This can't be right
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:16 pm 

Badmike wrote:With the plethora of trade paperbacks and Marvel Masterworks and DC hardcover collections now available, my wife has pretty much convinced me to sell the bulk of my collection and just go out and buy the collected editions. Lots easier to read and store.  And pretty much everything is now collected...I saw the other day that the wacky cult title weirdness of all time, Marvel's series "Omega the Unknown", has come out ina collected TPB.  The Marvel Masterworks series are beautifully presented, also, with all the key runs of Silver age titles (Fantastic Four, Spiderman, Avengers, etc) collected and re-colored on nice paper.  

Mike B.

do you know if they have done a Conan one? its about the only series I would like to collect...

Brette:)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:21 pm 

beasterbrook wrote:
do you know if they have done a Conan one? its about the only series I would like to collect...

Yes it has!!  Also check out the new series by Dark Horse comics.  It is really good.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:27 pm 

beasterbrook wrote:

Brette;

Do you mean the present series or the classic Marvel?

As a matter of fact, I have the classic Conan comic series in the collected trades, and they are beautiful!!!!  They are put out by Dark Horse in softcover format, and cover the first few years...all that gorgeous Barry Smith, Gil Kane and John Buscema artwork.  I have up to Volume #7, which covers the Marvel Conan saga up to #51.  Each contains very insightful behind the scenes commentary by Roy Thomas. Probably the only flaw I could tell, was that due to the contractual agreement with Marvel comics to have Dark Horse print these, there are no covers available to be reprinted. Still, all those great stories and particularly the first couple years where Barry Windsor's Smith's artwork just blew me away when I was as small fry....!
 As for the newer series, I'm sure they have also all been collected by Dark Horse if you are interested...

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:51 pm 

Badmike wrote:I have up to Volume #7, which covers the Marvel Conan saga up to #51.

Vol. 11 was released last Wednesday; the series now covers the Marvel-era Conan up to issue 90.

Badmike wrote:  As for the newer series, I'm sure they have also all been collected by Dark Horse if you are interested.

Yes. Three volumes are out now, and Dark Horse is very regular about getting new books out quickly. There's also some collected mini-series such as Conan: Book of Thoth.

Dark Horse, BTW, has a very nice, professional website at this address.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:56 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Brette;

Do you mean the present series or the classic Marvel?

As a matter of fact, I have the classic Conan comic series in the collected trades, and they are beautiful!!!!  They are put out by Dark Horse in softcover format, and cover the first few years...all that gorgeous Barry Smith, Gil Kane and John Buscema artwork.  I have up to Volume #7, which covers the Marvel Conan saga up to #51.  Each contains very insightful behind the scenes commentary by Roy Thomas. Probably the only flaw I could tell, was that due to the contractual agreement with Marvel comics to have Dark Horse print these, there are no covers available to be reprinted. Still, all those great stories and particularly the first couple years where Barry Windsor's Smith's artwork just blew me away when I was as small fry....!
 As for the newer series, I'm sure they have also all been collected by Dark Horse if you are interested...

Mike B.

Oh Goody! The Classic series is the one that I really want, there are no comic book shops up here I'd have to order em I suppose.. recomend a site? Would Noble Knight to something like that? I did go down to melbourne and did see some of the collected series but I was pulled out so fast that I didn't get a good chance to look at what was available...
Yes its a pitty about the covers, that would of been a nice added bonus for sure...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:25 pm 

Hmmm  :?   I guess I am the only one then who will have nothing to do with a reprinted comic in any way, shape or form?

Don't listen to them Brett!  :)   What does a "colleced reprint edition" of Conan cost anyway?  $24.95?  $29.95?  more?

You could search out large, low-grade lots of Conan on ebay and probably pay less for the entire run than it would to pay for these.  Granted, your first 24 issues will costs a bit more, but if condition isn't a factor (which it is obviously isn't as nothing could be "lower grade" than a reprint!) then even Conan #1 won't be too outrageous.  8)

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:14 am 

Beyondthebreach wrote:Hmmm  :?   I guess I am the only one then who will have nothing to do with a reprinted comic in any way, shape or form?

Don't listen to them Brett!  :)   What does a "colleced reprint edition" of Conan cost anyway?  $24.95?  $29.95?  more?

You could search out large, low-grade lots of Conan on ebay and probably pay less for the entire run than it would to pay for these.  Granted, your first 24 issues will costs a bit more, but if condition isn't a factor (which it is obviously isn't as nothing could be "lower grade" than a reprint!) then even Conan #1 won't be too outrageous.  8)

Right you are BYB!

There is nothing like the original.

Anyway, here is another one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Amazing-Spiderman-c ... dZViewItem

That CGC thing really makes a difference. The books that are not rated seem to be selling for 1/3 or less of the CGC books...

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:04 am 

bbarsh wrote:

Right you are BYB!

There is nothing like the original.

Anyway, here is another one:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

That CGC thing really makes a difference. The books that are not rated seem to be selling for 1/3 or less of the CGC books...

What is even more amazing about graded comics is just how much difference there is in cost between a grade of 9.6 and 9.8.  The current value of Amazing Spider-Man #300 with a grade of 9.6 is $350.  Bump that up to a 9.8 and you are looking at $1300.  And the differences between the two are almost indiscernable.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:58 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Golden Age comics are always worth something, no matter the condition.   And if my brothers had ever destroyed any of my comics, they would be long dead..... :twisted:

Mike B.

I still have most of them, just missing the covers, and a few pages where they cut out pictures...

Oh, and they did pay. :x

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:27 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:
Yes it has!!  Also check out the new series by Dark Horse comics.  It is really good.

As much as I like the Dark Horse series (I have every single issue), I still miss The Savage Sword of Conan magazine that Marvel put out during the 70's and 80's.  The black and white artwork was stunning.  Especially the run by Gary Kwapisz.  IMHO his artwork far exceeded the stuff done by Barry Windsor-Smith, John Buscema, and the other guys that I cant remember right now.  :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:02 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
As much as I like the Dark Horse series (I have every single issue), I still miss The Savage Sword of Conan magazine that Marvel put out during the 70's and 80's.  The black and white artwork was stunning.  Especially the run by Gary Kwapisz.  IMHO his artwork far exceeded the stuff done by Barry Windsor-Smith, John Buscema, and the other guys that I cant remember right now.  :)

Yes Savage Sword was classic.  Conan at his best IMHO :D

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:08 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:Hmmm  :?   I guess I am the only one then who will have nothing to do with a reprinted comic in any way, shape or form?

But the problem is,with modern printing techniques, the reprints (at least in the case of the Conan comics) look MUCH NICER than the originals. Has a lot to do with being printed on high quality glossy paper over the one step up from newsprint crap they used in the 70s.  The color reprint of Barry's Smith's "Red Nails" blew me away....
PPlus there is the advantage of having the entire run in one spot on your bookshelf instead of in a unwieldy longbox under the bed.....

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:21 pm 

Badmike wrote:
But the problem is,with modern printing techniques, the reprints (at least in the case of the Conan comics) look MUCH NICER than the originals. Has a lot to do with being printed on high quality glossy paper over the one step up from newsprint crap they used in the 70s.  The color reprint of Barry's Smith's "Red Nails" blew me away....
PPlus there is the advantage of having the entire run in one spot on your bookshelf instead of in a unwieldy longbox under the bed.....

Mike B.

Nice try Mike  :D  ,but it's kinda like convincing the Acaeum diehards that 3E is actually good . . . I'm just not buying it.  :wink:

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:22 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:
Nice try Mike  :D  ,but it's kinda like convincing the Acaeum diehards that 3E is actually good . . . I'm just not buying it.  :wink:

LOL In my old age I find myself accepting a lot of things I never would...reprinted collected editions is one of them....!  Although I don't ever see myself warming up to 3e, no thank you (although I think it works great as a video/computer game, aka NWN...)

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:40 pm 

I've gone both routes with collecting comics — actual issues versus trade-paperback collections — and both have some merits.

With the trades, the savings in both time and money is substantial. Using our Conan discussion as an example, I have collected the first 90 issues of the Marvel-era Conan with almost no effort at all (I typically get them from Amazon) and I've never come close to paying the price that's printed on the cover (Amazon again). And, as mentioned above, modern printing is just light years ahead of 1978 printing, so I'm actually getting a higher-quality product.

Now, I've also collected individual issues of Conan for many years. I have nowhere near a complete run of the first 90 issues, I have no hope of ever owning any of the first five issues (not without a subsequent divorce, that is), I've gotten burned by sellers who have graded their issues too high, I've had to buy issues here and there on eBay (often losing out to a last-minute snipe), wait however long for media mail shipping, and on and on. On the positive side, it's nice to own the actual issues, complete with 1978-style ads for Sea Monkeys.

So which way is better? There's no answer. I'm not claiming this is a winnable argument; I just thought I'd add a voice in support of trade paperback collections. For some people, they will never be good enough; only the actual issues will do. For those of us with limited time, money, and resources, though, they are a very attractive alternative to being thrown into debtor's prison.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:04 pm 

My problem is that if I start with the origionals (I do have quite a few issues, but I haven't been serious about it for years and years..hmm I'll have to pull them out and see what issues I have actually) I would have to GET THEM ALL! I just could help it, I'd want the whole print run! That and the fact that it would cost me a min of $10us to ship 1 comic to Aussie land make it unjustifiable, I'd just have to buy someones collection... or I can just get the reprints and not worry about it... hmm all this talk want me to pull em out and read some of them again now... I would say that I'm a comic collector, I just would like to read em

Xaxaxe wrote:I've gone both routes with collecting comics — actual issues versus trade-paperback collections — and both have some merits.

With the trades, the savings in both time and money is substantial. Using our Conan discussion as an example, I have collected the first 90 issues of the Marvel-era Conan with almost no effort at all (I typically get them from Amazon) and I've never come close to paying the price that's printed on the cover (Amazon again). And, as mentioned above, modern printing is just light years ahead of 1978 printing, so I'm actually getting a higher-quality product.

Now, I've also collected individual issues of Conan for many years. I have nowhere near a complete run of the first 90 issues, I have no hope of ever owning any of the first five issues (not without a subsequent divorce, that is), I've gotten burned by sellers who have graded their issues too high, I've had to buy issues here and there on eBay (often losing out to a last-minute snipe), wait however long for media mail shipping, and on and on. On the positive side, it's nice to own the actual issues, complete with 1978-style ads for Sea Monkeys.

So which way is better? There's no answer. I'm not claiming this is a winnable argument; I just thought I'd add a voice in support of trade paperback collections. For some people, they will never be good enough; only the actual issues will do. For those of us with limited time, money, and resources, though, they are a very attractive alternative to being thrown into debtor's prison.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:14 pm 

I guess it's easy for me to criticize as I've already got my run of Conans  :D   And Red Sonja . . . regrettably I sold my Kull's, but they can be had for cheap.

Incidentally, I will always remember getting Conan #1.  My dad took me to a comic covention  and we searched out a dealer who had a nice, high grade copy.  It was $90 and was my 12th birthday present.  Probably the best gift I've ever gotten.  :)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:22 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:It was $90 and was my 12th birthday present.  Probably the best gift I've ever gotten.  :)

Score! That is a nice gift! :)

A buddy of mine has a run of #1 through #100 in the Marvel Conans. He did most of it on his own, but — speaking of nice gifts — his wife printed out his list, found a good comics dealer, and bought the missing issues for him as a birthday present. I think that included a nice #4, the infamous "low distribution" issue that often sells for more than #1.

So, as far as wives go, that one's a keeper. :)

PreviousNext