Original RPGA Art
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:17 am 

ExTSR, I hope you let us know if/when the Art will be available for sale :)

I'm really not that interested in the other original artists much. I sincerely like this specific cover. I prefer Parkinson, Caldwell, Brom.... in general.
The game was better in the early days though for sure!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:48 am 

:lol: I did hesitate before pressing 'submit' on this one.  You can just see how the arguments might run and run...  8O  8O  

I bid on the Paladin in Hell (not of course high enough  :) ) and i would almost certainly lose out again in an open auction.  Ditto for the PHB cover, although if gary is looking to sell...  :D

red_bus wrote:
For example, if someone was to sell the old PHB cover picture it would go for a goodly price, but not because of its artistic merit.
zhowar wrote:
*chokes*

I think I know what you meant, but I feel it has more artistic merit than anything since...

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:32 pm 

i think the items that matter in a historic way with meaning too, will always go much higher than just art that is to do with the particular genre.

for instance, PHB cover or Paladin in Hell etc...

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:00 pm 

fair point  :D

Let's go fly a kite

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:35 pm 

So that's why I have so many Roslof inks... it's interesting that so many of his survived and it would be really interesting to see what he has left if he would like to share.
Trampier's disappearance from the scene only adds to the mystique of his work and the price if any of it ever came up for bid.  
The PHB cover would easily hit 5 figures I imagine at auction.  It could go really high if relatively obscure wealthy collectors got wind of it being auctioned.  The owner of the original Deities and Demigods painting is a bassist for some relatively famous contemporary rock band, though I can't remember which one.  Noble Knight sold it to him a few years ago.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:42 pm 

Interior TSR artwork prices vary quite a bit. Devon and I have been purchasing art for several years now and the most we paid for an interior(ink not painting) was $100 for a Jeff Easley from S4. I would like to own some of Darlene's interior pieces but can't see paying a couple of hundred each. Original cover paintings can be had from $500-$2000+ and these aren't just ink on paper. Take last year at GenCon when the cover to Gods Demi-gods & Heroes went for something like $1250. That particular cover is much more significant than the Rahasia cover.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:54 pm 

Only $100 for an interior Easley from S4?!?!  That seems really reasonable.  
Who painted the cover to Gods, Demigods and Heroes?

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:10 pm 

burntwire brothers wrote:Interior TSR artwork prices vary quite a bit. Devon and I have been purchasing art for several years now and the most we paid for an interior(ink not painting) was $100 for a Jeff Easley from S4....

I recall you guys were buying the Earl Geier interior illos. from the original Call of Cthulhu rulebook when I was last year - some of these were going for $15-20 each.

Let's go fly a kite

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:17 pm 

ExTSR wrote:I'm fairly sure Gary still has the original PHB painting.

I wonder if Erol's values will drop since he's doing covers for Goodman? Or just the opposite, visibility and all that?

But since Tramp abandoned the scene and won't be back, his rare items (of unique and higher quality) should go 'way up. I, for one, will be in there swinging.

I have been thinking about this one today. I think these guys are getting work now because of what they did in the early days with TSR. I can only think of one person right now that is doing monstrously well as a result of their work now while it transcends into the value of the work they did with TSR and that is Brom. In other words, his vintage work and new work are both independently AND interdependently doing well in value.
Am I missing anyone?

I don't think anyone's work these days is diminishing the value of their vintage work at all with only a single caveat...and that is if they have quit the fantasy field altogether before they created a cult following. Fred Field's fantasy stuff comes to mind as he has left fantasy far behind for western painting. I love Fred's work and consider it a great bargain comparitively so this has to be one of the main motivating factors driving the value down.

The vintage work seems to stand on its own and gains value as the 30somethings continue to increase their disposible income. Conversely, it wouldn't seem to appear that the increasing value of vintage works is pressing up the value of new works. Roslof's newly published color items were recently for sale (unsold?) for the $700 range...while it is pointed out that his Dungeon original has sold for $2,000. Usually it is a clue that something has sold when it is removed from inventory at NKG.

As an aside, I was fortunate enough to ask Jeff Dee if his new items were for sale and I picked them up quickly for his asking prices of $200 each. I have tried everything to buy some new stuff from Otus yet he wont let the originals go. I would pay decent for a piece or two but his experiences with long lost originals of his is so deep he wont let them go. I will try anew this Christmas season to see if he could use some cash!

A couple of things, William. Aaron sold Dieties and Demigods Erol Otus??? Just goes to show everyone has a price, eh? I thought that one was a keeper! And yes, Jim Roslof was art director for TSR proper shortly after David Sutherland was done with the position. Guessing from 79-83 thereabouts? It wouldn't surprise me if he kept his work close to himself and got it out of there before it walked out on its own or was thrown in the garbage. Hence why there are so many lovely colours in circulation to go with so many inks, some of which he still has and could sell if motivated.

I agree with Burntwire, most vintage inks should not exceed the $200 mark with very few exceptions. Those exceptions would be outlined by a few of the things talked about in this thread regarding price spike conditions.

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:19 pm 

red_bus wrote:
I recall you guys were buying the Earl Geier interior illos. from the original Call of Cthulhu rulebook when I was last year - some of these were going for $15-20 each.

I would find a lot of great inks through the years by searching art keywords and look at all the listings under $10 and above $5.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:26 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:i think the items that matter in a historic way with meaning too, will always go much higher than just art that is to do with the particular genre.

for instance, PHB cover or Paladin in Hell etc...

Al

Someone at munchkinpress forums pointed out that some illustrative originals 'have a certain celebrity to them' that ordinary fine art or fantasy has by virtue of being on a book cover and visible to many people. I found this simple statement to be very true in explaining how certain item's value aren't always dictated by aesthetics.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:18 pm 

That's what I recall Aaron telling me a few years ago.  He offered it to me first for around $2,500 if I remember correctly.  I was like, whew, that's a lot of money and passed.  And then it sold quick!  Boy, do I regret that now... another one of those great pieces that just slips by... another one was the cover painting to A2 that I believe sold on Munchkin Press a few years ago for only $300 or so.  The A series is my favorite and I can really kick myself for that one as well, but I wasn't collecting art at the time.   :(

Previous