Dungeon Crawl Classics
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:17 pm 

I liked Haunted Lighthouse, but it costs sh"tloads. But then it was Arneson who wrote it. I thought Mask of Death sucked. I'm just reading through Iron Crypt of the Heretics.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:05 pm 

My personal favorites are:

Crypt of the Devil Lich (which I played in at GenCon) and

35A  Hall of the Minotaur

Crypt of the Iron Heretics and Dungeon Interludes are also excellent.

Harley Stroh is one of my favorite authors from the series, which is why I chose to map out most of his modules with the Dundjinni programs.

FYI: If you do chose to run any of these modules, do yourself a favor and download the maps I made off of "Prester's Map and Chart Emporium" in the freebie section of the goodmangames.com website.    IMHO they were very helpful in speediing up the game and helping the players "get into" the module.

P.S.  If anyone eventually does put together a page w/ goodman games info, I would be happy to provide info on some of the "special" items I've been lucky enough to possess as the official "superfan"   :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:44 am 

Beyondthebreach wrote:Hi Everyone,

This is slightly off the topic in this thread, but here goes anyway.   :D   Can some of you Goodman Games fans give some recommendations on a few of the better modules?

Something like your own personal top 5 list or something.  You know, if a guy like me wanted to check some out, but didn't want to invest a lot of cash . . . what are some of the better mods he could pick up on the cheap?

Thanks!

I like the earlier modules.....#1-#8....more than some of the later ones, they seem pretty representative of the Dungeon Crawl Classics experience.  I enjoyed #28 Into the Wilds, which is sort of a lesser Keep on the Borderlands, and seems like a nice beginning adventure to start out a party.  I'm reading through The Adventure Begins right now, the hardback that has 20 first level adventures.  They are pretty hit and miss, but all seem to have a certain standard that they never go below....nothing really awful, in other words.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:57 am 

bclarkie wrote:

Brendon or KOP for that matter, here is a #8:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DUNGEON-CRAWL-CLASS ... e-Drow-D20 _W0QQitemZ280059163201QQihZ018QQcategoryZ44111QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Although I am not sure what print that it might be.

Thanks B  8)

Trying to fill the spot with a first print of them though.

The easiest way to tell between the earlier and latest re-prints is that the earlier (low numbered ones) have the white rectangle with the 'cowboy & lasso' picture on the cover.

The reprints have the 'triceratops'.

Please let me know if you find any more though :wink:

Jury's still out with me on which are my best 5. So far ICotH (12.5) + 12 the Blackguard's revenge would be 2 of my pick. I can just visualize the players in the frozen hills/mountains.

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:02 pm 

The DCC #14 cover with the wrong pages inside arrived yesterday.  I don't have the right Flash player here at work . . . but here's a link for the rest of you:

http://s134.photobucket.com/albums/q90/ ... 6_1714.flv

This is my second week of using a cell phone camera and my second day of using Photobucket, so I don't know how well it works.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:33 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:Can some of you Goodman Games fans give some recommendations on a few of the better modules?

Personal favorites: Mysterious Tower (#3) and Crypt of the Devil Lich (#13).  For just pure eye-candy, I'll also buy any other DCC with an Erol Otus cover, even if the actual adventure is uneven.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:50 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:For just pure eye-candy, I'll also buy any other DCC with an Erol Otus cover, even if the actual adventure is uneven.

That was my strategy early on.  Just buy anything with an Otus cover.  I love them!   :D

Let mirth prevail!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:08 pm 

The true third printing for DCC #1 just went for $88.34.

Here's the ebay link:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:00 pm 

benwax wrote:The true third printing for DCC #1 just went for $88.34.

Here's the ebay link:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

What a great acquisition at that price.  Congrats, Brendon!

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:20 am 

Thanks Stephen,

Gus' list prompted me to go back through my DCCs and I realized I didn't have this one  :oops:

Thought one wouldn't come up for a while, so....

The price was just a little bit lower than I thought, so quite happy  :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:41 pm 

It all depends what "collectable" (or "collectible") means. I think people on this board conflate "collectable" with present or future "scarcity". While scarcity will no doubt affect its collectability, I don't think its a necessary condition. [After all, there are a lot of scarce (and very expensive) D&D items that I would never pay money for unless it was for a very informed investment decision].

I don't think I care that there are zillions of these DCC modules in existence. I happen to like the modules, particularly the old school format and old school artwork. And for this reason they are collectable -- to me --and perhaps for many others.  Now, do I expect them to appreciate? Probably not, but that's a very different concern than deciding whether or not they should be collected.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:40 am 

I think you'll find that there are quite a lot of different people on this forum with completely different views on why they collect/purchase/trade/acquire the items or series etc that they do.

I'm a completist, and if I like a series, such as in the case of DCCs, I prefer to have the full set to read etc if I can. It's a character flaw and I'm working on it (but not too hard).

It's not for future appreciation, or because it's perceived to be scarce. If they appreciate, great. If it's scarce I'll be probably paying a lot more for it. In the end it won't be me cashing in on  the 'collection', but probably my kids might.

Other people 'collect' for their own reasons and I totally accept and support that.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:38 am 

AdderMcOne wrote:I think you'll find that there are quite a lot of different people on this forum with completely different views on why they collect/purchase/trade/acquire the items or series etc that they do.

Absolutely - this discussion has been had before methinks, we have all sorts of collectors here.  For example, my small collection of ceramic D&D and Cthulhu coffee mugs is unlikely to turn into a sizeable retirement fund.  But, on the other hand, I am counting on my collection of silver anniversary box sets to provide a handsome second income in years to come  :wink:  :lol:

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

PreviousNext