Dungeon Crawl Classics
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 51, 2, 3, 4, 5
Author


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3793
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 17, 2021

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:13 am 
 

Weird.  Never heard of that one before.  How would you explain that sort of mix up?


Let mirth prevail!

  

User avatar

Sage Collector

Posts: 2332
Joined: Feb 20, 2006
Last Visit: Aug 27, 2017
Location: Shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:56 am 
 

bombadil wrote:Weird.  Never heard of that one before.  How would you explain that sort of mix up?

Goodman Games modules can't have that large of a print run, so their smallish job must have gotten mixed in with a similar-looking print job that was done at the same time.

Either that, or a gamer got bored and decided to make this "misprint" as a prank.

  


Active Collector

Posts: 31
Joined: Jul 25, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 10, 2013

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:36 pm 
 

Hello all, quick question.

I just won/earned a special DCC product.  Was curious about members thought on worth and appreciation.  Here is the official description from Joe Goodman himself:

"A copy of the real third printing of DCC #1: Idylls of the Rat King, the one featuring a misprint. Only 50 copies were not destroyed, and many of them were given to Goodman Games employees, DMs, and volunteers at Gen Con 2006 as a thank-you for their help. Due to unforeseen circumstances, one person didn't make the con, so I have his copy left over. "

Appreciate any thoughts, especially those who have seen this type of thing in earlier D&D modules.

Ben "superfan" Waxman

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7942
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 19, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:59 pm 
 

benwax wrote:Hello all, quick question.

I just won/earned a special DCC product.  Was curious about members thought on worth and appreciation.  Here is the official description from Joe Goodman himself:

"A copy of the real third printing of DCC #1: Idylls of the Rat King, the one featuring a misprint. Only 50 copies were not destroyed, and many of them were given to Goodman Games employees, DMs, and volunteers at Gen Con 2006 as a thank-you for their help. Due to unforeseen circumstances, one person didn't make the con, so I have his copy left over. "

Appreciate any thoughts, especially those who have seen this type of thing in earlier D&D modules.

Ben "superfan" Waxman


Be interesting to know what the misprint is...some misprints are much more intriguing than others!

Mike B.


"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

 WWW  


Active Collector

Posts: 31
Joined: Jul 25, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 10, 2013

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:11 pm 
 

Hey Mike B,

It turns out the "misprint" is less of a misprint than an error in the cutting of the cover.  The map on the inside cover is partially cut off, with the map key cut in half.  The cover remains normal looking.  Probably would have missed it if not for the letter of authenticity and explanation that came with the module.

Ben "superfan" Waxman

  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 656
Joined: Apr 12, 2004
Last Visit: Nov 28, 2020
Location: Perth, Australia

Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:29 am 
 

Is that a 'win' from the special Christmas offer?


"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 529
Joined: Feb 25, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 08, 2021
Location: Lille, France.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:53 am 
 

AdderMcOne wrote:Is that a 'win' from the special Christmas offer?


That's right.
And the DCC 17.5 you have won on ebay was from the author himself.
There is a forum on goodmanGames.com

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6165
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 19, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:30 pm 
 

Plaag wrote:So far they have no plans on doing a reprint for 3.5, 17.5, 20.5

ShaneG.

These yellow border 12.5 reprints. Are they likely to hold their value? If your local games store still had yellow borders on their shelves at $10.95, would you buy them up?

Anyone care to give a current estimate on the value 17.5?


This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

 WWW  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 4475
Joined: Nov 08, 2002
Last Visit: Jan 19, 2021
Location: Land of 10,000 ponds

Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:25 pm 
 

mbassoc2003 wrote:These yellow border 12.5 reprints. Are they likely to hold their value? If your local games store still had yellow borders on their shelves at $10.95, would you buy them up?

Anyone care to give a current estimate on the value 17.5?


$60-80

ShaneG.


I reject your reality and substitute my own

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7942
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 19, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:10 pm 
 

mbassoc2003 wrote:These yellow border 12.5 reprints. Are they likely to hold their value? If your local games store still had yellow borders on their shelves at $10.95, would you buy them up?

Anyone care to give a current estimate on the value 17.5?


I believe so.  I would buy as many as I could at $10.95 given the opportunity.  In a year or so (or less) they will be as highly sought after as the other special editions....there were only a few hundred printed anyway.

I agree with Shane on the price for 17.5. I have one in my store at $100, but it's more there as a price gauge than anything ( I plan to lower the price a bit every month or so until it sells).

Mike B.


"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6165
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 19, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:04 pm 
 

So is 17.5 worth reletively less than the other three on account of it not being 1E?
I'm reconning 3.5 is about $250, 20.5 is about $150, 12.5 is about $80-100 and 17.5 is about $60-80.

Is 17.5 really worth getting. I ignore d20 as a rule, but I may have to review that policy. Is it worth picking up for $100?


This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

 WWW  

User avatar

Verbose Collector

Posts: 1107
Joined: Dec 04, 2005
Last Visit: Mar 15, 2016

Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:22 pm 
 

I'm reconning 3.5 is about $250, 20.5 is about $150, 12.5 is about $80-100 and 17.5 is about $60-80.
- 20.5 $50-70. or $49.99. ;)

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7942
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 19, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:08 pm 
 

mbassoc2003 wrote:So is 17.5 worth reletively less than the other three on account of it not being 1E?
I'm reconning 3.5 is about $250, 20.5 is about $150, 12.5 is about $80-100 and 17.5 is about $60-80.

Is 17.5 really worth getting. I ignore d20 as a rule, but I may have to review that policy. Is it worth picking up for $100?


Personally I think 17.5 is more rare than 12.5 (due to the fact it sort of came and went without much pub, unlike the others), but we all know sometimes rarity doesn't have everything to do with worth.
   Is it worth getting?  Well of course I have my own biased view....but I'd say it depends on your reason.  For investment purposes, no, because it's not going to go up enough over $100 to make it worth your time for resale, unless you are willing to hold onto it for awhile (several years?).  I could be way off and people could be shelling out $200 next year for this.  If you are a completist and collector, I guess it depends on how bad you want it.  Personally, I think if you troll Ebay for awhile you might eventually pick up one at a deal, say $50 or less, as the DCC seem to ocassionally slip through the cracks.  In game terms, it's nothing spectacular, a typical module, nothing to really set it apart one way or another.  

Mike B.


"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 339
Joined: Sep 09, 2006
Last Visit: Mar 26, 2017
Location: 8000 feet below the summit of Pikes Peak, Colorado

Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:05 am 
 

Badmike wrote:
 

Gus, I'm so stupid, I passed up ALL the supermodules (A1-4, T1-4, B1-9, GDQ1-7, S1-4) when they came out, cause I had the originals, so why buy the compilations????

Mike B .


I think a lot of us did that and paid the price for it later.


Given some of the comments about the supermodules, both here and other places, I probably would've agreed with Gus at first--especially with A1-4 and even T1-4.

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6165
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 19, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:35 am 
 

Well, I'll leave off DCC17.5 ATM 'cos it's d20. The others are all 1E aren't they? Or was 12.5 the only 1E module? On that basis I believe DCC3.5 and DCC12.5 will hold value. The first on account of its author and the second on account of it being award winning. Goodman Games can screw it all up by reprinting another 1000 copies when it needs the cash. ATM thats a $275 gamble I'm willing to take, but I'm verry aware that I might end up sitting on dead stock. There is more investment security in pre-1990 D&D, but then you have to take opportunities when they present themselves.


This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 288
Joined: Feb 20, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 10, 2021
Location: Green Bay, WI

Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:19 am 
 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Well, I'll leave off DCC17.5 ATM 'cos it's d20. The others are all 1E aren't they? Or was 12.5 the only 1E module?

12.5 was the only one done for 1st ed.  EVERY other DCC is 3rd edition.

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 288
Joined: Feb 20, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 10, 2021
Location: Green Bay, WI

Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:39 am 
 

Rakeesh sah Tarna wrote:I'm reconning 3.5 is about $250, 20.5 is about $150, 12.5 is about $80-100 and 17.5 is about $60-80.
- 20.5 $50-70.

I will second all of these prices.  Pretty much what I come up with from my experience & research.  :)

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 288
Joined: Feb 20, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 10, 2021
Location: Green Bay, WI

Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:41 am 
 

benwax wrote:Hey Mike B,

It turns out the "misprint" is less of a misprint than an error in the cutting of the cover.  The map on the inside cover is partially cut off, with the map key cut in half.  The cover remains normal looking.  Probably would have missed it if not for the letter of authenticity and explanation that came with the module.

Ben "superfan" Waxman

Well, since I am one of the handful of 'DCC completists', I figure my opinion should count for something here.  8)
I would say that what you have won't be worth anything.  If it was something like the Orange B3, where there was objectionable material and it was recalled & destroyed, then heck yeah!  But printing errors happen all the time, and I don't consider this any sort of 'variant' printing.
Just my 0.02

 WWW  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 4745
Joined: Oct 31, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 18, 2021
Location: Garland, TX

Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:29 am 
 

Rakeesh sah Tarna wrote:I'm reconning 3.5 is about $250, 20.5 is about $150, 12.5 is about $80-100 and 17.5 is about $60-80.
- 20.5 $50-70. or $49.99. ;)


Does anyone have any idea what the total print runs for these were.  If I am not mistaken there were only 60 originally made for 12.5 1st ed., but then there was a second printing of how many?  I have looked some on Goodman Games website but wasnt able to find this info.

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 288
Joined: Feb 20, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 10, 2021
Location: Green Bay, WI

Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:07 am 
 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Does anyone have any idea what the total print runs for these were.  If I am not mistaken there were only 60 originally made for 12.5 1st ed., but then there was a second printing of how many?  I have looked some on Goodman Games website but wasnt able to find this info.

Not only was that info not posted, I believe Goodman's intentions are to not make that info known.

 WWW  
PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 51, 2, 3, 4, 5