D&D Set1: Basic Rules 1011 red box new
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:46 am 

Hello guys

I have this box set new and still sealed in factory shrink. The box has colapsed a bit under the shrink. ISBN 0-88038-338-0 copyright TSR 1974, 1989. Distributed over here in the UK from TSR Ltd, 120 Church End, Cherry Hinton, Cambridge.

Looked at ebay pricing for used and found quite a mix, but none complete and certainly none new. Best price for used was about £16 ($30). Should I sell this at about double that  or a bit more?

Thanks

Martin.

"I AM DEATH, AGAINST WHOM NO LOCK WILL HOLD, NOR PORTAL BAAAAA"

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:39 am 

its worth that much??!! wow.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:48 am 

I wouldn't think so, not for a Red Box even if in SW.
Did the £16 auction sell?

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:44 am 

No way in hell it'll sell for £16. It's just not collectable. Hold onto it for 20 years and you might get a tidy sum for it then. The thing is anyone can shrinkwrap items nowadays. We've even seen 1E orange spine hardbacks 'in original factory shrink'!   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
The shrinkwrap doesn't add to its value. There's no way of proving its new.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:46 am 

Hey Martin,

I'm not sure if you were looking up the right set or not.  In doing a quick search over on ebay.co.uk here are links to the recent comparable red box sales:

** expired eBay auction **

The first is pratically new and didn't even sell for 1 pound, the second sold for 5.80 and the last one sold for 10 but included the first 3 boxed sets.  I bought mine for $10 a while back.  I would think if you were going to put it into an ebay store or something you might be able to get 10 pounds for it from someone who really wanted it in shrink - but this could take some time.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:59 am 

Rocky-Waist wrote:Oh well here goes...

eBay listings

http://uk.three.ebid.net/stores/DragonsRest

I know the some prices are higher than most will want to pay, more research is needed. I chose to list them so people could see what I have and if a few sell in the mean time, then great. I will be doing some research and adjusting prices as I go along. I have another 200 odd new items to list and probably 400 + used items, plus collectable cards.

I am open to suggestions. I am not in a hurry to sell, because I have had some items sitting here for 15 years (a good investment if I make the right price).

New items mean exactly that, new as they came from my distributor.  Any damage is noted in the listings. I operate a returns policy, please note items in shrink wrap should not be opened (if you just change your mind and want to return them within 7 days). Opening an item still in original shrink wrap devalues it. If anyone is unhappy (you need a reason) with a purchase, return it and I will refund.

Some items have been shrink wrapped to protect them, these items did not come wrapped when new. This is noted in the listings.

The LegendQuest stuff... no I don't expect to get that much, I have not yet found anywhere that have these as new items. They might be worthless...

Some items have sold already at the prices asked for, which means I can't be far off with some items. When I started listing back in April, I was listing too cheap and they were selling as quick as I could list.

Requests or items to be relisted for anyone, I would prefer to use ebid. ebid are free to list and sell, ebay have doubled their fees to shops (fee grabbing money hugging greedy bar stewards gits..... rackasnazzin frackasnzzzin.....grrr).

OK if this is too comercial or annoys anyone, please remove it and I will understand. I won't sulk ....much.

*ducks and runs for cover*

added 18th Oct:
I got loads of Spellfire and other CCG's, like Star Trek TNG etc

Congradulations and many thanks. I think your shop is great. Keep up the excellent work.  Sales in my shop have really picked up now that people compare our prices.  You're the best thing that's happenned to my business all year.  :D

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:56 pm 

Ok thanks guys. I reckon I'll give it a try at £20.

See what happens, I can always reduce it later. I'll come back here let you know.

It is original shrink, I don't expect you to believe me because you don't know me. The orange spines don't say original shrink, the difference being I had them wrapped when I bought them to protect them on my shelves. If I have an item in original shrink I say so.[/b]

"I AM DEATH, AGAINST WHOM NO LOCK WILL HOLD, NOR PORTAL BAAAAA"