Dungeon Crawl Classics
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 51, 2, 3, 4, 5
Author


Collector

Posts: 3
Joined: Aug 17, 2006
Last Visit: Sep 20, 2006

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:16 pm 
 

Dear Community,

My apologies if this has already been addressed....no luck using the search function.

I have been collecting the Dungeon Crawl Classics in addition to 1E modules, and have been wondering about value.  I understand that the rare convention issues have been well valued, but I've never seen valuations of the 1st edition DCC 1, 2, 3 (now that we are into 3rd printings, and the series is into the 30's).

Thoughts???  Appreciate your help!
Ben "superfan" Waxman

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 288
Joined: Feb 20, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 15, 2021
Location: Green Bay, WI

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:24 am 
 

While it is fairly rare to see the first printings of the first few modules up for sale, I have never seen them sell for more than 'cover price'.  I think there are so few of us DCC nuts that there just isn't a market for the D&D 3.0 stuff (as opposed to D&D 3.5, the newer printings of the modules).  

Very few people consider anything 'd20' to be collectible.  Some of the few exceptions to that seem to be the limited edition convention DCC modules.

As far as I know, Ben & I are the only two in the planet that care about DCC printings.  :D

 WWW  

User avatar

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 529
Joined: Feb 25, 2005
Last Visit: Apr 15, 2021
Location: Lille, France.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:43 am 
 

Gus Landt wrote:While it is fairly rare to see the first printings of the first few modules up for sale, I have never seen them sell for more than 'cover price'.  I think there are so few of us DCC nuts that there just isn't a market for the D&D 3.0 stuff (as opposed to D&D 3.5, the newer printings of the modules).  

Very few people consider anything 'd20' to be collectible.  Some of the few exceptions to that seem to be the limited edition convention DCC modules.

As far as I know, Ben & I are the only two in the planet that care about DCC printings.  :D


How can you identify first printing from other???

I know the have changed their logo from 'Rodeo Triceratops' to 'Black and white Triceratops head' and then to 'Triceratops head', but I don't find any information about the printing. But maybe I have only got late printings.

If there are earlier versions of these modules, maybe I would become the third people of your group...  :wink:

Anyway, I have never seen them sell for more than cover price, as Gus have said.
And these are great modules, very clever, don't think it is only Dungeon Crawl.

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 529
Joined: Feb 25, 2005
Last Visit: Apr 15, 2021
Location: Lille, France.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:06 am 
 

And by chance, do you have exemplaries of the DCC#7 "The Secret of the smuggler's cove" ?
I am looking for one but it is hard to find!

Thx.

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 288
Joined: Feb 20, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 15, 2021
Location: Green Bay, WI

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:53 am 
 

le Rahib wrote:How can you identify first printing from other???

The first 2 modules are easy to ID, because each printing has a different cover.  :D

For the 3rd & 4th modules, the ONLY difference in printing is a single added sentence (2 words really) to the 'legalese' on the final page.  "second printing." is at the very end.  :lol:

Here is a comprehensive list of the printing differences for collectors:
http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=776&sid=dea3c68115ba4fc75f2e1b179a05f4ac

 WWW  


Collector

Posts: 3
Joined: Aug 17, 2006
Last Visit: Sep 20, 2006

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:39 pm 
 

Quite gratifying to see that others are crazy for this series too.  Wonder if my "bookmark of doom" from 2 years ago, or my signed modules and tournament swag will ever be worth anything.  Heck, I even have a signed 1st place trophy from this year's tourney.  Never sell that though!!!

Ben "superfan" Waxman

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7949
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Apr 15, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:07 pm 
 

benwax1 wrote:Dear Community,

My apologies if this has already been addressed....no luck using the search function.

I have been collecting the Dungeon Crawl Classics in addition to 1E modules, and have been wondering about value.  I understand that the rare convention issues have been well valued, but I've never seen valuations of the 1st edition DCC 1, 2, 3 (now that we are into 3rd printings, and the series is into the 30's).

Thoughts???  Appreciate your help!
Ben "superfan" Waxman


As long as they continue reprinting them, I don't think the value will rise too much on the regular stuff.  The limited edition items (Haunted Lighthouse, Mask of Doom, etc) should rise in value as long as they aren't eventually reprinted also, or offered as pdfs.  
  For future stuff that may go up in value, I notice the Dungeon Geomorphs had gone out of print.  I bet this is one they may not reprint...pick this up if you see it around. Also, the more expensive supplements (upcoming boxed set, the large book with 1st level adventures I thinkit's DCC #29) might be hard to find in the future if they didn't print as many copies as a cheaper item thinking they might not sell as many.

Mike B.


"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

 WWW  

User avatar

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 529
Joined: Feb 25, 2005
Last Visit: Apr 15, 2021
Location: Lille, France.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:44 pm 
 

Gus Landt wrote:The first 2 modules are easy to ID, because each printing has a different cover.  :D

For the 3rd & 4th modules, the ONLY difference in printing is a single added sentence (2 words really) to the 'legalese' on the final page.  "second printing." is at the very end.  :lol:


Here is a comprehensive list of the printing differences for collectors:
http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=776&sid=dea3c68115ba4fc75f2e1b179a05f4ac


Thank you very much Gus, very interesting link, now i am aware... !

(...aware like JC Vandamne, but it is a french private joke I think... :roll: )

And welcome Ben Superfan!

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7949
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Apr 15, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:50 pm 
 

Badmike wrote:
As long as they continue reprinting them, I don't think the value will rise too much on the regular stuff.  The limited edition items (Haunted Lighthouse, Mask of Doom, etc) should rise in value as long as they aren't eventually reprinted also, or offered as pdfs.  
  For future stuff that may go up in value, I notice the Dungeon Geomorphs had gone out of print.  I bet this is one they may not reprint...pick this up if you see it around. Also, the more expensive supplements (upcoming boxed set, the large book with 1st level adventures I thinkit's DCC #29) might be hard to find in the future if they didn't print as many copies as a cheaper item thinking they might not sell as many.

Mike B.



.....And I was right!!!

DCC #9: Dungeon Geomorphs: Only one printing, which sold out. We have no plans to reprint this title.


I'm going to speculate here:  pick this one up if you find it.  As the ONLY regular release so far not to be reprinted, I am going to predict it's going to slowly go up in value as collectors want to complete their sets and get EVERY one of the DCC.  I saw one the other day at a game store I'm going to pick up tomorrow....!
    BTW, I think the 2nd print of DCC #2 just sold out, I notice they don't offer a copy on the Goodman website...

Mike B.


"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

 WWW  

User avatar

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2454
Joined: Nov 06, 2002
Last Visit: Apr 17, 2021
Location: Queensland, Australia

Post Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:39 am 
 

Always meaning to pick these up at some stage since I have heard a couple of good things about them.. looks like some were done for 3 then reprinted in 3.5.. anyone know which one were done this way.. any differences?

Brette:)

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 288
Joined: Feb 20, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 15, 2021
Location: Green Bay, WI

Post Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:53 am 
 

Only the first printings of DCC #1 & #2 where for D&D 3.0.  Everything else is 3.5  :)

 WWW  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1253
Joined: Jan 01, 2003
Last Visit: Apr 12, 2021

Post Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:58 am 
 

Gus Landt wrote:Only the first printings of DCC #1 & #2 where for D&D 3.0.  Everything else is 3.5  :)


Is the difference really that great between 3.0 and 3.5 editions and these reconfigured modules?

  

User avatar

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2454
Joined: Nov 06, 2002
Last Visit: Apr 17, 2021
Location: Queensland, Australia

Post Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:07 am 
 

VermilionFire wrote:
Is the difference really that great between 3.0 and 3.5 editions and these reconfigured modules?


Hmm.. well there looks to be a 3.0 and a 3.5 version of #5 (just had a look on aarons site) the 3.0 version has the old Goodman Games logo on it and the stock no for #5 for 3.5 has an 'R' at the end of it...

Brette:)

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7949
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Apr 15, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:53 am 
 

Gus Landt wrote:Only the first printings of DCC #1 & #2 where for D&D 3.0.  Everything else is 3.5  :)


Gus, I think quite a few of the DCC were for 3.0.  At least the first 10 or so.

Mike B.


"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

 WWW  

User avatar

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 529
Joined: Feb 25, 2005
Last Visit: Apr 15, 2021
Location: Lille, France.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:12 am 
 

beasterbrook wrote:
Hmm.. well there looks to be a 3.0 and a 3.5 version of #5 (just had a look on aarons site) the 3.0 version has the old Goodman Games logo on it and the stock no for #5 for 3.5 has an 'R' at the end of it...

Brette:)


The major difference between DCC #5 first and second print is that the second one is an expanded version including the sequel adventure 'Seed of Evil' (48 => 64 pages)... it is not a question of version.
I think the 2 versions of DCC #5 are for v. 3.5. Mine is 48 pages and for v 3.5.


BTW : Brette, nice pick on 'Endless Abyss' yesterday!  :P

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 529
Joined: Feb 25, 2005
Last Visit: Apr 15, 2021
Location: Lille, France.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:18 am 
 

Badmike wrote:
Gus, I think quite a few of the DCC were for 3.0.  At least the first 10 or so.

Mike B.


I am not sure Mike, if GGames forum is right, I have got a 1st printing of DCC#4 and it is already updated for v. 3.5.
So I am with Gus, for me only the two first modules were for DD 3.0.

In the back of the module, you can see if 'this product utilizes updated material from the v.3.5. revision'

  

User avatar

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2454
Joined: Nov 06, 2002
Last Visit: Apr 17, 2021
Location: Queensland, Australia

Post Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:15 am 
 

le Rahib wrote:
The major difference between DCC #5 first and second print is that the second one is an expanded version including the sequel adventure 'Seed of Evil' (48 => 64 pages)... it is not a question of version.
I think the 2 versions of DCC #5 are for v. 3.5. Mine is 48 pages and for v 3.5.


BTW : Brette, nice pick on 'Endless Abyss' yesterday!  :P


I really going to have to get these now...


I was wondering if anyone saw that;)

Brette:)

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7949
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Apr 15, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:16 am 
 

le Rahib wrote:
I am not sure Mike, if GGames forum is right, I have got a 1st printing of DCC#4 and it is already updated for v. 3.5.
So I am with Gus, for me only the two first modules were for DD 3.0.

In the back of the module, you can see if 'this product utilizes updated material from the v.3.5. revision'


I guess I stand corrected...my DCC collection is out of sight right now and I can't check. Odd how the mind plays tricks like that, I swore the first one I ever picked up (#5) was 3.0 but I guess not.

Mike B.


"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

 WWW  


Collector

Posts: 2
Joined: Sep 07, 2006
Last Visit: Mar 20, 2007

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:28 pm 
 

I've recently picked up some of the Dungeon Crawl Classics, and have enjoyed reading them. I've looked on ebay to get some of the early ones. First editions of #1 through #10 don't seem to come up for auction all that often. Was the print run of these really low, or is it just a case of people holding on to them, till there is a greater collecting demand for them?

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 558
Joined: Sep 02, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 13, 2021
Location: Cape Cod

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:42 pm 
 

In the winter/spring  they were not to hard to find. I got  1 to 14 ( not including #3.5 ) for a buddy with relative ease. I think the sudden interest ( i.e. posted here = hot collectible :) ) has maybe dried up some supplies but if you search you can find them. There are still a couple online stores that have some of the older #'s.

  
Next
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 51, 2, 3, 4, 5