Damaged Goods
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:49 pm 

I have a couple of boxes of rpg items Ive been adding to the pile of flawed material, some are water damaged, stained, bent pages or heavy wear probaly about 200 booklets, not collector Quality. I Have listed smaller lots of these in the past ( some rather rare and htf items ) but they did not sell for much. Was wondering if this is strictly a hardcore collectors market or if there are still people out there who still just like to read, game and generaly abuse their gaming books.  :)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:35 am 

Afrika Corps wrote:I have a couple of boxes of rpg items Ive been adding to the pile of flawed material, some are water damaged, stained, bent pages or heavy wear probaly about 200 booklets, not collector Quality.

How serious is the water damage?  Water damage is just plain ugly, and many water-damaged items that I have bought have had milder problems.

I Have listed smaller lots of these in the past ( some rather rare and htf items ) but they did not sell for much. Was wondering if this is strictly a hardcore collectors market or if there are still people out there who still just like to read, game and generaly abuse their gaming books.  :)

You have answered your own question.  If I am going to use an RPG item, then I'm not going to pay an arm and a leg for it.  Similarly, if someone else has already used and abused it, then I won't pay more than a pittance for it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:36 am 

Now dont get me wrong, I still keep my mint items sealed tight minty in mylar bags and boards in my closet safe. But I still like to game hardcore with some of the rarer quality items if they are beat all to hell, I still use my first DMG for gaming sessions that looks like its been through three world wars, ran over by a tractor and used for target practice. I guess im a gamer first and collector second. I was just wondering if anyone out there actually game with the older items that are less then par in condition or if its strictly a collectors market of condition. Does anybody actually look for the older rare items to actually game with or is it all about collecting?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:21 am 

I agree with Afrika Corps. I dont have any items of collectability (I think) but I use my 1978 MM and hardback FF still from years ago. Other items I have picked up recently on eBay will all be used for gaming by myself and not stored away.

However, if I did have anything of worth of pick something up, then I would keep it safe thats for sure.  

What sort of items to you have and are they for sale then?

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:20 am 

ashmire13 wrote:I agree with Afrika Corps. I dont have any items of collectability (I think) but I use my 1978 MM and hardback FF still from years ago. Other items I have picked up recently on eBay will all be used for gaming by myself and not stored away.

However, if I did have anything of worth of pick something up, then I would keep it safe thats for sure.  

What sort of items to you have and are they for sale then?

i agree,

my stuff is varied. i have collector stuff which is in as nice a condition as i can get it and i have stuff i use which is, well, well used :) depends what i got it for in the first place really. if i get a 1st print for instance, its unlikely i will use it, no matter what the condition.

some ppl would get damaged items anyway, because simply they cant get near the nicer condition more rare items.

Al

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:22 pm 

That is completely hit or miss. Sometimes you can throw a large lot of mixed bag stuff and you get shocked by how high it goes. Then the next time you get one bid at $2.

But overall, I do see plenty of people buying fair to good condition books, so long as they feel they are getting a fair deal.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/