing pretty well by now.   :D

Let mirth prevail!