11 Monochrome Modules
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:52 pm 

I would like to hear from those of you who have had plenty of experience buying & selling these items. When I saw this lot, my jaw dropped :o to the floor. Look at the photo of these items FIRST (do NOT read the description) and take a careful look at their exterior conditions 8O

After you have visually soaked them in, NOW read the description :?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1

I had no idea how to value something like these, but I thought they would be great items to have, as the covers (except B1) appeared pristine and the modules should be well preserved, even though they were modified to fit someone's sense of preservation.

Thanks in Advance,

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:57 pm 

I guess displayed on the shelf they'd look great - but appearances can be deceptive!
As for value - could be anything - but I would say that a few people would be looking to 'frankenstein' their current copies, those covers do look in good nick.

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:57 pm 

PM-Knight wrote:I would like to hear from those of you who have had plenty of experience buying & selling these items. When I saw this lot, my jaw dropped :o to the floor. Look at the photo of these items FIRST (do NOT read the description) and take a careful look at their exterior conditions 8O

After you have visually soaked them in, NOW read the description :?

** expired/removed eBay auction **

I had no idea how to value something like these, but I thought they would be great items to have, as the covers (except B1) appeared pristine and the modules should be well preserved, even though they were modified to fit someone's sense of preservation.

Thanks in Advance,

I saw this auction myself and I was interested in it until I read the description.  The covers do appear to be nice, but with the interiors effectively destroyed, truthfully I would think that they would not have much value to a collector.  Perhaps for someone who is plannig on using them for their own game, but outside of that not much.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:08 am 

bclarkie wrote:
I saw this auction myself and I was interested in it until I read the description.  The covers do appear to be nice, but with the interiors effectively destroyed, truthfully I would think that they would not have much value to a collector.  Perhaps for someone who is plannig on using them for their own game, but outside of that not much.

Exactly, I thought that they would be great for game copy, as far as the interiors go, and you would have very nice covers that you could seal in protective bags to keep for nostaglia. I guess value would be predicated on budget, but what would you guys have thrown at this . . . just out of curiousity :roll: or for arguments sake, not that I'm trying to start any arguments :wink:

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:11 am 

PM-Knight wrote:
Exactly, I thought that they would be great for game copy, as far as the interiors go, and you would have very nice covers that you could seal in protective bags to keep for nostaglia. I guess value would be predicated on budget, but what would you guys have thrown at this . . . just out of curiousity :roll: or for arguments sake, not that I'm trying to start any arguments :wink:

Well for me its a little different because I already have them all so my bid would thusly be affected by that factor. If assuming that, say I needed more than half of them for completeness sake, I'd say maybe around what the went for, $60 or $65.  I can't see myself going much higher than that. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:15 am 

bclarkie wrote:
If assuming that, say I needed more than half of them for completeness sake, I'd say maybe around what the went for, $60 or $65.  I can't see myself going much higher than that. :)

What if you had none or just one or two of them, would you have gone to $90 or $100?  Just curious as to whether I made a fair bid & lost or just really underestimated their value.

Thanks,

[email protected]

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:23 am 

PM-Knight wrote:
What if you had none or just one or two of them, would you have gone to $90 or $100?  Just curious as to whether I made a fair bid & lost or just really underestimated their value.

Thanks,

No I wouldn't my bid would not be affected by me needing more of themalthough others may of a different opinion than me. :)   When I analyse an auction for a lot like that especially when I look at it from a perspective of it having a bunch of stuff that I want, I use halfway as my cut off point. I base my max bid on if the there is at least half of the stuff in the lot that I need, then I will bid as much as I am ever going to bid with the intent of selling the rest off.  Ass that figure gets further and further away from the halfway point of stuff that I need versus stuff that I don't need then my bid would be decreased exponetially from that point on.  As noted though, that is just how I handle things, I am sure that others out there have vastly differing systems than that.  :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:15 am 

I need to start reading auction descriptions.  I was basing my bid purely on location.  :oops:

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:39 pm 

Thanks,

If I didn't own any of them, I would probably offer about $15-20. Then again, I'm not playing currently so it would only be for nostalgia's sake. $100 is a lot to fork over for playing purposes. Perhaps I'm mistaken but a lot of 1e modules can be downloaded in pdf.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:42 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:
If I didn't own any of them, I would probably offer about $15-20. Then again, I'm not playing currently so it would only be for nostalgia's sake. $100 is a lot to fork over for playing purposes. Perhaps I'm mistaken but a lot of 1e modules can be downloaded in pdf.

$20 each for a bunch of cut up modules with nice covers? Wow.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:35 pm 

gyg wrote:I guess displayed on the shelf they'd look great - but appearances can be deceptive!
As for value - could be anything - but I would say that a few people would be looking to 'frankenstein' their current copies, those covers do look in good nick.

*nods*. Even without being Lizard Gs can see justification in ~$60 if 10 out of 11 covers are in good enough nick for swapping like that (reseller /or/ collector).

Shelf? Bag 'em and pin 'em up on the wall, I say! :)

d.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:32 pm 

faro wrote:
Shelf? Bag 'em and pin 'em up on the wall, I say! :)

David,

I doubt your wall has any room for D&D stuff given all the big cat pictures ...  :wink:

P.S. Where have you been hiding?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:33 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
$20 each for a bunch of cut up modules with nice covers? Wow.

Some people just never learn  :roll:

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:05 pm 

(OT)

improvstone wrote:
David,

I doubt your wall has any room for D&D stuff given all the big cat pictures ...  :wink:

P.S. Where have you been hiding?

*rofl*

Yeah, OK, valid point, Mike; when the big cat pics are more than seven boxes wide, it's easy to run out of wall space quite quickly.

e.g. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/ ... erfire.jpg

Hiding? Nah; mostly complications and other stuff IRL: more than enough to keep me totally tied up and/or "away from base". Good to see things are still rolling on here with y'all (regardless of minor bloodshed).

Last edited by faro on Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:12 pm 

Alright, that is just wrong. Didn't the UN just pass a resolution a few years ago saying that no one person or family is legally allowed to own more than 3 Woodgrains sets at any one time. :mrgreen:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:15 pm 

faro wrote:Hiding? Nah; mostly complications and other stuff IRL: more than enough to keep me totally tied up and/or "away from base". Good to see things are still rolling on here with y'all (regardless of minor bloodshed).

I hope the hell your place is insured and you have a great fire detection / sprinkler system.  I am sure a fire at your place would take out half the woodgrain population  :lol:

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:15 pm 

bclarkie wrote:...no one person or family is legally allowed to own more than 3 Woodgrains sets at any one time...

Methinks you might've chosen that number deliberately, Brian. :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:16 pm 

faro wrote:Methinks you might've chosen that number deliberately, Brian. :)

Sure did, one of each printing. :wink:

Next