Strange Printing Error with Dragon Issue #15
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:29 pm 

I am not at home, so I can't be exact, but this is the issue with the issue, so to speak:

It appears that the printer accidentally put together a repeat of a very good sized-chunk of the pages in the issue - so instead of having every page of the magazine, it has many pages repeated, so as you read it, it ends up very strange indeed...  it is essentially missing almost half of the pages because, though the page count is correct, instead of pages 1-90 or whatever, you just have pages 1-45 twice (I'm making those numbers up - I don't remember the exact page numbers)

I'm curious as to opinions about what a magazine like that with that error might be worth.  It is a rather blatent mess-up.  I was upset when I got it and discovered it, and ended up getting another copy of issue 15 that did not have that problem.  (I'm pretty sure it was 15, I can double check later)

"Hey, what was that puff of smoke?"

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:17 am 

<<I'm curious as to opinions about what a magazine like that with that error might be worth. It is a rather blatent mess-up. I was upset when I got it and discovered it, and ended up getting another copy of issue 15 that did not have that problem. (I'm pretty sure it was 15, I can double check later)>>

I personally find printing errors to be common enough in 1st edition products that there seems to be little value to them.  Unless there is a collector who specifically wants to collect printing error products, it is nothing more than a curiousity.   This is the first I have heard of a Dragon magazine having a significant printing error though.

Michael

The Dragon's Trove

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:52 am 

I wonder if it matters the magnitude of the error.  This one is about as big as they get - not just some 1st Edition smudge or misaligned page.  Btw, what are the common 1E material errors?  

Does anyone else out there have any errors in Dragons like I described?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:46 pm 

There is one problem with the type of error that is in your issue of the Dragon: it is an error in the assemblage of the magazine and not a printing error of the magazine. As an example, and I am not implying that you did this, anyone could just take two copies of any single issue of Dragon magazine, bend open the staples, and then recombine them to create two  magazines with the same assemblage error that your copy has. Consequently, it is impossible to authenticate and identify as to its rarity or value beyond whatever the standard amount for an issue #15 of Dragon magazine. Of course, not all magazines have the exact same placement of the staples; but it would not be exceedingly difficult to find issues that match.

Now if it were a hardbound book with the same error, then it is far more easy to check to see if the book had been rebound, etc.

PD

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 12:32 am 

If memory serves, isn't Dragon 15 the one with the Wormy backgammon game?  That board seems to be rather elusive IIRC.

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:07 am 

The magazine came that way (to me, that is).  Now, I don't know if someone could have put a magazine together that way before I got it, nor do I know what the point of doing so would be.  Looking at it, it looks crisp and the staple looks original - I'm not sure how they could have done it.   In any case, I wouldn't sell it.  I'm just curious if anyone else has seen anything similar.  

And there is also the wormy board in that squirly issue.  

My other #15, which isn't in as good a condition does not have the board, though it does have all of the proper pages.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 11:36 pm 

Howdy All,

I love error printings but they are pretty poor collectables, i.e., not many people are interested in collecting them. The major reasons why we collect items are nostalgia, information, or asthetics - that's right - a woodgrain set IS beautiful! There I said it...

If a printing error eliminates one of the above reasons for collecting an item then it likewise eliminates that many collectors.

My favorite misprint in my collection is a Fiend Folio bound upside down and backwards into a Deities and Demigods cover! The boys must of been sniffing too much ink that morning :P

Swords Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.