This can't be right
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:14 pm 

I guess it's easy for me to criticize as I've already got my run of Conans  :D   And Red Sonja . . . regrettably I sold my Kull's, but they can be had for cheap.

Incidentally, I will always remember getting Conan #1.  My dad took me to a comic covention  and we searched out a dealer who had a nice, high grade copy.  It was $90 and was my 12th birthday present.  Probably the best gift I've ever gotten.  :)

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:22 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:It was $90 and was my 12th birthday present.  Probably the best gift I've ever gotten.  :)

Score! That is a nice gift! :)

A buddy of mine has a run of #1 through #100 in the Marvel Conans. He did most of it on his own, but — speaking of nice gifts — his wife printed out his list, found a good comics dealer, and bought the missing issues for him as a birthday present. I think that included a nice #4, the infamous "low distribution" issue that often sells for more than #1.

So, as far as wives go, that one's a keeper. :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:10 pm 

I actually got my Conan #1 from ebay.  I hadn't bought a comic book in years and ebay was still very new. I am thinking it was my first actual purchase. I bought a collection of about 50 issues for around $75. Included were issues 1-60 with a few missing in the late 50s - which I already had. But I needed 1-10 so I figured it was worth buying the whole lot. I think #1 was generally selling for around $60 back then.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:39 am 

Beyondthebreach wrote:I guess it's easy for me to criticize as I've already got my run of Conans  :D   And Red Sonja . . . regrettably I sold my Kull's, but they can be had for cheap.

Incidentally, I will always remember getting Conan #1.  My dad took me to a comic covention  and we searched out a dealer who had a nice, high grade copy.  It was $90 and was my 12th birthday present.  Probably the best gift I've ever gotten.  :)

BTB, that's uncanny.  I got not one but TWO Conan #1's in the late 70's at the local comic shop.  It was the one and only time my father ever set foot in there.  I don't know what year but it was probably a birthday present for my 17th BD or so (It would have been 1980? and that would be about right because I know I drove there myself and met him there).  I think my dad was flush with cash at the time....he asked the guy what a good investment type comic was, the asshat working the shop told him Conan #1 (I think he just pulled this out of his ass, because he had two of them behind the counter), so Dad bought me both.  Plus he knew I loved Conan, I think I was only missing the first few issues at the time to have a complete set. I think he caught a deal something like $100 total for both.   Still have one of them!!! (sold the other at a convention many years ago)

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Previous