Monster Manual 1st Printing
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:28 pm 

Mars wrote:I think it shows up with 1st prints that were probably sold at the end of the run.

I was wondering why an errata sheet would be in a 1st print, but if they were inserted into later runs of the 1st print, that would make sense.

Let mirth prevail!

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:51 pm 

The errata sheet was with the MM when I received it.

Since it was not available at any local stores when it was released, I prevailed upon the kindness of an aunt of mine living in downtown Montreal.

She lived about three blocks from a game store and I had her pick it up and send it to me by bus (Voyageur to SMT). I picked it up as soon as it arrived and the there within the front cover was the errata sheet. I assumed that it had been placed there by TSR and not the game store, but the only other one that I have personally seen since then belonged to a friend who picked up their first edition MM in Halifax.

To be quite honest, with the amount of use that I got out of that book, I am rather surprised that I never lost the errata sheet, or used it for scrap paper.

JasonW

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:55 pm 

In the scan you posted, the errata sheet looks like a photocopy.  Is that the case?  If so, maybe TSR ran off a bunch, and stuck them into the back end stock of the 1st print run.

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:51 pm 

bombadil wrote:In the scan you posted, the errata sheet looks like a photocopy.  Is that the case?  If so, maybe TSR ran off a bunch, and stuck them into the back end stock of the 1st print run.

The sheet in the scan does look very photocopyesc.
My sheet does not look like a photocopy but more of a sheet that they would have had printed at a print shop (especially for the time).  It has period aging that you would expect too.

My copy was initially purchased from a store in Ottawa - Canadian thing?

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:01 pm 

I just pulled it out to have a close look at it.
The scan is bad, particularly around the edges.
Up close it does not look like a photocopy, like Mars says, it has more of a printed look to it.

Added: the weight of the paper is very similar to that used in the MM itself and it even has that slightly "glossy" texture that is lightly reflective when you angle it to the light.

JasonW

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Previous