Dungeon Crawl Classics
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:16 pm 

Dear Community,

My apologies if this has already been addressed....no luck using the search function.

I have been collecting the Dungeon Crawl Classics in addition to 1E modules, and have been wondering about value.  I understand that the rare convention issues have been well valued, but I've never seen valuations of the 1st edition DCC 1, 2, 3 (now that we are into 3rd printings, and the series is into the 30's).

Thoughts???  Appreciate your help!
Ben "superfan" Waxman

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:24 am 

While it is fairly rare to see the first printings of the first few modules up for sale, I have never seen them sell for more than 'cover price'.  I think there are so few of us DCC nuts that there just isn't a market for the D&D 3.0 stuff (as opposed to D&D 3.5, the newer printings of the modules).  

Very few people consider anything 'd20' to be collectible.  Some of the few exceptions to that seem to be the limited edition convention DCC modules.

As far as I know, Ben & I are the only two in the planet that care about DCC printings.  :D

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:43 am 

Gus Landt wrote:While it is fairly rare to see the first printings of the first few modules up for sale, I have never seen them sell for more than 'cover price'.  I think there are so few of us DCC nuts that there just isn't a market for the D&D 3.0 stuff (as opposed to D&D 3.5, the newer printings of the modules).  

Very few people consider anything 'd20' to be collectible.  Some of the few exceptions to that seem to be the limited edition convention DCC modules.

As far as I know, Ben & I are the only two in the planet that care about DCC printings.  :D

How can you identify first printing from other???

I know the have changed their logo from 'Rodeo Triceratops' to 'Black and white Triceratops head' and then to 'Triceratops head', but I don't find any information about the printing. But maybe I have only got late printings.

If there are earlier versions of these modules, maybe I would become the third people of your group...  :wink:

Anyway, I have never seen them sell for more than cover price, as Gus have said.
And these are great modules, very clever, don't think it is only Dungeon Crawl.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:06 am 

And by chance, do you have exemplaries of the DCC#7 "The Secret of the smuggler's cove" ?
I am looking for one but it is hard to find!

Thx.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:53 am 

le Rahib wrote:How can you identify first printing from other???

The first 2 modules are easy to ID, because each printing has a different cover.  :D

For the 3rd & 4th modules, the ONLY difference in printing is a single added sentence (2 words really) to the 'legalese' on the final page.  "second printing." is at the very end.  :lol:

Here is a comprehensive list of the printing differences for collectors:
http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=776&sid=dea3c68115ba4fc75f2e1b179a05f4ac

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:39 pm 

Quite gratifying to see that others are crazy for this series too.  Wonder if my "bookmark of doom" from 2 years ago, or my signed modules and tournament swag will ever be worth anything.  Heck, I even have a signed 1st place trophy from this year's tourney.  Never sell that though!!!

Ben "superfan" Waxman

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:07 pm 

benwax1 wrote:Dear Community,

My apologies if this has already been addressed....no luck using the search function.

I have been collecting the Dungeon Crawl Classics in addition to 1E modules, and have been wondering about value.  I understand that the rare convention issues have been well valued, but I've never seen valuations of the 1st edition DCC 1, 2, 3 (now that we are into 3rd printings, and the series is into the 30's).

Thoughts???  Appreciate your help!
Ben "superfan" Waxman

As long as they continue reprinting them, I don't think the value will rise too much on the regular stuff.  The limited edition items (Haunted Lighthouse, Mask of Doom, etc) should rise in value as long as they aren't eventually reprinted also, or offered as pdfs.  
  For future stuff that may go up in value, I notice the Dungeon Geomorphs had gone out of print.  I bet this is one they may not reprint...pick this up if you see it around. Also, the more expensive supplements (upcoming boxed set, the large book with 1st level adventures I thinkit's DCC #29) might be hard to find in the future if they didn't print as many copies as a cheaper item thinking they might not sell as many.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:44 pm 

Gus Landt wrote:The first 2 modules are easy to ID, because each printing has a different cover.  :D

For the 3rd & 4th modules, the ONLY difference in printing is a single added sentence (2 words really) to the 'legalese' on the final page.  "second printing." is at the very end.  :lol:

Here is a comprehensive list of the printing differences for collectors:
http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=776&sid=dea3c68115ba4fc75f2e1b179a05f4ac

Thank you very much Gus, very interesting link, now i am aware... !

(...aware like JC Vandamne, but it is a french private joke I think... :roll: )

And welcome Ben Superfan!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:50 pm 

Badmike wrote:
As long as they continue reprinting them, I don't think the value will rise too much on the regular stuff.  The limited edition items (Haunted Lighthouse, Mask of Doom, etc) should rise in value as long as they aren't eventually reprinted also, or offered as pdfs.  
  For future stuff that may go up in value, I notice the Dungeon Geomorphs had gone out of print.  I bet this is one they may not reprint...pick this up if you see it around. Also, the more expensive supplements (upcoming boxed set, the large book with 1st level adventures I thinkit's DCC #29) might be hard to find in the future if they didn't print as many copies as a cheaper item thinking they might not sell as many.

Mike B.

.....And I was right!!!

DCC #9: Dungeon Geomorphs: Only one printing, which sold out. We have no plans to reprint this title.

I'm going to speculate here:  pick this one up if you find it.  As the ONLY regular release so far not to be reprinted, I am going to predict it's going to slowly go up in value as collectors want to complete their sets and get EVERY one of the DCC.  I saw one the other day at a game store I'm going to pick up tomorrow....!
    BTW, I think the 2nd print of DCC #2 just sold out, I notice they don't offer a copy on the Goodman website...

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:39 am 

Always meaning to pick these up at some stage since I have heard a couple of good things about them.. looks like some were done for 3 then reprinted in 3.5.. anyone know which one were done this way.. any differences?

Brette:)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:53 am 

Only the first printings of DCC #1 & #2 where for D&D 3.0.  Everything else is 3.5  :)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:58 am 

Gus Landt wrote:Only the first printings of DCC #1 & #2 where for D&D 3.0.  Everything else is 3.5  :)

Is the difference really that great between 3.0 and 3.5 editions and these reconfigured modules?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:07 am 

VermilionFire wrote:
Is the difference really that great between 3.0 and 3.5 editions and these reconfigured modules?

Hmm.. well there looks to be a 3.0 and a 3.5 version of #5 (just had a look on aarons site) the 3.0 version has the old Goodman Games logo on it and the stock no for #5 for 3.5 has an 'R' at the end of it...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:53 am 

Gus Landt wrote:Only the first printings of DCC #1 & #2 where for D&D 3.0.  Everything else is 3.5  :)

Gus, I think quite a few of the DCC were for 3.0.  At least the first 10 or so.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:12 am 

beasterbrook wrote:
Hmm.. well there looks to be a 3.0 and a 3.5 version of #5 (just had a look on aarons site) the 3.0 version has the old Goodman Games logo on it and the stock no for #5 for 3.5 has an 'R' at the end of it...

The major difference between DCC #5 first and second print is that the second one is an expanded version including the sequel adventure 'Seed of Evil' (48 => 64 pages)... it is not a question of version.
I think the 2 versions of DCC #5 are for v. 3.5. Mine is 48 pages and for v 3.5.

BTW : Brette, nice pick on 'Endless Abyss' yesterday!  :P

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:18 am 

Badmike wrote:
Gus, I think quite a few of the DCC were for 3.0.  At least the first 10 or so.

Mike B.

I am not sure Mike, if GGames forum is right, I have got a 1st printing of DCC#4 and it is already updated for v. 3.5.
So I am with Gus, for me only the two first modules were for DD 3.0.

In the back of the module, you can see if 'this product utilizes updated material from the v.3.5. revision'

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:15 am 

le Rahib wrote:
The major difference between DCC #5 first and second print is that the second one is an expanded version including the sequel adventure 'Seed of Evil' (48 => 64 pages)... it is not a question of version.
I think the 2 versions of DCC #5 are for v. 3.5. Mine is 48 pages and for v 3.5.

BTW : Brette, nice pick on 'Endless Abyss' yesterday!  :P

I really going to have to get these now...

I was wondering if anyone saw that;)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:16 am 

le Rahib wrote:
I am not sure Mike, if GGames forum is right, I have got a 1st printing of DCC#4 and it is already updated for v. 3.5.
So I am with Gus, for me only the two first modules were for DD 3.0.

In the back of the module, you can see if 'this product utilizes updated material from the v.3.5. revision'

I guess I stand corrected...my DCC collection is out of sight right now and I can't check. Odd how the mind plays tricks like that, I swore the first one I ever picked up (#5) was 3.0 but I guess not.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Next