Role aids adventure modules...
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:50 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Frank who?  Are you referring to "ExTSR" Frank?  This seller's ID is exsmart...not extsr.

:oops:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:52 am 

aia wrote:

...ahemmm... i'd say 3:  
** expired/removed eBay auction **
and in addition the seller is frank!  :wink:

Canadian seller, I think it is best if this one stays in Canada 8)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:39 pm 

Whoa, one sec, red flag. IIRC, a #782 sold this year or last year. I may be wrong, but if not, this has been reshrinked. I'm not even sure these WERE shrinked originally.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:12 pm 

I don't recall seeing it.  But then, there's a lot I don't recall...

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:13 pm 

...however, I bet Al would know.

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:17 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Whoa, one sec, red flag. IIRC, a #782 sold this year or last year. I may be wrong, but if not, this has been reshrinked. I'm not even sure these WERE shrinked originally.

The shrink is open anyway if you read the auction

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:18 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Whoa, one sec, red flag. IIRC, a #782 sold this year or last year. I may be wrong, but if not, this has been reshrinked. I'm not even sure these WERE shrinked originally.

i just checked mine, mine is 268.

fwiw i never did check the numbers, i just gung-ho'd the bid :)

that one looks like a mighty fine copy tho

perhaps a few questions need firing for authenticity?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:30 am 

Just went to my local used gamer store.  Here's what I got:

Blasted Land # 299 of 1000:  Not in Shrink.  Orange Cover.  Complete  $3
Kobold Hall #429 of 750:  Not in Shrink.  Orange Cover.  Complete $3
Fez I: Green Folder, Still in Shrink. $6
Nanorien Stories:  Light Blue Cover, Still in Shrink.  $4
Beastmaker Mountains:  Yellow Cover.  Not in Shrink $4.

Sounds like I got a deal for $20 for all 5.  I was familiar with the Role Aids softcover books, but never saw the folder ones.   They seemed too good to pass up (I figured the Origins module was rare).

By the way, the Sales sheet with BL has reddish ink, fwiw.

What was DALLCON?  

Hope to play them all.  
Tim

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:31 am 

A bargain.
Should've cost you close to $400.
None of them are particularily rare, but to find them all in one place is unusual. The two in shrink are also the two that are commonly found in shrink. The shrinkwrap doesn't overly add to value, nor is it that good at protecting it from damage, but it should help from catching the window on things.
The little window is the most commonly torn item. Very easy to damage. The two upper corners also get crumpled very easily on account of the book being smaller and the folder being wider than regular products.
As a set, with good photos, someone here may give you a $4-500 for them if they are in nice enough condition.

I'd hazard a guess that DALLCON stood for Dallas Convention.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:54 am 

A bargain is an understatement.

You got one of the insanely fortunate buys that happens about once a year here. $400 + worth of rare collectible modules for $20!!!!! That's the type of find we all fantasize about here. 8O

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:20 am 

I had a yellow Beastmaker Mountain that I traded to Egg of Coot (I am fairly sure it was Egg) about a year ago through Acaeum.

At the time I was confused because I was later told it didn't come with a yellow folder...but it was in nice condition and I always assumed it was either a misprint (mispackage?) or a rarity.

Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:28 am 

Kobold Hall is pretty rare.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:33 am 

Is Mayfair Games still around?
Who owns them now?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:07 am 

Center_Stage wrote:At the time I was confused because I was later told it didn't come with a yellow folder...but it was in nice condition and I always assumed it was either a misprint (mispackage?) or a rarity.

I don't think it was a misprint just a different print.  Nanorian, Fez and Beastmaker were sold for a much longer time than Kobold Hall and Blasted Lands and presumably in a much larger number as well.  The yellow folder does seem rarer than the red folder but not quite unique - I can recall 3 or 4 of them passing through Ebay.  BTW, yes it did go to Egg.

Is Mayfair Games still around? Who owns them now?

Mayfair is still very much around.  I just called them the other day to see if they still had any of their Role Aids bundles around.  Although you can still find the old sales page, the sets are now all gone.  As far as I know, they haven't been bought out by anyone - they are still just Mayfair.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:23 pm 

I have a strange request: Help me appreciate Nanorien Stones.

I own one. Mine has a somewhat beat-up & torn cover and it's missing the cardstock product list insert, so its collector value isn't particularly high for its kind, and I'm not sure whether I want it to take up space in my collection. I'm considering selling it purely to free up space for something with a higher sentimental or historical value.

But I've never really given Nanorien Stones a chance in terms of building sentimental/historical value with me.

There isn't a lot of information available about it online, so I'm looking for help appreciating the module.

Is it a collector piece purely due to its rarity? Does it have a particularly interesting historical context? Was it a widely praised module back in the day? Has anyone here run it and enjoyed it?

Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:52 pm 

Guy Fullerton wrote:Is it a collector piece purely due to its rarity? Does it have a particularly interesting historical context? Was it a widely praised module back in the day? Has anyone here run it and enjoyed it?

IMHO, I think the Role Aids tournaments command a higher price than maybe they should because the company went on to publish a lot of other role aids items.  Blasted Lands and Kobold Hall are the two that seem to have had a limited print run and command the higher prices.  Nanorien in excellent shape is probably $50 at best, in used shape more in the $25-$30 range.  I think the appeal is that a lot of people have bought and enjoyed the run of the mill $10 or less, mass produced Role Aids items so they know the line and want to complete their collection, etc.

For historical context, they were the first of the Role Aids line which produced 30? 40? 50? items so sure there is some historical context.

I have never run them or gone through them as a character and I don't think I have ever heard anyone say these are anything other than average in quality.  Overall, I don't think your bang for your buck is very good on a set of these.  If you were going to buy a set of old school modules for $400+ I would probably recommend the Islandia campaign modules or something else.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:00 pm 

As a case in point, no one listed any of the Role Aids in their Top 5 Non-TSR rares as either owning or wanted in the thread we had a little while back.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:04 pm 

. wrote:Is Mayfair Games still around?
Who owns them now?

Sure.
http://www.mayfairgames.com/

When they sold off their remaining D&D backstock a couple years ago, I picked mine up in person at their Skokie (Chicago) office.

They're at GenCon every year.

They do board and card games now (Settlers of Catan) - I give a solid recommendation on Pompeii and Domaine.  No RPG products since the old days.

PreviousNext