This can't be right
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:22 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1

Every once in a great while...maybe six months or so...I do a quick search just to check how little my comic book collection is worth.

But this is insanity...

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:25 pm 

For the uninitiated, how much did they used to go for?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:35 pm 

I am not really sure, but not much. Comics are generally worth very little - from some point in the 70s and up.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:35 pm 

bbarsh wrote:
** expired/removed eBay auction **

Every once in a great while...maybe six months or so...I do a quick search just to check how little my comic book collection is worth.

But this is insanity...

I just sold a ASM  #300 by itself for $65......

So yeh that's a little above the going rate, but not by much.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:40 pm 

I've looked a couple of times in the past and ASM #300 really does hold some value.  I typically think that most of the 2000+ comics I bought in the 80s and 90s are pretty worthless too but that one just amazes me.  Any idea why it still goes for so much?

Other McFarlane stuff like Spawn #1 you just can't even give away.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:45 pm 

The movies probably don't hurt.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:49 pm 

Sweet!

*pulls out two copies*  :D

I haven't followed the comic book market since the early 90's. I'm sitting on about 12 of those 3' boxes full of an array of titles. I bought and traded these books like a stockbroker back then. The glut of the mid-nineties turned me from the collecting scene.

Funny enough though, to make this rant suitable for posting here on the Acaeum, it was stopping collecting comics that in turn brought me to collecting RPG's. So much more fun, and a great complement to being a avid gamer. Not to put comic collecting down in any way if it's your thing. :D

I never parted with the lot, and hence it sits collecting dust. I do on occasion pull out a run or two; especially the older Spidey stories. Their always a fun read, and after seeing this I'm going to have to get a comic book price guide. That's insane... 8O

Anyone else here have collecting roots in comics?

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:52 pm 

Mars wrote:I've looked a couple of times in the past and ASM #300 really does hold some value.  I typically think that most of the 2000+ comics I bought in the 80s and 90s are pretty worthless too but that one just amazes me.  Any idea why it still goes for so much?

Other McFarlane stuff like Spawn #1 you just can't even give away.

Pretty much sums me up, too. Although i collected more from late 70s to late 80s.

Pretty much anything purchased during that period is worth nothing. I did, however, chase Amazing and a few other titles [complete runs of Defenders, Conan, and a few more]. But I do have Amazing SM from about issue 70 through when I stopped colllecting (early 300s somewhere).

Never bought a single D&D based comic.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:12 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:Sweet!

*pulls out two copies*  :D

I haven't followed the comic book market since the early 90's. I'm sitting on about 12 of those 3' boxes full of an array of titles. I bought and traded these books like a stockbroker back then. The glut of the mid-nineties turned me from the collecting scene.

Funny enough though, to make this rant suitable for posting here on the Acaeum, it was stopping collecting comics that in turn brought me to collecting RPG's. So much more fun, and a great complement to being a avid gamer. Not to put comic collecting down in any way if it's your thing. :D

I never parted with the lot, and hence it sits collecting dust. I do on occasion pull out a run or two; especially the older Spidey stories. Their always a fun read, and after seeing this I'm going to have to get a comic book price guide. That's insane... 8O

Oh yeh. Been collecting since the late 70s, way before I ever started collecting D&D stuff (as opposed to just buying everything when it was out).  I only started seriously collecting RPGs in the early 90's; I had already been working a few comic book conventions by then, and would until the market crashed in the mid 90s.  
  I have around 60 longboxes in my warehouse...about 20k or so in storage.  Complete runs of a lot of titles, and almost complete runs of some things like Avengers, ASM (only missing about 20 or so of this title, believe it or not, I have some single number issues in there). I have another 15 or so longboxes here at the house waiting for me to go through and alphabetize.  The upshot is I need to sell almost all of these..they are taking up way too much space, since I stopped working conventions they are just piling up dust.  It's funny the titles that are worth much less now (stuff like XMen), and the stuff that is worth much more (ASM).  The print runs of comics in the 90s were ridiculous....sometimes in the millions.  Compared today, a successful title might have a few hundred thousand, most far less.  
   It hurts to think what kind of a RPG collection I might have if I had stopped buying comics completely about 15 years ago...I still buy a lot of titles regularly...
  It is nice to see the hobby coming back. Comic book conventions are once again connecting to their core audience. I'm hoping to again start working a few sometime this year so I can start clearing stuff out, and use the money for RPG buying...

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:08 pm 

Comics is where I started collecting too.  I collected a bunch of titles in the late 80s and early 90s like ASM, Fantastic Four, Spawn, X-Files, etc.  I did buy a lot of the D&D type comics like AD&D, Forgotten Realms and Spelljammer by DC but my favourite was one called The Realm by Arrow Comics, then WeeBee (I think), then Caliber Press.  I gave up collecting them for a long time, until I found the new D&D comics.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:43 pm 

My brothers and I have a trunk full of ridiculous ones. Whole runs of Avengers, X-men, Silver Surfer, too much to list. I should still have AF 15 (first Spidey), Superman 11 and Batman 17 in there too.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:36 pm 

Badmike wrote:
I just sold a ASM  #300 by itself for $65......

So yeh that's a little above the going rate, but not by much.

Mike B.

For what it's worth, the Wizard Price Guide shows ASM #300 holding at $150 with #298 and #299 at $30 and $35 respectively.  I dont use Wizard exclusively but they pretty much dictate what is hot in the collectors market at any given time.  With Venom showing up in Spider-Man 3 you can guarantee that the price on these will continue to go up for the next couple of months.

Whoever has one in NM condition and is thinking of selling, I would recommend that you spend a few extra bucks and get it professionally graded by CGC.

http://www.cgccomics.com/

A 9.8 grade ASM #300 will net you about $500 - $1000 on Ebay.

Any idea why it still goes for so much?

Semi-first appearance of Venom was in 298 and 299.  First full appearance of Venom was issue 300.  Pretty key issues there.  Another good issue to pick up right now is #252 which is the first appearance in ASM of the black costume.  With Peter Parker donning the black costume this summer in the movie and again in the comic it is sure to go up in price.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:09 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:Sweet!

Yep, comics were one of the first things I started collecting.  Unfortunately a lot of my golden age comics were destroyed by my younger brothers...  I still have about 10 boxes or so in storage that I should probably get rid of.

I sold off my baseball & football cards years ago.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:42 pm 

Mars wrote:Comics is where I started collecting too.  I collected a bunch of titles in the late 80s and early 90s like ASM, Fantastic Four, Spawn, X-Files, etc.  I did buy a lot of the D&D type comics like AD&D, Forgotten Realms and Spelljammer by DC but my favourite was one called The Realm by Arrow Comics, then WeeBee (I think), then Caliber Press.  I gave up collecting them for a long time, until I found the new D&D comics.

The Realm was really pretty good....I haven't read it in many years, I'll have to look for it next time I go to the warehouse.  A nice twist on the "average college kids play D&D and find themselves with powers in a fantasy world" genre.  If I remember, one of the main characters becomes an evil, powerful wizardess that ends up being the main enemy of the rest of the group!

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:44 pm 

dbartman wrote:
Yep, comics were one of the first things I started collecting.  Unfortunately a lot of my golden age comics were destroyed by my younger brothers...  I still have about 10 boxes or so in storage that I should probably get rid of.

I sold off my baseball & football cards years ago.

Golden Age comics are always worth something, no matter the condition.   And if my brothers had ever destroyed any of my comics, they would be long dead..... :twisted:

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:15 am 

Badmike wrote:
The Realm was really pretty good....I haven't read it in many years, I'll have to look for it next time I go to the warehouse.  A nice twist on the "average college kids play D&D and find themselves with powers in a fantasy world" genre.  If I remember, one of the main characters becomes an evil, powerful wizardess that ends up being the main enemy of the rest of the group!

Mike B.

Yes Sandra joins the dark side.  Caliber Press tried to revive the series a couple of times.  I think in total there are about 40 comics dealing with the world of The Realm.  The plot reminded me a lot of the D&D cartoon - a bunch of teenages transported to another world trying to find their way home.  While their they each become D&D type characters - they even pick up a dwarf and hafling :)  I think I am going to have to dig these out again too.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:01 am 

invincibleoverlord wrote:Anyone else here have collecting roots in comics?

Yar. I can bore you to tears with as much late 70s-early 80s Marvel trivia as you can bear to stand ... :) My comics awareness predates my D&D awareness by about a year or maybe 18 months.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:16 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:

. . . ahem . . . yes, comics are actually the main item I have collected, though it has tailed off to nothing in the last 5 years.  Only Marvels for me and primarily Silver/Bronze age high grade items . . .

Of course, I have most moderns up until the mid 90's when took a long break before getting back into collecting . . . and then back out again.

Spiderman #298 is McFarlane's first work on ASM.  Issue #300 is the first full appearance of Venom.  ASM #252 is the First appearance (real world timeline) of the Alien Symbiote costume which would eventually turn join with Eddie Brock to become Spiderman.  Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars #8 is the 1st appearance of the Alien Costume (Marvel timeline - due to it being a 12 issue series, ASM #252 was released first).

Anyway, you can expect the above issues and more to have a temporary surge in value (beyond their already relatively high modern comic values) with the upcoming movie.

Same thing happened with Bullseye's first appearance in Dardevil #131.  Bullseye had always been one of my top 5 favorite villains, so I had several high grade copies of this issue.  The price hit a premium on ebay in the months before the movie's release (as did Daredevil #168 first appearance of Elektra and Daredevil #181 - Bullseye kills Elektra).

As a rule, comics generally sell on ebay for 50% of price guide (sometimes less and rarely more).  CGC items being the exception.  Only "hot" items that become a temporary "must have" due to some sort of hype, perceived rarity, etc. ever go as high as price guide or more.  In all cases, you are better off waiting for things to calm down as the price will reset itself once the fury fades away.

xaxaxe wrote:Yar. I can bore you to tears with as much late 70s-early 80s Marvel trivia as you can bear to stand ... Smile My comics awareness predates my D&D awareness by about a year or maybe 18 months.

Have at it!  I would like to challenge Xaxaxe's claim!  I, in fact, believe that I may be able to bore others to tears even faster!  

Trivia!  What short lived Marvel series from the 70's features a modern man transported back to a mythical "pre-historic" era?

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Next