HELP NEEDED FOR MONSTER MANUAL UK EDITION
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 4:05 am 

I received today a copy of the Monster Manual UK edition :D , the softcover edition (I don't collect AD&D books except for British editions  8O ) and I immediately went to The Acaeum for identifying the printing. Problem is: the copyright page has no indications about the edition. Judging from all the data supplied in the relevant web page, I suppose this is a first printing (for example, there is no GW Faerie logo on the catalog page, the info about Outdoor Geomorphs 2-4 is present, the DM Guide is still announced as Referee's Guide to be released, the cover is laminated). Am I looking into the wrong place perhaps :oops: ?

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 3:32 pm 

Nope, looks like you may have found the first print.  Could you e-mail me the details, specifically how it compares to the first print we currently list?

Foul

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:53 am 

FoulFoot wrote:Nope, looks like you may have found the first print.  Could you e-mail me the details, specifically how it compares to the first print we currently list?

Foul

I happen to own another copy of MM UK and I checked it for some comparisons: in this second specimen  :D  I found the note "3rd edition", so now I'm sure this specimen it's a first edition (very first edition?  :wink: ). I'll email you shortly after answering this message.

Is this a rare item?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:04 pm 

I too have just aquired a softback UK MM

No print version on the copyright page, just (c) 1977, but no "TM Reg Applied For" in small red letters under the main title ... a first UK print somwhere between first and second US print ??

Any idea on value - has anything like this ever been sold recently??

Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:35 pm 

You're looking in the wrong place -- the UK edition print info is on a separate page.  To access it, click the brown "Foreign Editions" button on the Monster Manual page.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:00 pm 

I've also got one of these.  One in a long line (OK, four) as I've tried to find one that isn't falling apart.  I remember friends going for this cheaper option in 1977.  £4.50 for the softback compared to the £6.95 for the hardback was a big difference back then.  Almost the price of a small house  :wink: Anyway, most of these UK versions started shedding covers and pages after a couple of years hard gaming.  Whereas my USA copy looked good in comparison.  And it still does.  Probably the main reason for it's apparent rarity is it's fragility.  I'm sure GW must have sold loads.  But I doubt that too many survived intact.

So, if you're buying one, it's worth checking that none of the pages have escaped.  But if they have, you could always insert a photcopy.  I'm sure there is a certain UK PowerSeller who wouldn't be averse to that  :wink:

As for the laminated cover, I believe that this is an after market addition.  I have seen laminated copies myself.  But these have only been since I started collecting.  I always remembered the covers as having a matt finish.

I would also say that the 1st print is in fact about 2mm taller than the USA version.  Later prints about 2mm smaller.  But I don't want to be too picky.