Sorcerer's Apprentice; Wargamers Research Group; More..
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:39 pm 

Heyas all.

Well, I've found a surprising number of oddball items at a surprising place locally, and I'm not sure what's worth getting, and what's not even worth trashing. There's too much of it for me to just bulk buy and pray, so I figured I'd ask for advice here.

Magazines:
* Sorcerer's Apprentice (I picked up #15 just to at least take a look)
* Adventure Gaming
* Space Gamer (1989)

Space Gamer confuses me, since it says "Premier Issue, Vol. II, No. 1", but it's a magazine that seems like it was going for years. So I've got no idea how to figure out the actual # of the magazine I've got.

Are copies of those magazines worth picking up? What's a reasonable price to pay?

Also, some random stuff that I can't seem to get any good info on:

* Army Lists Book Two 55BC - 1000AD  (Wargames Research Group, January 1982)
* TSR Product Catalog (1990 + 1991)
* DragonQuest 3rd Edition Softcover

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:23 pm 

The lowers number space gamer mags are worth quite a bit! I know that issues 30 + came with a protectice Mailing cover, they can sometime be worh more (although I have seen so few of these sold with the cover that it is hard to know for certain if it makes a difference on the price or not), 84 issues made. The other mags are worth a couple of $$ and are not that all uncommon.

Brette:)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:23 pm 

GraysonAC wrote:Space Gamer confuses me, since it says "Premier Issue, Vol. II, No. 1", but it's a magazine that seems like it was going for years. So I've got no idea how to figure out the actual # of the magazine I've got.

Someone will correct me, but Space Gamer combined with Fantasy Gamer and went through several different publishers before ceasing publication.  One of the Steve Jacksons (UK version or US version) had it, and then it ended up at Better Games in California.  Better Games may still own it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:24 pm 

Sorcerer's Apprentice mags are pretty common, apart from the first three issues. Issues 1-3 can go for up to $30-40, but after that they're up on ebay pretty regularly. $1 an issue is about right.

Space Gamer was started by Metagaming in 1975 or so, and they published up until issue 70-something. Then the mag was sold to another company who published maybe 10 issues, then the mag died for a while, then it was revived for a handful of issues by yet a third company before finally being put to rest permanently. Again, the first few issues are pretty rare and can cost some cash, but anything after say issue 10 is common - same deal as above, $1 an issue.

Adventure Gaming was a mag started by Tim Kask after he left TSR. 13 issues total, a pretty good read, but no demand for them now. Once again, $1 an issue is about right.

Wargames Research Group was a bunch of English wargamers who got together to write/publish wargame rules, mostly directed by Phil Barker. They produced a huge number of wargames rules and army lists, starting from about 1973 or so. No real demand, most of the books they produced go for $5-10 when they come on ebay.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Mike

Demand of them whither they should comme to devide the worlde with the Emperour? And as they answered, he tooke up his shirte behinde and shewed them his buttocks, sayenge unto them, drawe your Lyne throughe the middest of *this* place.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:13 am 

GraysonAC wrote:* DragonQuest 3rd Edition Softcover

Space Gamer is a fine magazine (unless the magazine is the - in my eyes - horrid one put together by DTI). I put for sale a lot of them, but because I have already ALMOST completed my collection... DragonQuest 3rd edition seems having some monetary value - I guess that it could be sold around $ 25-30 in an EBay store (where, I noticed, prices can be significantly higher thatn in auctions!). My best guess is $ 10, assuming the place where the game is located is not very informed about it...

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:44 am 

JohnGaunt wrote:
Someone will correct me, but Space Gamer combined with Fantasy Gamer and went through several different publishers before ceasing publication.  One of the Steve Jacksons (UK version or US version) had it, and then it ended up at Better Games in California.  Better Games may still own it.

Ah yes had forgotten about them, Space Gamer Fantasy Gamer 8 issues.. glossy colour covers,  a couple of $$.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SPACE-GAMER-FANTASY ... dZViewItem

Yours seems to be of this era though.. Hmm.. I don't think I have these.. and dam, issue to has an adventure for Albedo in it....

Here is issue 2 in a store http://cgi.ebay.com/SPACE-GAMER-VOL-2-2 ... dZViewItem

Brette

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:28 pm 

Hi Brett -

You sure the SG/FG combo ran for 8 issues? I have 6, and I thought that was a complete run.

Regards

Mike

Demand of them whither they should comme to devide the worlde with the Emperour? And as they answered, he tooke up his shirte behinde and shewed them his buttocks, sayenge unto them, drawe your Lyne throughe the middest of *this* place.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:53 pm 

8 issues see here

http://www.spacegamer.com/spacegamer/history.asp

2 to go;)

Brette:)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:59 pm 

Thanks Brett. I got the SG/FG mag confused with the Fantasy Gamer mag. I'm sure you know already, but for reference - when Space Gamer was owned by SJG, he decided that people didn't want both sci-fi and fantasy material in the same mag, so he started a complementary mag to SG called Fantasy Gamer. He kept SG as purely sci-fi, and put all the D&D type stuff into FG. It lasted 6 issues before SJG recognised they weren't creating a new market, they were just dividing their current base (ie selling the same number of issues overall for higher production costs).

I have all issues of SG up until 77 or thereabouts, including the 6 FG issues. I kind of lost interest in collecting them at that point, and so I've never seen any of the more recent SG/FG issues.

Regards

Mike

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:28 am 

Hello,

Y'know, after all this time, I shouldn't be surprised at the depth of knowledge of folks here, but.. wow, heh.

Thanks all. If anyone's in need of anything that I mentioned, let me know and I'd be happy to sell it to folks here first (if I can still get it).

I'll grab any low-# of the magazines, although I'm not sure there are any.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:50 am 

pm sent!