Any estimates on this lot?
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:28 pm 

I am thinking about making the seller an offer on this lot since he isn't too far away to drive and pick it up and he doesn't want to ship it or split it up.

I don't know too much about the Pendragon stuff or Star Wars either.  Anyone have any suggestions at what would be a reasonable offer for this?

** expired eBay auction **

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:01 pm 

well the first thing is you are not going to get THAT many ppl who will go out of their way up to there to get that lot.

i do notice that there are also some very nice items there too.

you dont know if they are all complete or not or whether the nice more valued items are actually in decent condition either.

if it was me i would be happy to offer prb $750-800 but then thats cos i dont know what the hell is really there and i wouldnt want all the stuff that much, so i am basing it on what i want and what i dont want.

Al

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:11 pm 

You have to keep in mind that there are a lot of "junk" items in there as well though. For instance there are some common Role-Aids items in there that woulnd't go for any more that $2-$3, all the Spell Jammer items are pretty much junk lot items. Even if the Dragons are all in solid shape, you would still be lucky to get any more than a couple dollars each for them.  It also looks like the three booklets from the Castles box set, a couple books from the GH From the Ashes & Wars Box Sets are included in the pile of books which are worth next to nothing and the 2 Encyclopedia Magicas are pretty worth ony a $1 or $2 each.  The T1-4 looks pretty rough its possible if not likely that the any/all the super modules may not have their map books in them.  The remaining GH items look pretty solid from the pictures, but it would defintely be worth a query as to whether or not there is any writing in them or what not. I really don't know anything about the WEG stuff so I can't really comment on it.  Truth be told with the shipping included, I would be very hesitant to go much more than the opening bid, especially without getting a whole lot more detail about item condition than is currently there.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:14 pm 

bclarkie wrote:You have to keep in mind that there are a lot of "junk" items in there as well though. For instance there are some common Role-Aids items in there that woulnd't go for any more that $2-$3, all the Spell Jammer items are pretty much junk lot items. Even if the Dragons are all in solid shape, you would still be lucky to get any more than a couple dollars each for them.  It also looks like the three booklets from the Castles box set arew included in there which are worth next to nothing and the 2 Encyclopedia Magicas are pretty worth ony a $1 or $2 each as well.  The GDQ1-7 looks pretty rough and so does the T1-4 and its possible if not likely that they may not have thier map books in them.  The remaining GH items look pretty solid from the pictures, but it would defintely be worth a query as to whether or not there is any writing in them or what not. I really don't know anything about the WEG stuff so I can't really comment on it.  Truth be told with the shipping included, I would be very hesitant to go much more than the opening bid, especially without getting a whole lot more detail about item condition than is currently there.

well its good that you said that BC cos it was what i was originally thinking before i made my posting above.

i thought i would sound stupid if i said not to go above the opening bid cos that was my original esitmate, considering all the "junk" items in the lot which are prb not worth their salt.

good call.

Al

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:20 pm 

Opening bid is about right -- I'd say less, but you're saving a lot on shipping by picking it up.  It's a large lot, but there's nothing particularly special in it that I can see.

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:20 pm 

Actually looking at the picture with all the books in it, it looks like the seller actually removed  the books from several of the box sets(i.e GH Wars, GH From the Ashes, the SJ sets books are there to) to make it seem like there are a lot more books there than there really is.  It also begs the question as whether or not the maps from all the box sets are present or not as well.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:32 pm 

I am close enough to London that it would also be cheaper for me drive up and pick it up. But for $500 this guy needs to be a hell of lot more detailed.

He needs to completely break those items down and sort them correctly. Otherwise, you are buying $500 worth junk that is worth maybe half of that.

You would be lucky to dump that entire Dragon Collection for $75.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:35 pm 

At a real quick estimate (since I can't tell exactly what each single item listed is), I would think I could resell it for $800-1000 based on what I (think) I see.  There may be more items that could up the price . . . I actually suspect it might be more than 1K, but lack of pics and a complete listing make it hard to be sure of . . .

Figure, Pendragon can be stuck in an ebay store and sold for $15-25 each (maybe more like $10 if you put them up for straight auction.) I saw Land of Giants in there, which can easily be sold for $50 on it's own . . . Pagan Shores should go for $25-30 and (if) Lordly Domains is there, it is also a good sell around $25-30.

West End Star Wars - figure an average of $8 each with some much more - Galaxy Guide 6 Tramp Freighters should get $30 easy, GG10 Bounty Hunters at least $20 and several other GG's around $10-15.  Platt's Starport Guide around $15-20 - the Smuggler's Guide even more.  Star Warriors box set $15-40 (depending on if it is unpunched or not).

Lots of other great stuff - Iuz the Evil, From the Ashes, Greyhawk Wars, Dungeon #2, Marklands, City of Skulls, GDQ1-7, Vecna Lives . . . anything (almost) Greyhawk will get at least $10.

Even Spelljammer mods I wouldn't sell for less than $5 (but that's just me  :D  )

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:07 pm 

Thanks for the quick replies!  Personally, I was thinking about making an offer of $350 - $400.  I asked about the boxed sets and he tells me that they are complete but just not necessarily in the boxes.  Some of the Greyhawk books are from the Greyhawk City boxed set which he doesn't have and I see the Greyhawk Gazetteer without the folder.

I really don't like buying the Dragon Magazines.  I can't see getting very much for them and they take up a lot of space.  Although I would like to know what other issues of Dungeon are in there.

The pickup drive will still probably cost me about $30-$40.  Its a little more than an hour away and I drive a gas guzzling V8 truck.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:18 pm 

I think you have to ask yourself : why would somebody start off ebay ( with zero feedback meaning zero experience buying or selling) trying to sell something thats potentionally worth hundreds of dollars $ ? In my humble opinion, no insult intended, seems a major lack of intelligence { on the seller's part} Is this somebody you really want to invest hundreds of dollars in dealing with? Of course if you only live a few miles away, then I guess you could always " staighten things out " if something is not up to par. I dont think you will have much bidding competion on this particular lot. Good luck.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:49 pm 

I don't think there is much competition on this lot with his conditions either and I really don't know how much he really really wants for the lot.  But he is moving at the end of the month and I guess doesn't want to take it with him.  There aren't too many other venues to try and sell it locally so I guess he put it up on Ebay.  His initial listing didn't have any pictures in it just a couple of lines - I asked for the photos.  The starting price was also $600 so he has dropped it $100 already too.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:03 pm 

I think if it was me, and only an hour away, I would take a drive up and inspect the goods. Who knows? Maybe hes sitting on a goldmine and you could be the great prospector.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:45 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:Figure, Pendragon can be stuck in an ebay store and sold for $15-25 each (maybe more like $10 if you put them up for straight auction.) I saw Land of Giants in there, which can easily be sold for $50 on it's own . . . Pagan Shores should go for $25-30 and (if) Lordly Domains is there, it is also a good sell around $25-30.

I ended up picking up this lot for $350 CAD or about $310 US.  I haven't had a chance to sort everything out yet but the Pendragon books are:

2704 The King Arthur Companion
2707 Knights Adventurous
2708 The Boy King
2709 Pendragon
2710 Savage Mountains
2711 Blood & Lust
2712 Perilous Forest
2713 Pagan Shores
2714 The Spectre King
2716 Pendragon (4th Edition)
2717 Beyond the Wall
2718 Land of Giants
2719 Lordly Domains
2801 Prince Valiant

Thanks for help with some of these BtB.  Is 2716 just a new edition of 2709?  The only Pendragon item I had before this purchase was a boxed set 2701-X.  Is 2709 an update of this boxed set?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:31 pm 

Mars wrote:

Thanks for help with some of these BtB.  Is 2716 just a new edition of 2709?  The only Pendragon item I had before this purchase was a boxed set 2701-X.  Is 2709 an update of this boxed set?

De nada.

Box set is the First edition . . . 2709 is the 3rd edition and the 4th edition is 2716 (though you probably had already figured that out for yourself :D  ) .  I never really played Pendragon so I can't relate which edition is "better".  However, it is worth noting that there is no 2nd edition Pendragon - Mr. Stafford himself posted this in response to a question a few months back.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "