Warriors of Mars, DD White Box 5th edition, +++
Author

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:31 pm 

Been in storage for years.  Any ideas what these are worth?

Warriors of Mars has some signs of use, and very limited handwriting on 2 or 3 pages (adding entries to some monster tables and notations on one of the maps)

White box has faint water marks on it, but books and reference sheet are in excellent condition.  Stiff pages, no writing or marks, clean copies, etc.  Have all three volumes plus Greyhawk, Blackmoor, and Gods Demigods & Heroes supplements.

Have an offer of $275 for the lot.

Have some pics, but not a host to link them up to this forum.

(I also have the Traveler RPG books and box.  Don't even know if there's a market for that one out there.)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:39 pm 

$275 for both seems a little low... the last copy of Warriors of Mars on ebay went for $500 or so. Even with signs of use, your copy should do better than $275 on its own.

White boxes can vary depending on condition, but it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect at least $100 for it.

Regards

Mike

Demand of them whither they should comme to devide the worlde with the Emperour? And as they answered, he tooke up his shirte behinde and shewed them his buttocks, sayenge unto them, drawe your Lyne throughe the middest of *this* place.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:58 pm 

I agree $275 is very low.  Actually, the last WoM went for ~$230 on its own, but that was unannounced and in the incorrect category.  I was the second place bidder on that auction and the only reason it went for that cheap is because I already own one.  The last 2 annonuced WoM went for $500 each.  The 5th print set itself depending on condition will typically net you in excess of $100 unless its trashed.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:00 pm 

Agreed, the offer is too low.  Unless the condition of both is really bad.

Let mirth prevail!

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:19 pm 

Not sure what your standard rating system is, but to my untrained eyes the condition of all the books is very good.

The D&D volumes don't show much signs of wear at all, clean covers, straight spines, no folds, creases, doubled back bends, etc.  The only one that really looks like its been used at all is the WoM book, and pretty light use at that.  No bends or creases, some very minor handwriting, and only very light smudging on the cover where it was handled.

So how does one go about announcing an auction if I want to put the WoM up on ebay?  Just post here with a link to the auction?  I'm not in a hurry to sell, but figured I'd put it up before the holidays.[/quote]

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:57 pm 

darkstar wrote:Have some pics, but not a host to link them up to this forum.

If you want to email them to me, I'll host them for you.

[email protected]

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:47 pm 

From Darkstar: 600 pixels wide, no color-correction or other filters applied:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:14 pm 

Wow, everything looks real nice. Definitely worth a lot more than $275 in there. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:19 am 

wow!!!! verrrry niiiice!  :wink:
i'd say that the entire lot is far over 500 bucks!!!

ciaooo

EDIT: i'd suggest that you'd state also supplements printing info! doing so you could earn more...  :wink:

I am the servant of the Secret Maps, Wielder of the flame of Clone!
You cannot quote! The dark spam will not avail you, flame of Udun.
Go back to the Shadow! You... cannot... post!!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:30 am 

I still think that $500 for a Warriors of Mars is on the high side especially if it has writing inside it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:43 am 

Mars wrote:I still think that $500 for a Warriors of Mars is on the high side especially if it has writing inside it.

Yeah. I think $500 is a bit high for a minty WoM.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:25 am 

Agreed with you both(even though I also bought a NM one for $500.  :oops: ).  My main point is that that lot is worth far more than $275. :wink:

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:48 pm 

Thanks for all your insight and advice.  I am definitely going to sell the lot within the next 30 days, just not sure yet how I'm going to go about it.  These are my personal books that I've been carting around for almost 30 years (!), and my preference would be to sell them to a collector rather than someone that's just planning to flip them for a profit, but of course once they are sold its out of my hands.  All that's just by way of saying that ebay isn't necessarily at the top of my list as the way to go.

If Xaxaxe is willing, I will post some additional pictures of individual items in the lot next week, including one or two showing the writing in WoM.  Let me know if there are any other images you want to see, and I'm glad to post those as well (assuming its OK to do so within the policies of the board).  I'll also post a detailed list of the date/print run info in the books over the weekend.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:39 pm 

darkstar wrote:If Xaxaxe is willing, I will post some additional pictures of individual items in the lot next week, including one or two showing the writing in WoM.

I think we should compromise and run no more than two additional shots — three at the most. I want to help out, but ...:

1. This isn't my web-site;
2. My storage space isn't infinite;
3. When you actually list the item on eBay, you can, in theory, post as many photos as you like.

But I'd say sending me a couple more shots of WoM would be worth it. The interest seems high and this is where many of the big hitters in RPG collecting hang out ... it would definitely be worth your time. :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:43 pm 

Another option for hosting pictures is at www.photobucket.com.  Its 100% free and its also super easy to join and to use.  From there you can host as many pictures that you would like without worring about bandwidth and whatnot.  :)  Some people like imageshack, but I much prefer photobucket.  Its a lot easier to use and it doesn't have the stupid pop-up ads that imageshack has.

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:50 pm 

I'm going to start a new thread just on the Warriors of Mars book, and will post a few pictures there shortly.  Later on, I'll probably do the same with the other items in the lot.

Until then, here's the printing info on each of the items in the lot:

White Box, 5th ed.
Men & magic c 1974
monsters & treasures c 1974
underworld  c 1974
reference sheet is 4 pages (1 8-1/2 x 11 printed on both sides and folded in half)

Greyhawk, 4th printing July 1976

Blackmoor, 2nd printing, July 1976

Gods, Demigods & Heroes, 1976 (1st ed?)

Warriors of Mars (Gygax & Blume), 1974

I'm leaning towards breaking the lot up to sell it.  I'll sell the WoM book by itself, and the white box with the three original books and supplement as well.  Any thoughts on whether the Greyhawk, Blackmoor, and Gods, Demingods ... should be sold individually, together, or included with the white box?

Thanks for looking, and thanks again for your help.

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:28 pm 

New topic here:

http://www.acaeum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4827&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:05 pm 

Thanks to the help and insight I got on these boards, and a large bit of holiday loosening of the purse strings, the lot went for nearly $800 on ebay -- way more than the $275 offered by T&T .  All auctions have been completed and paid.

For anyone else stumbling across this thread in the future, here's the final breakdown:
Warriors of Mars - $446.81
White Box 5th - $164.50
Gods DemiGods (1st) - $81
Greyhawk (4th) - $60
Blackmoor (2nd) - $47

Thank you all.  -- this is way better than I expected.  Unfortunately my D&D trove is exhausted at the moment (unless there are some more unknown treasures lurking in the boxes in the attic).  I'll keep my eye out for more in my wanderings, and if I find anything of interest, I'll check back in here.  Goodbye til then!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:16 pm 

T&T? :/

grats on the $

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:21 pm 

Would that be Troll & Toad the eBay reseller?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.