Bloodstone Pass
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:23 pm 

Looks like the resellers are controlling the price H1 unpunched. Cougarrinard buys up everyone for $150 and now here's Hitahomer with buy-it-now for $250

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... egory=2545

Comments anyone? Am I alone in thinking that H1 is a bland module?

Nice counters though :-)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:03 am 

No you're not alone. It's not a bad module, but there are many better ones out there. The prices are just plain stupid now, and every fool who pays that kind of money will drive up the price for the next person.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:45 pm 

I beg to differ. I don't think the price is totally unrealistic. We have to consider the H-series is generally very attractive since it was made for high-level characters. That makes it interesting not only for collectors but for players who just want to play it or know the contents. Then, H1 is an 18 year old module and we can safely assume, that most of its original buyers played it at least partially and thus punched the counters and fold-ups. The number of unpunched, mint items should thereby be limited. I'd say a price of less then 100 $ for a mint H1 would be a great deal. I also think that a price of 150 $ for a mint H1 is not unreasonable.

I wonder, why the 2E castles accessory (TSR1056, released 1990) is still relatively cheap available. Most of it's original buyers will also have punched out the fold-up buildungs, yet items in mint condition rarely sell for more then 50$.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:46 pm 

A shame it isn't nearly in mint.........

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:52 pm 

The price for H1 is built mostly upon three factors:

Counters, cutouts, and the box

A copy of B10 in average condition and having unpunched counters will rarely sell below $50, despite what is listed in the Acaeum. Of those 30 examples on the auction history chart, I would be surprised if more than 5 or 6 were complete and probably only 2 or 3 of them were unpunched. It is just rare for that module to come with them. The Dragons of Glory was a far more common purchase simply because it was in the Dragonlance series (also, it is fairly common for unpunched counters to be present because not many people played the game but instead used it for informational content). I would say about half of them have the counters and most of those were unpunched.

Now H1 has a threefold problem. First, it has counters that are frequently punched or missing. Second, it has cutout buildings that could either be missing, cutout, or intact. And finally and most commonly, it has a box that has been, as most sellers of this module like to say, smooshed. Of the 33 that the Acaeum has under its auction history, how many of them were of collectible quality? Would anyone care to hazard a guess? How many had unpunched counters, a box that is in excellent, undamaged condition, and having uncut buildings? I would be surprised if it would be too much better than 1 in 10. That is one of the problems with having an auction history along side item valuations based on the item's condition: there is no way to compare the auction history to a specified condition unless you know what the norm usually is.  Sure, the average selling price for an H1 is $50...but going by the Acaeums own grading conventions, probably 9 out of 10 copies of H1 would be graded as being either fair (for the damaged box) or poor (incomplete). The same would be said for most copies of B10.

If you have a mint copy of B10 and you can get it for anything less than $65-70 then you are getting a good deal. A mint copy of the Acaeums list of $75 would be a downright steal! Heck, the way Cougarrinard is running up the value of H1 and the way the current market is for this module, I am happy that I got a mint copy for $105 (but I wasn't too happy about it at the time because I figured I would just have to grit my teeth and choke down the price since it seemed the only way to get a copy).

-PD

Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:39 pm 

I'd like to respond, before this gets too out of hand:

First, the values listed here are to be used as a guide only.  I think I've typed myself hoarse saying that.  The site FAQ also clearly states that each method of item valuation is flawed, and that's why we use three different methods, and you can decide for yourself.

Second, a quick search on eBay for module B10 shows four recent sales; one of the copies had all the counters, and could probably be described as near-mint; it sold for $50, which is right about what we value it at.  The other three copies sold for $10 (actually, this one didn't sell), $16, and $26.  Therefore, the auction history column makes total sense, since condition is not taken into account.  The average sale price of B10 is about $25!

The same situation holds true for H1.  There's an occasional wacky sale for $200, but for the most part, the auction sales are falling right into the figures that we list.  I'm not sure how you can imply otherwise?  A mint copy of H1, which admittedly doesn't come up that often, will usually sell for right about $75.  If it's in the shrinkwrap -- which is what most collectors want -- the price can nearly double.  But if you just want the module to play with, get a copy in VG or EX condition, with all the counters present.  You'll pay about $40.

Foul

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:33 am 

There have been 5 H1 unpunched sold AFAIK in the last few months.

the First 2 were bought by Cougarrinard for $150 apiece.

Nev got the 3rd for $70 (guess I should have bid higher and emailed Cougarrinard :-)).

4th is currently upto $100 or so with Cougarrinard currently winning

and 5th is hitahomers (link above).

I started this thread to query why cougarrinard is bidding so much (presumably to jack with the price for a H1?)

I personally think H1 severly lacks in playing merit. My opinion.

I also think that B10 is 4 times better than H1 and my B10 is the pride of my collection (I have both H1 & B10 in mint though H1s box is of course not mint).

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:57 pm 

I have a shrinkwrap box but it's smooshed.  Does anyone have a non-smooshed copy in the shrink?  Now that would be really rare...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:14 pm 

Scott, I am sorry if I am going down a path that so many have gone down before in referring to the valuations posted in the forum. I know that they are just a guide...but guide or not nor how much you talk yourself blue in the face (or more aptly blue in the fingers from typing), this is one of the few D&D collecting sites that actually posts a valuation for items. Also, it is one of the most visited D&D sites if not the most visited so like it or not, people will look at the prices you have posted and lend them greater credence than you feel they should.

I was recently e-mailing a member of the Acaeum forum about Wee Warriors and Misty Isles. I was wondering to him why Misty Isles generally ran for less (and frequently much less) than it's two TSR related brethren (PotVQ and DG) even though everything I have read or seen about it suggests that it is the rarest of the three. One of the reasons stated for this reduced selling valuations is that MI is not covered in the Acaeum. That is called a market influence and like it or not, the Acaeum is a market influence.

Just as the Acaeum mentions Zocchi's influencing the price for the rather common Kara-Tur boxed set, so will the Acaeum influence the market for all D&D products with its stated valuations. However, I will say that the Acaeum knows the power that it has and uses it with the utmost care and consideration.

Now, before I force Scott to respond further, I will say that I wrote what I did with great reluctance (it had been on my mind for some time but chose to keep my mouth shut), and in retrospect I wish I had not said anything because why bring up what has been brought up before, discussed ad nauseam, and buried where it so rightly belonged.

-PD

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 2:58 pm 

A new candidate:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=44112

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:04 pm 

He relisted it. Why didn't Puma buy it for $125?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 31, 2004 10:05 am 

A new record? $200 for a shrinkwrapped H1 bought by pitttbulll

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 31, 2004 12:05 pm 

Ralf Toth wrote:A new record? $200 for a shrinkwrapped H1 bought by pitttbulll

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

It's a really nice looking copy and not crushed.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 31, 2004 12:59 pm 

Yes, it's probably worth the money. Very nice shape, indeed. Can't remember having seen a copy of H1 reaching $200 before, that's why I posted.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:09 pm 

Ya but it was Pitbulll though, somehow I doubt the price wouldnt be so high if he wasnt bidding.  Look at the basic and expert set he won...almost 100 bucks for each.

"What can I get for $10?"

"Mint Rare and Shrinkwrapped-just pick that bar of soap up for us pls, we love you long time!"

YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:25 am 

Yea, how much money does Pitbull and Cougarrinard have anyway?  I've tried to bid against them before and it is useless.  I just give up.  IT'S PONDEROUS MAN!! PONDEROUS!!!!!!!

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:10 pm 

Patience grasshopper - The wolf gorges itself quickly and without savoring the feast.  When he can eat no more you can enjoy the bounty that remains.  Of course, other wolves might come forth from the shadows...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:17 pm 

Yeah, but the wolf gets the best shit since he goes first.

Next