A NEWBIE NEEDS HELP
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:04 pm 

HELLO EVERYONE,

I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE COULD CLARIFY FOR ME WHERE TWO TYPES OF FLAWS WOULD LIMIT AN ITEM ON THE GRADING SCALE. (NOT BOTH FLAWS COMBINED)

1. OWNER'S NAME WRITTEN ON INSIDE OF BOOK OR MODULE

2. REMAINDER MARK

SUCH AS, THIS ITEM COULD NOT BE GREATER THAN A GOOD COPY OR FAIR COPY BECAUSE OF THE FLAW. ASSUMING THERE ARE NO OTHER FLAWS PRESENT.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE. SORRY FOR A LAME POST. :oops:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:48 pm 

Enson Johnson wrote:HELLO EVERYONE,

I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE COULD CLARIFY FOR ME WHERE TWO TYPES OF FLAWS WOULD LIMIT AN ITEM ON THE GRADING SCALE. (NOT BOTH FLAWS COMBINED)

2. REMAINDER MARK

SUCH AS, THIS ITEM COULD NOT BE GREATER THAN A GOOD COPY OR FAIR COPY BECAUSE OF THE FLAW. ASSUMING THERE ARE NO OTHER FLAWS PRESENT.

If both were unobtrusive (i.e. the remainder mark was one tiny slash on the spine, the name very small) I would consider them along with any other minor flaw like a bent corner, edge wear, spine crease....if the remainder mark were in huge black ink across the cover, the name inside in giant Green block letters, well then....
  I think neither would knock the item down to a "Good" or "Fair" condition, if that was the only flaw and otherwise the item was exceptional, but I guess it depends on the personal grading scale.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:10 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Enson Johnson wrote:HELLO EVERYONE,

2. REMAINDER MARK

If both were unobtrusive (i.e. the remainder mark was one tiny slash on the spine, the name very small) I would consider them along with any other minor flaw like a bent corner, edge wear, spine crease....if the remainder mark were in huge black ink across the cover, the name inside in giant Green block letters, well then....
  I think neither would knock the item down to a "Good" or "Fair" condition, if that was the only flaw and otherwise the item was exceptional, but I guess it depends on the personal grading scale.

Mike B.

Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I know it was a loaded question but I needed some insight. Thanks again.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:14 pm 

The owner's name neatly written on the inside cover is to be almost expected -- it would eliminate "Mint", but not necessarily "Near Mint", assuming the book was otherwise flawless.*

* But it won't be, because nobody writes their name neatly in a book and then closes it away forever.  They read through it vigorously and crease the spine instead.  At least nobody I know.

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:18 pm 

Enson, try to post in lowercase please. No such thing as a lame post!
I have never thought that a remainder mark does a heck of a lot to lower the value. Others might, though.
There is no definite scale as far as grading. If an item was minty other than a name and rem hole, I'd say it was Fine.
Try this for a start-

Near Mint- Extremely minor flaws, tiny spine break(s), corner bumps, etc.
Fine- Slight spine breaks, very light overall wear, no sizeable tears.
Good- Well-visible spine breaks, moderate scuffing/wear, small tears.
Fair- Large tears, lots of use/scuffing, some staining.
Poor- Beat to shit.

Alternately, do as I do. Describe every flaw, however minor, and let the buyer decide.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:04 pm 

Thanks Deimos.

Thanks Deadlord. I appreciate the posts. A big help. :D

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:28 pm 

Name on inside of a HC is not a huge deal, but pretty much limits item to excellent (not near mint or mint).

On a module the "damage" is much more severe.

Sorry, had to cut post short.

Anyway, modules with writing on them, even if it is a name, lose value more rapidly than HCs. Tons of people wrote their names in their phbs. Only "that select few" did so to their modules. And when I come upon it, I immediately think -"this looks like sh-t" 8O

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:54 pm 

... of course, it depends whose name it is too!

Gary H. Kramer

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:19 pm 

Of course if your name is of the feline persuasion everything no matter how nice or how beat to hell it is qualifies as VGC. :P

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche