TSR Hobbies, Inc. A Company Profile
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:31 pm 

Just out of curiosity, has anyone else here (other than maybe Frank) seen one of these:

It was one of the first fan-style items I ever got. I've since misplaced the letter that came with it, but it was sent to me by Gary's assistant/secretary when I sent him a fan letter in 1981 or 82, IIRC. I've never seen them elsewhere.

It's 8 pages, and was apparently designed as an insert for Toy & Hobby World magazine (?). These kinds of things apparently were ride-alongs with an issue, or were the center signature, and publishers would print extras to give or sell to the company being features.

What would something like this be worth?

James

James Mishler
James Mishler Games

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:14 am 

$30?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:49 am 

Neat item. Thanks for posting the picture. It'd would be cool if the Acaeum had a subweb for such 'periphera'...of course, that would require a motivated individual to create it.

Mark's estimate sounds good to me, but I'd ask Faro. Could go higher if it sparks a certain interest. I sold a copy of the 1980 TSR Module Submission Guidelines (about 5 pages with the same "TSR Face" logo as above) for about $50 in auction. It was not signed, though.

I searched Ebay and Abebooks quickly for "Toy and Hobby World" but didn't find a single back issue, so I assume it'll be pretty hard to find another copy of this, even assuming it is found in the May 1981 issue.

You could ask Gary over on Dragonsfoot if he remembers signing a lot of them.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:26 am 

Nice item...my only question is why would you sell it? Not to be too personal but an item like that would at least to me have too much sentimental value to sell. Sorry for probably saying more than I should.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:18 am 

Yup; neat item not to sell, James, and looks to be genuine on the signature.

I'd edge fractionally above Mark's guess ($30-40) as the sort of money people might pay for a "nice to have" that ties into the business. Unsigned, would probably be of much lesser interest in this case, although I cannot see the inside pages!

zhowar wrote:Mark's estimate sounds good to me, but I'd ask Faro. Could go higher if it sparks a certain interest. I sold a copy of the 1980 TSR Module Submission Guidelines (about 5 pages with the same "TSR Face" logo as above) for about $50 in auction. It was not signed, though.

$53; http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8798648367 (I'd reckoned $40-60, although my snipe was higher)

Reasoning being rarity, not mass-produced, good condition and eye-appeal, plus a clear link into published material - with a large bonus for relating to modules rather than The Dragon (*g*). Date was just early enough, IMO (c/w http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8799169876 )

Looking good, btw. Thanks :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:13 pm 

Oh, I don't plan on selling it... mostly was just curious what it might be worth, and whether anyone else had seen one.

It does hold a lot of sentimental value... though I've sold things with sentimental value before when the need arose. Working in this industry is a financial boondoggle, frankly, and at times you just gotta do what you gotta do.  :(

This would be one of the last things I'd ever sell, though... hell, I'd probably end up destitute in the streets before I sold this. I'd be that homeless guy that hangs out in front of the game store, clutching a polybagged copy of "TSR Hobbies, Inc: A Company Profile" in my dirty mittened hand, muttering about how I got gypped selling my Judges Guild collection...

James

James Mishler
James Mishler Games

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:29 pm 

jamesmishler wrote:muttering about how I got gypped selling my Judges Guild collection...

yeah mega disaster that!

mind you that sig "James Mishler

My opinion is my own. If you wanna use it, you gotta pay me. " really made me laugh :D :D :D

Al

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:34 pm 

Nice one James!  TSR ephemera is lots of fun :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/