Etchings & Odysseys
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:13 pm 

I have a quandery here. I have a copy of Etchings & Odysseys, but I have no clue what number it is or the potential value for sale. Here are some key notes for description:

- It has a comb binding
    - Copyright is 1973
    - # 23/250 in a limited edition
    - 116 pages

Beyondthebreach: I noticed you have a couple issues in your store. Can you provide any insight on this?

Any help is greatly appreciated, as always.

The Wraith - [email protected]

Yin & Yang Productions on eBay:
http://myworld.ebay.com/yinyangpro

WWW ICQ YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:05 pm 

I believe that is Issue #1!  It was published in 1973 . . . there was then a 10 year hiatus until Issue #2 was revived and published in 1983.  They go up to Issue #10 in 1987.

I've had mine in the store for sometime . . . I suspect I should lower the price to around $15 . . . but they are pretty cool mags and even the later ones that I have are limited to runs of 750.

Anyway . . . I have never seen the Issue you have, so I can't honestly say if the combs were put there by the publisher or a previous owner.  However, I suspect that it is quite rare and that everyone who wants a copy knows exactly what it is . . .  just as the Acaeum is all over any Woody that comes up for auction!

I would suggest ebay and see where the auction goes!  Have fun!

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:18 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:I believe that is Issue #1!  It was published in 1973 . . . there was then a 10 year hiatus until Issue #2 was revived and published in 1983.  They go up to Issue #10 in 1987.

I've had mine in the store for sometime . . . I suspect I should lower the price to around $15 . . . but they are pretty cool mags and even the later ones that I have are limited to runs of 750.

Anyway . . . I have never seen the Issue you have, so I can't honestly say if the combs were put there by the publisher or a previous owner.  However, I suspect that it is quite rare and that everyone who wants a copy knows exactly what it is . . .  just as the Acaeum is all over any Woody that comes up for auction!

I would suggest ebay and see where the auction goes!  Have fun!

Thanx! I appreciate the info. It does help. I'm hoping to put it up this weekend... as long as I have some spare time. :)

The Wraith - wrait[email protected]

WWW ICQ YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:21 pm 

I sold a book of sketches earlier this year that was amazingly similar, but I can't remember the name of it.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:45 pm 

I located a website that lists a Robert E. Howard story as appearing in issue #1 of Etchings & Odysseys.

http://www.eclipse.co.uk/sweetdespise/howard/short.html

The story is titled "Casonetto's Last Song".

If the issue you have displayed contains that story then I would say it is the first issue.  :)

JasonW

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:51 pm 

what is in these anything to do with roleplaying? or stories and pics?

Brette:)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:55 pm 

jasonw1239 wrote:I located a website that lists a Robert E. Howard story as appearing in issue #1 of Etchings & Odysseys.

http://www.eclipse.co.uk/sweetdespise/howard/short.html

The story is titled "Casonetto's Last Song".

If the issue you have displayed contains that story then I would say it is the first issue.  :)

JasonW

And lo, there is such a story in the issue I have found. And it is good. :)

Thanx for the assist!

The Wraith - [email protected]

WWW ICQ YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:49 am 

beasterbrook wrote:what is in these anything to do with roleplaying? or stories and pics?

Brett, they are mainly reprints of old Weird Tales stories.  Nothing RPG related (other than their role as early "source" material that later games like CoC were based upon.)

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:58 am 

Thanks, I have come across a mad keen Howard fan, so I shall pass along details of the mag to him...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:00 pm 

beasterbrook wrote:Thanks, I have come across a mad keen Howard fan, so I shall pass along details of the mag to him...

This reminds me . . . I've always wanted to get all the Weird Tales (and a few other mags) with the original REH Conan stories.  I have a list of what I need . . . I guess it will be costly, but in this instance, I would have to relent on my concern with condition and hope to get them as cheaply as possible.

. . .  None are on eBay now anyway . . .