Living City Tournaments
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:04 pm 

Hey all I am looking for some help. I was planning on putting this in the Recent Fun Finds thread, but I just did not realize just how "fun" this ended up being.  I just recently won this auction:

** expired eBay auction **

In this auction there was listed several items including 2 3-round RPGA Tourneys.  In addition, there was also a bunch of freebie modules that the seller was just giving away.  Because I ened up winning this auction, he ended up giving them to me. What this all ended up being was a bunch of 1, 2 and 3 round RPGA Living City Tournament modules.  There are over 40 in all.  Here is where I need help.  Some of these items are clearly original i.e The Seven More Parts modules(which is three rounds) as well as the Finger of the Wind modules(which happenes to actually be 7 rounds 8O ), because they are all double sided and staple bound. They just look and feel original.  A few of these modules are on single sheet double sided parchement paper.  I am pretty sure that these are also originals.  Now the problem that I am having is that the remainder of them (about 35 of them) are on single sided plain white sheets.  Some of the pages are obviously photocopies others I am not so sure.  Regardless of whether or not they are photocopies they still may actually be originals.   I would also like to note that all of these tournamnet modules except for the 2 stapled bound 3 round tourneys are all three whole punched in the exact same places(including the parchment sheeted ones).  This could have been done by the seller or it could have been done by the RPGA staff prior to distribution for the tournament.  Anyone have any insight on how I can authenticate them?

I have an email into the seller questioning where he got all these and how he obtained them.  I also Googled his name and found out that he actually placed in the 2005 GenCon Open Tournament, so he was clearly a player who has played in Tournaments.  

Thoughts and Help PLEASE!!  :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:16 pm 

DAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bloody hell.... 8O  8O  8O  8O

Now thats a win, and thats the problem with Tourneys like that.. since they are newish (ie 2000) I'd suspect that they have been printed on the a computer laser jet or maybe photocopied from a laser jet, so there is no way to authenticate them, just like printing a pdf file.. they are all the same... more than likely they are the 'origionals' and not photocopied ones from the'origionals' but in th end there would be no difference in my mind.. the hole punched would have been done later for storage reasons I'm thinking, no one hole punches different adventures that have obviously been done over a long period of time all the same, they will only tend to do this when storing them. ..

hmm.. worth.. well more than you paid for em thats for sure! but because of their "Newness" I would wonder if these exist as a pdf file somewere..

Let me know if you get rid of em.. :wink:

Brette:)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:22 pm 

beasterbrook wrote:DAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bloody hell.... 8O  8O  8O  8O

Now thats a win, and thats the problem with Tourneys like that.. since they are newish (ie 2000) I'd suspect that they have been printed on the a computer laser jet or maybe photocopied from a laser jet, so there is no way to authenticate them, just like printing a pdf file.. they are all the same... more than likely they are the 'origionals' and not photocopied ones from the'origionals' but in th end there would be no difference in my mind.. the hole punched would have been done later for storage reasons I'm thinking, no one hole punches different adventures that have obviously been done over a long period of time all the same, they will only tend to do this when storing them. ..

hmm.. worth.. well more than you paid for em thats for sure! but because of their "Newness" I would wonder if these exist as a pdf file somewere..

Let me know if you get rid of em.. :wink:

Thanks Brette. The good news is too that  all but one of them are from 1999 and before(back to 1992) All, of them are also written for the 2nd edition rules set with the exception of Finger of the Wind which is written for 3rd ed.  One weird thing that I did notice is that the Seven More Parts Tournament says its for 2000, but it indicates 1996 on the bottom of the cover page for copyright purposes. Its the only one that like that, all the others have the copyright date and tournament year the same. Intersting. :)

BTW, I checked all over the place to see if these tourney were downloadable and none of the ones that looked for were.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:40 pm 

Most of the tourneys aren't available to the public as such, so you generally won't find them for download of the net, however, as with this person, some are kept by organisers or others, I believe that some were emailed to organisers as well (I seem to remember that happening in Aussie for some reason, I used to be in contact thit the RPGA guy here for years) Still a very desirable lot of mods in my mind;)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:05 pm 

I looked into the RPGA tournament modules a while back (maybe 3 years ago).  At some point most of these types of tournament modules were (and maybe are still) available online for download through the RPGA for free.  All you have to do is sign up for free and you are then able to download them.  This is what I was told by the local RPGA organiser at the time but I never got around to doing this.

Instead I did find a lot of these (over 100) mods downloadable from the popular peer-to-peer networks as well.  

I am not sure under what circumstances the were printed and sent out by the RPGA though - maybe for the larger tournaments but they were also made available online so you could run weekly/monthly tournaments at your local gaming store too.  It might be worth while to join the RPGA and see what is available online.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:20 pm 

Mars wrote:I looked into the RPGA tournament modules a while back (maybe 3 years ago).  At some point most of these types of tournament modules were (and maybe are still) available online for download through the RPGA for free.  All you have to do is sign up for free and you are then able to download them.  This is what I was told by the local RPGA organiser at the time but I never got around to doing this.

Instead I did find a lot of these (over 100) mods downloadable from the popular peer-to-peer networks as well.  

I am not sure under what circumstances the were printed and sent out by the RPGA though - maybe for the larger tournaments but they were also made available online so you could run weekly/monthly tournaments at your local gaming store too.  It might be worth while to join the RPGA and see what is available online.

I guess thats possible although as I noted all but 1 of these are from prior to 3rd edition. Even if WotC is now allowing you to download adventures through the RPGA for free they would not be so for 2nd edition adventures, right?  I just did some nosing around the WotC and haven't found anything yet.  Also, I am hoping that the seller will get back to me and anser some of the questions that I posed to him.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:23 pm 

Oh and another thing is WOtC even supporting FR Living City material anymore?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:40 pm 

Okay, seraching Wizards was a complete waste of time(which really was not much of a surprise).  I was able to find this page though:

http://www.geocities.com/lchouseofwar/cadventures.html

This was created by some folks who were involved in the playing of at least some of these adventures.  Outside of that its difficult to accertain exactly where they were run specifically although it does appear by reading through some of the descriptions that these were in fact run at different conventions.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:04 am 

Well, I just recieved a response from the seller and it all seems to be great news for me.  Here is his reposne to my question:

gavhriel wrote:Brian... The tournament mods came from various cons, mostly Gencon.  I've done... fairly well at the D&D (formerly the AD&D) Open over the years.  In 2000 I was fortunate enough to win the Open.  Part of the prize for that year was copies of the various rounds that we participated in.  As for the LC modules, I played quite a bit (well actually a lot) back in the day.  I hope that you enjoy them.  I they gave me a lot of pleasure as a judge and player.  Good luck... Erik

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:10 am 

bclarkie wrote:Oh and another thing is WOtC even supporting FR Living City material anymore?

Living city is over, 2005 was the last year.

Jeff

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:49 am 

nice one BC...very envious of that win dude!

wow  8O

Al

ps. dont you ever moan about not getting something again :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:47 am 

Brian---

Finger of the Wind was definitely issued at GenCon 2000 with parchment PC sheets/handouts; Paul Stormberg can confirm with additional details.  FotW was not generally available except to Con DMs and to RPGA clubs (which is how I got my copy).  I'm not sure if other tourneys were also issued with parchment versions, but that seems possible, given that FotW was.

Many of the Living Greyhawk adventures were printed or copied as single or double-sided pages for use in the tourneys, FWIW, and while they weren't openly and generally available, they were free, and you could get them if you registered with the RPGA and downloaded them for home play.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:12 am 

grodog wrote:Brian---

Finger of the Wind was definitely issued at GenCon 2000 with parchment PC sheets/handouts; Paul Stormberg can confirm with additional details.  FotW was not generally available except to Con DMs and to RPGA clubs (which is how I got my copy).  I'm not sure if other tourneys were also issued with parchment versions, but that seems possible, given that FotW was.

Many of the Living Greyhawk adventures were printed or copied as single or double-sided pages for use in the tourneys, FWIW, and while they weren't openly and generally available, they were free, and you could get them if you registered with the RPGA and downloaded them for home play.

Okay 2 things:

First off, my Finger of the Wind tournament PC sheets are not on parchement paper, they are on single sided sheets of white paper.  

Secondly, I know now why the Finger of the Wind Tournament lists Rounds 4-10.  The reason is that the first 3 rounds of the 2000 D&D open were the 2nd edition AD&D tournament module "Seven More Parts".  2000 was the year that 3rd edtion came around so they must have either run two different tournaments(1 for 2nd ed & 1 for 3rd ed which at the time were both still current material) or they ran 1 long tournament that incoporated both 2nd and 3rd edition adventures.  My guess is the former, but I don't know that for a fact, obviously.