Jade Hare SW
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 1:35 pm 

Ebay auction fetches $660 for SW jade hare. Seems like the winner got a pretty good deal.  Adam

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 5:11 pm 

I think the price was pretty good but a little high. I just think that the Jade Hare cover/coverless is overrated. Neat item to own but with fakes being passed around, you gotta be careful!  IMO I'd rather spend my money on some other items than the Jade Hare.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 7:13 pm 

I feel the printed cardstock cover authenticates this item. There have not been that many with this cardstock cover ever offered up for auction. I can only think of 3 or 4 over the last several years. Surely these numbers support the estimated value of $1250 on this site.  I believe the coverless Jade Hare copies might seem overpriced in light of these fakes but at less than $160 on average (my estimate) it is still a bargain for a rare item. Of course the value of things are ultimately set by 2 people who are bidding on the same item, so time will tell what these items are truly worth.  Adam

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 1:31 am 

Adam,   I too feel that the cardstock authenticates this item.  I am a pretty avid collector and I could not convince myself to purchase one that didn't have it.  I think the last auction win had a lot to do with the time of year and the economy.  Just less money out there to (as my wife would say) waste on this stuff.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 4:26 am 

SW Jade Hare, back on the auction block. Same seller as the US$660.00 sale. I just saw that the first one went to Sir Kill Alot <Congrats>   Should be interesting to watch.  Cheers, Curt

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 11:42 am 

The auction will be interesting to watch but what I'm more interested in is how this seller was so lucky to get two of them in shrinkwrap. Perhaps he can comment on that and enlighten us with info we don't know yet.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 12:01 pm 

Mike, I spoke with the guy via email and this is what he said...  
I bought a bunch of stuff from a friend who was getting rid of his "load".  He sold me everything that he owns - which added to my own collection was quite a bit much.  I used to want to collect everything but now am content to only owning all the Forgotten Realm stuff, Core books from the 1st Ed, 2nd Edition and everything from the 3rd edition.  Where my friend worked for is another matter.... Needless to say I live in Seattle....  The book that you now own may have been part of the TSR library collection of may have not been.
 He seems like a nice guy and was very courteous and accommodating on how I wanted the item shipped to me.  I would buy from him again.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 12:19 pm 

Cool story Len. Its always nice to know the history of the item and how one acquired it. I wonder if the seller even knew that the Jade Hare was worth that much!!  I wonder what other rare goodies might turn up around x-mas time! I hope lots of non tsr items show up as I'll pick them all up :-) There mine!!! :lol:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:47 pm 

I see the second Jade Hare went for $720.  I honestly thought it would go for less.  I also thought it was interesting to see Gygax try to snipe it and lose.  I have seen him do that a couple of times (especially with big ticket items) and win.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:19 pm 

I know the bidder Gygax and I guess $720 was more than what he wanted to fork out for the Jade Hare in sw. If two showed up at one time, I'm thinking some more will show up once the owners of them hear that they can get $600+ for their jade hares.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:24 pm 

Gygax is not Gary himself but his son, correct?  I won something off of him a couple of years ago and called to pay by CC.  I asked him to thank his dad for creating such a great game.  I have gone to 3 GenCons and have not seen him there.  I wonder if he cares anymore.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:27 pm 

Um No thats incorrect Len. The username gygax used to be Adrian Newmans (blackdougal). However he let go of the name when Gygax himself asked him to not use the name. Someone else took up the name and its a private collector.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:31 pm 

Interesting, At the time I didn't think I being duped :evil: Does anyone know what ebay handle 'the real' gygax uses, if at all?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:33 pm 

I don't think you were duped. At one time Gygax himself may have used the username but as of right now, there is a userid gygaxx or something similar that you are talking about who bids on high priced items.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 7:08 pm 

Sir Kill Alot wrote:I see the second Jade Hare went for $720.  I honestly thought it would go for less.  I also thought it was interesting to see Gygax try to snipe it and lose.  I have seen him do that a couple of times (especially with big ticket items) and win.
 Hey Len, I learned long ago to not be surprised by anything that happens on Ebay. I still think it is a pretty decent purchase. You should feel good about saving a few bucks on your copy. :wink:   Adam

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:50 pm 

Thanks, Adam.  I feel very fortunate to have won such an item.  My experience with EBay has been nothing short of outstanding.  Out of all my transactions on the site (>100) I have only been duped once.  One auction I won, 'Egg of the Pheonix' was labeld as mint and showed a different picture than the module I received.  I confronted the guy on it and he gave me the line that his son put up the wrong picture.   :x

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:53 pm 

You should be happy to win the Jade Hare much cheaper than what it sold the second time around.  Time for you to forget the Jade Hare now and pick up items even better than it. :lol:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:59 pm 

You should be happy to win the Jade Hare much cheaper than what it sold the second time around.   Time for you to forget the Jade Hare now and pick up items even better than it.
 ...and they get more expensive too.  I'm still eyeing your 10th Aniversary Edition, Boss. 8O

Next