Question: Dragon back issues
Poll: How should I sell this collection of Dragon magazine back issues?

Poll ended at Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:23 pm
eBay - Individually 0%       0%  [ 0 ]
eBay - As a whole collection 45%       45%  [ 5 ]
eBay - In lots of 10 or so 45%       45%  [ 5 ]
Other (Please include a reply to this topic with your chosen method.) 9%       9%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 11

Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:23 pm 

I recently unearthed a large collection of Dragon magazine back issues. Some are in fine shape, others are not so good. The oldest I have is #38, and the collection spans well into the 220's. I don't think that many of the more popular issues with inserts have the inserts. If there are some key issues I should check, please let me know.

I need to get rid of them. I was hoping to solicit some opinions on how to go about this.

Thank you.

The Wraith - [email protected]

Yin & Yang Productions on eBay:
http://myworld.ebay.com/yinyangpro

WWW ICQ YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:28 pm 

I would list the first ten if you have isues 1-10 individually, and issues 11 through 100 in lots of 5 and 101 and above in lots of 10. Hard work but probobly more proffitable.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:46 pm 

I would list any decent conition ones Pre-Dragon #50 individually and whatever is left over as one or two big lots.  That is IMO the best way to maximize your take on it.  Post #50 Dragons just don't sell very well individually and even if you list them for $0.99 each, you are not likely to any bids as, no one wants to pay $5 or $6 to get a Dragon #103, etc..  Listing a big lot or 2 big lots will make the shipping total high, but when you break it down to less the shipping cost being than a $1 per magazine, it will make it more attactive to potential buyers.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:49 pm 

For issues in the 30s I would probably list separately. In the 40s maybe as lots of 3 or 4 issues.  50s and 60s into lots of 10 maybe.  After that bundled into lots of 30 or 50?  To be honest, I think Dragon magazines after issue 60 are a really tough sell.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:14 am 

I'd try selling individually up to about issue 40.  But , from memory, I think that there were some very good issues well into the #80s and #90s.  So, don't make the lots too big.  But you're really going to struggle with the later #100s and early #200s.  In fact, if you cost your time, it might just be worth using them as packaging/freebies.  Either that or off to the landfill! :cry:

Not sure about the legality of this.  But if you have a Dragon magazine archive, it could be a useful marketing ploy to offer the PDF of the particular magazine(s) in the lot you are selling.  Any thoughts on that one?

'ear all, see all, say nowt.  Eat all, sup all, pay nowt.  An' if tha ever does owt for nowt then allus do it for thisen.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:09 pm 

I'm sure selling the PDF along with the magazine is a breach of copyright - especially if you are taking it from the archive.  There must be a statement that says you are not allowed to reproduce or alter any of the archive without written authorization.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:00 pm 

Dragon Mags are basically worthless (except early issues as already noted on this thread).

I just sold about 125 different issues of them - offering them up at just 25 cents each! If you auction them at ebay, you may expect the same (or very little more).

There are only a few exceptions:

Dragon #100 can potentially get you around $5 - $7 if it still has the Sago of Old City poster attached.

I have sold Dragon #148 on three different occasions for at least $15.  Of course, this is only if it has an intact, uncut Deck of Many Things.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Verbose Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:34 pm 

Sell them as a lot.  Most people are unwilling to even pay S&H costs on small lots or individual copies, the exception being Dragon magazines in the mid to low 30's and down that are in great shape.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:07 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:Dragon Mags are basically worthless (except early issues as already noted on this thread).

There are only a few exceptions:

I'll add one group: the early 3e issues.

I don't have my list in front of me, but I think the group I'm talking about here is roughly from about #278 to about #310. I've never had any trouble unloading these, either as a group or by individual issues. I'm not sure what the deal was: distribution problem? excitement over 3e? lower print run? Whatever it was, most of these issues will fetch more than cover price.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:34 pm 

Thank you for all your input. I'll be posting auctions soon enough.

The Wraith - [email protected]

Yin & Yang Productions on eBay:
http://myworld.ebay.com/yinyangpro

WWW ICQ YIM