Dungeon Crawl Classics
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:41 pm 

It all depends what "collectable" (or "collectible") means. I think people on this board conflate "collectable" with present or future "scarcity". While scarcity will no doubt affect its collectability, I don't think its a necessary condition. [After all, there are a lot of scarce (and very expensive) D&D items that I would never pay money for unless it was for a very informed investment decision].

I don't think I care that there are zillions of these DCC modules in existence. I happen to like the modules, particularly the old school format and old school artwork. And for this reason they are collectable -- to me --and perhaps for many others.  Now, do I expect them to appreciate? Probably not, but that's a very different concern than deciding whether or not they should be collected.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:40 am 

I think you'll find that there are quite a lot of different people on this forum with completely different views on why they collect/purchase/trade/acquire the items or series etc that they do.

I'm a completist, and if I like a series, such as in the case of DCCs, I prefer to have the full set to read etc if I can. It's a character flaw and I'm working on it (but not too hard).

It's not for future appreciation, or because it's perceived to be scarce. If they appreciate, great. If it's scarce I'll be probably paying a lot more for it. In the end it won't be me cashing in on  the 'collection', but probably my kids might.

Other people 'collect' for their own reasons and I totally accept and support that.

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:38 am 

AdderMcOne wrote:I think you'll find that there are quite a lot of different people on this forum with completely different views on why they collect/purchase/trade/acquire the items or series etc that they do.

Absolutely - this discussion has been had before methinks, we have all sorts of collectors here.  For example, my small collection of ceramic D&D and Cthulhu coffee mugs is unlikely to turn into a sizeable retirement fund.  But, on the other hand, I am counting on my collection of silver anniversary box sets to provide a handsome second income in years to come  :wink:  :lol:

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Previous