Signed Forgotten Realms Book
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:18 am 

Hello ALL,

Just a question of curiosity, I acquired a signed Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting book and wanted to know its "perceived" value. I searched the forum for posts about this, but could not find any. In addition, I searched the net and there is no definitive number, but I would have to guess these guys signed 200+ copies (just an estimate).

The signatures are of the four authors, but Sean Reynolds apparently did a different signature for each one. Mine has "We've got an 86 carat diamond . . .", which I am wondering if this was his way of covertly  :roll: numbering each copy he signed. Does anyone know if this is true or just over-analytical thinking on my part?

Thanks,

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:59 am 

Autographs on RPG items don't normally tend to increase the value of the item.  Some collectors even consider it a blemish, especially if the signer had little or nothing to do with the product.  In this case it seems a planned amount were put aside to be signed by the authors and therefore may increase its value a bit.  I think Sean Reynolds's personalizing his inscription is a cool and time-consuming (for him) thing to do and, depending on the inscription, could make the item more or less valuable to some Realms fans.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:43 pm 

VermilionFire wrote:Autographs on RPG items don't normally tend to increase the value of the item.  Some collectors even consider it a blemish,

That's been my experience as well.

Sean Reynolds is a weird, fun guy, so that might just be him goofing around, heh. I'd definately try to find out beforehand though.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:30 pm 

Most of the people here on the boards don't collect 3.x edition stuff, so you have probably done the most research on the subject.

I collect 3.x edition stuff, but I'm in the minority, it seems.

I'm willing to bet it would sell better to a collector af autographs rather than an RPG collector (unless D&D goes into a 4th or 5th edition), so don't expect to get more than, or even as much as, you paid for it originally.

Probably not what you wanted to hear - just putting my observations out there.

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!