A QUESTION ABOUT MISTY ISLES
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:22 pm 

I received today Misty Isles and Dwarven Glory from Cougarrinard. I was overjoyed :D  but I noticed something weird: the Misty Isles interior booklet is upside down  8O ! I wonder: is this a feature already described in other copies? If not, I'd be forced to contact Cougarrinard and ask for some kind of explanation. I have noticed the posting where somebody wrote he is selling photocopies of PoVQ, DW and MI and I fear he gave the booklets to some copy shop to make copies and they did a LITTLE mistake in assembling it again  :evil: .

If anybody owns Misty Isles, please let me know. Help me!  :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 3:42 pm 

Funny you should bring up Misty Isles because I was e-mailing to Adam about MI today...and I just happen to have my copy sitting 2 feet behind me.

This is what I can tell you about my copy:

1. All pages are right side up.

2. it has 8 pages of maps stapled in the middle

3. the cover is beige with heavy, textured paper

4. the pages form an inverted V with the point away from the spine. This is important because it means that all pages were cut to size  before binding. In most (TSR included) professional fold-over style printings the pages are cut after binding so that there is a uniform edge opposite the binding. I checked some 1978 modules by TSR to confirm this and the edges were all uniform.

5. The paper has a slightly courser feel than the standard white computer paper.

6. The staples are 23.5/50th of an inch long.

I know this is more information than you asked for but I thought I would offer as much as possible so that you can make a proper comparison.

-PD

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:12 am 

PurpleDragon wrote:Funny you should bring up Misty Isles because I was e-mailing to Adam about MI today...and I just happen to have my copy sitting 2 feet behind me.

This is what I can tell you about my copy:

1. All pages are right side up.

2. it has 8 pages of maps stapled in the middle

3. the cover is beige with heavy, textured paper

4. the pages form an inverted V with the point away from the spine. This is important because it means that all pages were cut to size  before binding. In most (TSR included) professional fold-over style printings the pages are cut after binding so that there is a uniform edge opposite the binding. I checked some 1978 modules by TSR to confirm this and the edges were all uniform.

5. The paper has a slightly courser feel than the standard white computer paper.

6. The staples are 23.5/50th of an inch long.

I know this is more information than you asked for but I thought I would offer as much as possible so that you can make a proper comparison.

-PD

Thank you a lot for your time. Cougarrinard admitted with no problems that the three modules were sent to a copy shop, disassembled and reassembled. Of course, I'm very upset about this  :evil: . I don't want to return the modules, but I have demanded (demanded, not asked for) a compensation for this outrageous  8O handling of a rare book. What in your mind could be a right request?

More, the maps of my copy are NOT stapled and I wonder if the copy shop did some mistake or if they were photocopies... I have not MI o DG here at the monent (I'm at the store and the modules are at home), but I'll check them out VERY closely...

Stay tuned for more about the Sotterraneo - Cougarrinard Saga! :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:09 am 

Purple's and my copies are the same. It is obvious the modules were reassembled improperly. I would report him to eBay as a fraudulent seller. You can also report him to the Royal mail for sending fraudulent and copyrighted material via Royal Mail.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:21 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:Purple's and my copies are the same. It is obvious the modules were reassembled improperly. I would report him to eBay as a fraudulent seller. You can also report him to the Royal mail for sending fraudulent and copyrighted material via Royal Mail.

I have no intention to report him as a dishonest seller. The copies of Misty Isles and Dwarven Glory are authentic and complete, albeit damaged, so I see no motive for Royal Mail pursuing him. I believe in Cougarrinard's good faith,. Simply, we are discussing about proper compensation for the disaster that incurred in that damned copy shop  :wink: . So far Cougarrinard has never cheated me and I have no reason to strike hard at him. Yes, the fact he is selling photocopies in a 'private' auction is not good  :x  and I have let him know this, but it's not business of mine pursuing him.

Anyway, thanks to everybody that helped me. Your support has been very appreciated  :D !

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:52 pm 

At risk of stirring the pot further...I have one question for you, Ciro:

How closely does the paper of the maps match that of the rest of the booklet (and its age). My concern is that they may not be the original maps. It is my understanding that it is rather common for MI to be missing its maps; and I am sure that Cougarrinard has copies from other issues he may have possessed in the past. He could easily just insert copies of the maps and try to pass them off as original. I normally would not impugn upon a seller without due course, but he has already admitted to the process of auctioning off photocopies.

-PD

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 3:48 am 

PurpleDragon wrote:At risk of stirring the pot further...I have one question for you, Ciro:

How closely does the paper of the maps match that of the rest of the booklet (and its age). My concern is that they may not be the original maps. It is my understanding that it is rather common for MI to be missing its maps; and I am sure that Cougarrinard has copies from other issues he may have possessed in the past. He could easily just insert copies of the maps and try to pass them off as original. I normally would not impugn upon a seller without due course, but he has already admitted to the process of auctioning off photocopies.

-PD

I have checked things very closely and the paper of the maps is the same paper used in the booklet. More, the maps clearly shows the holes for the staples. I haven't find any trace of the classic 'blots' or 'shadows' very often caused by copying machines. So I'm sure at 95% the mape are original  :D .

At the moment any way the Sotterraneo - Cougarrinard negotiations have entered a rough period:? . It seems that the counterpart don't recognize himself as guilty party  8O and balks at my compensation request. I have offered of course to send back Misty Isles at his expense and of course I want a full refund  :) . If he persists in this stubborn position, well, I'll have to file a complain with PayPal and EBay :cry: . I sincerely hope not having to use such means.