I guess I found my answer.. sorta
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 21, 2
Author


Prolific Collector

Posts: 760
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Last Visit: Apr 18, 2021
Location: Dallas, TX

Post Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:24 am 
 

A year or three ago I wrote:



For instance, 10th anniversary sets were released for GW. Does anyone have a guess at a value for a shrinked set?




I know D&D has their own (and much nicer) 10th anniversary set that goes for beaucoups dollars, but the estimated value for other rpgs is hard to gauge: there's no site that I know of that keeps a list of auction prices, and these sets have to be at least as unusual.



While I suspect Gamma World was more popular than Boot Hill back in the day -- or at least more collectible given the generally higher prices for the material -- I found at least one other person was willing to pay in effect $115 for the BH 10th anniversary set:



http://cm.ebay.com/cm/ck/1065-29392-235 ... 0081220794



Not so much for the Gangbuster set (shocking):




** expired eBay auction **




Without rehashing the debate on what defines "worth", I thought it interesting enough to post given that these sets don't turn up all that often.

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6246
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Apr 21, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:13 am 
 

I need a beer....


This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 6070
Joined: May 03, 2003
Last Visit: Mar 29, 2021
Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:33 am 
 

Were these even verified as being 10th anniversary sets and not something that was independently wrapped together?  It is a bit strange that the seller did not take a picture of the yellow sheet saying so in any of his auctions.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7949
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Apr 15, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:50 am 
 

Mars wrote:Were these even verified as being 10th anniversary sets and not something that was independently wrapped together?  It is a bit strange that the seller did not take a picture of the yellow sheet saying so in any of his auctions.


Yes please let us know, STS, what the set looks like when you get it.  I was put off my the shaky photos and opening bids.

Mike B.


"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

 WWW  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:10 pm 
 

I have got to be honest, I am not sure what the intent of the original post was really for or what it means, but $105 for that whole set is actually a decent deal even if its not a real 10th anniversary pack.  

Boot Hill modules, especially shrinkwrapped ones, individually sell pretty well all by themselves.  I know this because I have been looking to complete my set and I haven't found any to my own price liking just yet. I would think though, that assuming that set is at worst a bundle of originally shrinkwrapped modules and a shrinkwraped Boot Hill Boxed set, 10th Anniversary set or not, that $17.67 an item for 6 unopened items is actually a good deal.

It makes me now reassess what I thought was a high starting price.  I will have to keep this in mind next time I see an auction like this.  I should also reiterate that Tom the seller is a good guy and I would be very surprised if this set was found out to be anything but legitimate.


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 760
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Last Visit: Apr 18, 2021
Location: Dallas, TX

Post Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:23 pm 
 

Yes please let us know, STS, what the set looks like when you get it.  I was put off my the shaky photos and opening bids.


Yeah, my GW set has a yellow sheet on the front. I figured the BH set was just different because TSR might have put less effort into it. Then again.. how could Tom know what modules were in the set if there wasn't a sheet somewhere?

It makes me now reassess what I thought was a high starting price. I will have to keep this in mind next time I see an auction like this.


I figure a shrink BH typically go for about $40 and shrink BH4 and BH5 typically net about $30-35 a piece.

I should also reiterate that Tom the seller is a good guy and I would be very surprised if this set was found out to be anything but legitimate.


That's good to know. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 760
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Last Visit: Apr 18, 2021
Location: Dallas, TX

Post Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:49 pm 
 

Just FYI: Tom didn't particularly care for my $50 offer on the Gangbuster set :)

I think there's no way in hell he's going to get $85 for it.

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Valuation Board

Posts: 1922
Joined: Nov 16, 2002
Last Visit: Apr 21, 2021
Location: Ohio, The land without sun

Post Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:59 pm 
 

I asked Tom if they had the insert and never got a response.  Guess not?

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7949
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Apr 15, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:19 am 
 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:Just FYI: Tom didn't particularly care for my $50 offer on the Gangbuster set :)

I think there's no way in hell he's going to get $85 for it.


$50 for that lot is very fair.

He'll never sell it for the $85 asking price, it's probably the least valuable and interesting of all of TSR's RPGs during the period.

Mike B.


"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 760
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Last Visit: Apr 18, 2021
Location: Dallas, TX

Post Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:09 pm 
 

$50 for that lot is very fair.


No kidding. Gangbuster stuff just doesn't sell. I think a shrinked boxset might go for around $20-25 but that's about it. Modules -- even shrinked ones -- you almost have to give them away.

I think I value shrinked stuff more than anybody. His loss, I suppose.

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3593
Joined: Dec 20, 2003
Last Visit: Apr 18, 2021
Location: Canada

Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:57 pm 
 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:
No kidding. Gangbuster stuff just doesn't sell. I think a shrinked boxset might go for around $20-25 but that's about it. Modules -- even shrinked ones -- you almost have to give them away.

I think I value shrinked stuff more than anybody. His loss, I suppose.


My local games sore still has shrinked modules on the stands for sale.  Must have been a very poor seller!


Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 6070
Joined: May 03, 2003
Last Visit: Mar 29, 2021
Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:15 pm 
 

Blackmoor wrote:
My local games sore still has shrinked modules on the stands for sale.  Must have been a very poor seller!


The Sentry Box is a pretty good store though.  One of these days I will get there in person to take a look around but I think I have had them ship me most of the stuff I want.  BTW, have you ever talked them into seeing what is in Gord? (the owner)'s basement?  I hear that is where the old stuff and overstock ends up.

 WWW  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3593
Joined: Dec 20, 2003
Last Visit: Apr 18, 2021
Location: Canada

Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:47 pm 
 

Mars wrote:
The Sentry Box is a pretty good store though.  One of these days I will get there in person to take a look around but I think I have had them ship me most of the stuff I want.  BTW, have you ever talked them into seeing what is in Gord? (the owner)'s basement?  I hear that is where the old stuff and overstock ends up.


Yes it is one of the best game stores I have ever seen.  I have been in the Miniature Store Room but never the basement.  I here Gord has many cool items stored away.  This store has been in operation since the start of the whole RPG evolution.  It is simply an amazing place.


Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 6070
Joined: May 03, 2003
Last Visit: Mar 29, 2021
Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:30 pm 
 

Way back when, Gord was a "something level buyer" (don't remember what he called it) from TSR so they shipped him one of everything.  I ended up buying about 10 of the other TSR boxed games like Snits Revenge, Cohorts, War of Wizards, FITS, etc from him a few years back, they also had a great selection of nonTSR D&D that I have picked up since.  I have spent over $1500 there over the last 5 years but never seen the inside.  They also do free shipping for orders over $100 and no sales tax.

 WWW  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3593
Joined: Dec 20, 2003
Last Visit: Apr 18, 2021
Location: Canada

Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:23 pm 
 

Mars wrote:Way back when, Gord was a "something level buyer" (don't remember what he called it) from TSR so they shipped him one of everything.  I ended up buying about 10 of the other TSR boxed games like Snits Revenge, Cohorts, War of Wizards, FITS, etc from him a few years back, they also had a great selection of nonTSR D&D that I have picked up since.  I have spent over $1500 there over the last 5 years but never seen the inside.  They also do free shipping for orders over $100 and no sales tax.


When I first moved here to Calgary (five years ago now) I averaged almost a $1000 per month in that store.  They had so much "old" inventory just lying around.  I purchased 1st ed mods in shrink for cover price, miniature boxsets from the heyday still in shrink, old Traveller, Old GW, Judges guild, Gamma World, Top Secret, ASL, World in Flames, Classic Avalon Hill games (like titan for example).  I think the best was buying up all there old obscure AD&D non-TSR items.


Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 760
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Last Visit: Apr 18, 2021
Location: Dallas, TX

Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:32 pm 
 

When I first moved here to Calgary (five years ago now) I averaged almost a $1000 per month in that store.  They had so much "old" inventory just lying around.  I purchased 1st ed mods in shrink for cover price, miniature boxsets from the heyday still in shrink, old Traveller, Old GW, Judges guild, Gamma World, Top Secret, ASL, World in Flames, Classic Avalon Hill games (like titan for example).  I think the best was buying up all there old obscure AD&D non-TSR items.


See now you're just showing off  :)

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3593
Joined: Dec 20, 2003
Last Visit: Apr 18, 2021
Location: Canada

Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:41 pm 
 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:
See now you're just showing off  :)


If I really wanted to show off I could just take pictures of by OD&D collection like this:

Image
1st print woody

Image
1st Vampire Queen (first adventure module) and something a little extra :wink:

Image
All 1st print OD&D supps and a 2nd print Dwarven glory to play with(Morno copy) 8)

But I wouldn't want be to pretentious.  :wink:


Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 6070
Joined: May 03, 2003
Last Visit: Mar 29, 2021
Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:59 am 
 

Blackmoor wrote:I think the best was buying up all there old obscure AD&D non-TSR items.


They really did a good job of getting in these 3rd party items.  I picked up a bunch of magazines like Adventure Gaming, Game News, VIP of Gaming, Abyss fanzines and lots of nonTSR stuff too like Gamelords, New Infinities, Ragnarok Press, Sage Lore, LegendQuest, Games Workshop stuff.  The list goes on and on.

Its the kind a place where Gord just might have the Gateway to Adventure display still stashed away in his basement.  I'm applying for a job in Lethbridge so who knows, I may end up out there sometime :)

 WWW  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3593
Joined: Dec 20, 2003
Last Visit: Apr 18, 2021
Location: Canada

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:11 am 
 

Mars wrote:
They really did a good job of getting in these 3rd party items.  I picked up a bunch of magazines like Adventure Gaming, Game News, VIP of Gaming, Abyss fanzines and lots of nonTSR stuff too like Gamelords, New Infinities, Ragnarok Press, Sage Lore, LegendQuest, Games Workshop stuff.  The list goes on and on.

Its the kind a place where Gord just might have the Gateway to Adventure display still stashed away in his basement.  I'm applying for a job in Lethbridge so who knows, I may end up out there sometime :)


What are you applying for?  Lethbridge is a very windy place BTW.


Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 6070
Joined: May 03, 2003
Last Visit: Mar 29, 2021
Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:18 am 
 

I'm hoping to finish up the PhD in CS sometime this year and Lethbridge has two faculty positions in CS open.  A lot of it depends on if they are looking for someone in my particular area or if they want someone with more experience - its pretty much a crap shoot I think.

 WWW  
Next
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 21, 2