SPI Middle Earth Trilogy: War of the rings + Sauron + Gondor
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:23 pm 

Hello,

how much would this game go for?

the picture is not the one I have but only a stock picture. Mine is boxed, complete and punched.

Thank you :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:07 pm 

Ranges from $50 to up to around $90 if unpunched. If you are putting one up, let me know.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:12 pm 

That's the tray version, right?  I sold a punched one without the Sauron and Gondor expansions that you have for $180 about a year ago.  I imagine yours, which is unpunched, could fetch substantially more.  Have fun!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:15 pm 

WotR alone is a pretty nice item, but the expansions are very attractive to many collectors. I don't know what the ratio of main games-to-expansions was, but they are considerably rarer.

As a guess, I'd say you looking at north of $100, depending on overall condition.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:28 pm 

I would probably say that $100 is probably a top end considering that your copy is punched.  If it doesn't have the two expansions $60 - $70.  Here are the recent auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8822064769

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8822082266

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8818909900

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:54 pm 

These have taken quite the downward turn lately.  Here is a white box version that ended recently as well:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WAR-OF-THE-RING-Mid ... dZViewItem

The one that recently went on a BIN for $104.34 had been relisted after no one went for it at $138.20.

I used to watch for these often about 6 months to a year ago.  Almost all of them were topping $150.  Maybe it is about time I got one.  :D

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:10 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:These have taken quite the downward turn lately.  Here is a white box version that ended recently as well:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WAR-OF-THE-RING-Mid ... dZViewItem

The one that recently went on a BIN for $104.34 had been relisted after no one went for it at $138.20.

I used to watch for these often about 6 months to a year ago.  Almost all of them were topping $150.  Maybe it is about time I got one.  :D

Not sure if it is just one of those blips where things occasionally take a dive or if the Fantasy Flight Games "War of the Rings" is filling the void for the gamers and only collectors are bidding. If they continue to sell for under $100 I would grab one if I were you.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:39 am 

Two of these three listings are terrible, so the sellers didn't do themselves any favors there. The one right below, posted by King, is also shaky. What goes through people's heads when they post vague (or flat-out inaccurate) descriptions and blurry photos?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:45 am 

$200, unopened:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8804123000

$108, unpunched:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8811286253

I wouldn't give up on this item just yet ... although, generally, prices do seem to be trending down from the last time I really looked (probably 2-3 years ago).

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:49 am 

yeah i used to have them on my favorite searches for quite a while and yes, they DO go for quite varied prices, and not always dependant on their conditions either.

i was going to hit for one a while back and it sold in the uk for £31, which for a WoTR + sauron + gondor is very good indeed. WoTR on its own normally goes for a lil less, but again, it depends on who is looking for it at the time.

i managed to get sauron and gondor boxed on their own, which was all i was looking for tbh, so i could play them with my daughter a few times (as she loves LOTR)...after i kicked her butt about half a dozen times on gondor and twice on sauron, she didnt want to play anymore :D

great finds if you can get them complete. i will be selling my two boxes before long as i need a little space and i only bought them to play.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:21 am 

killjoy32 wrote:yeah i used to have them on my favorite searches for quite a while and yes, they DO go for quite varied prices, and not always dependant on their conditions either.

i was going to hit for one a while back and it sold in the uk for £31, which for a WoTR + sauron + gondor is very good indeed. WoTR on its own normally goes for a lil less, but again, it depends on who is looking for it at the time.

i managed to get sauron and gondor boxed on their own, which was all i was looking for tbh, so i could play them with my daughter a few times (as she loves LOTR)...after i kicked her butt about half a dozen times on gondor and twice on sauron, she didnt want to play anymore :D

great finds if you can get them complete. i will be selling my two boxes before long as i need a little space and i only bought them to play.

Al

There is or was until just recently the stand alone Sauron box set on eBay. Not sure if it is still up or not. I was tracking it to snipe and then I came to the realization I had the combined set already so why spend the money.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:30 am 

killjoy32 wrote:yeah i used to have them on my favorite searches for quite a while and yes, they DO go for quite varied prices, and not always dependant on their conditions either.

Without Sauron & Gondor, tends to be a lot less: e.g. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8814008360 would've been £12/$22 (large part unpunched) had I not given it a nudge. (The Bakshi box has retained its value better, but even that is well down now that the recent film hype has diminished).

With Sauron & Gondor; still aim for $75-90, punched.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:01 am 

Thank you very much for all your answers and precisions.

On this site there are different versions

http://www.freewebs.com/tolkienboardgam ... ngsspi.htm

this is this one:
----SPI Middle Earth: War of the Ring trilogy - 3 games, green box Box art of Balrog and Gandalf covers about 50% of the box. Underneath the picture are some sentences and then the SPI logo. Lettering of the words War of the Ring, Gondor, and Sauron are in red. Word Middle Earth is in white and lettering of The Ring Trilogy is yellow.

with box and maps in cardboard.

I will sell it soon.

Thanks to all :)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:56 pm 

SPI's complete Ring is erratic on eBay but solid at GenCon; last year we had a punched one, went for $210. It's always over $150. The core WotR game without Sauron/Gondor, punched, went for $35 (unverified & scruffy) and $80 (verified & clean).

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:01 pm 

ExTSR wrote:SPI's complete Ring is erratic on eBay but solid at GenCon; last year we had a punched one, went for $210. It's always over $150. The core WotR game without Sauron/Gondor, punched, went for $35 (unverified & scruffy) and $80 (verified & clean).

i remember buying one from a friend at school (about 1983) that we used to play. i got it for £4 and sold it about 5-6 years ago for £52.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:35 pm 

I snapped up a copy on ebay about 3 weeks ago. Normally I don't like SPI games for some reason but decided to make an exception for WotR. I had it on my watch list for quite a while, getting a feel for current prices. I decided that a copy in very good condition with the Gondor and Sauron games would be a good buy at anything under $100. The one I won recently I got for $83, which I was happy with.

Regards

Mike

Demand of them whither they should comme to devide the worlde with the Emperour? And as they answered, he tooke up his shirte behinde and shewed them his buttocks, sayenge unto them, drawe your Lyne throughe the middest of *this* place.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:29 pm 

I think I was the one that pushed the price up to $83 - it looked like it was going to go for a fair bit cheaper.  I normally don't bid on or track these either.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:21 pm 

Marlith may be right in his comment about the recent War of the Ring game.  It's a much better game than the SPI game which really wasn't that well-designed.

I've bought four copies over the years, paying as little as $48 and as high as $99 (for a faded map copy from Gamescape back in my more naive years "What's the condition" "Well, dude, it's good for a 20-year old game").  

It sounds like from Frank's comment that you may get more for it at a live auction than on Ebay.

Next