Rescue the Princess - Gamer Liberation Front
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:34 pm 

Anyone familiar with this. I know I probably overpaid on the item and definatley on shipping. Still I had never seen it before......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWN:IT

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:40 pm 

Home brew.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:39 am 

Marlith wrote:Anyone familiar with this. I know I probably overpaid on the item and definatley on shipping. Still I had never seen it before......

Nice find. It should fetch $20 on open auction. I'd have gone that high.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:57 am 

Does home brew make it good or bad?  

IF I started my own company, printed 250 copies of an adventure, sold 37 of them and then went out of business...that makes my publication a rare treasure.

IF I made my own dungeon and sold or gave away 37 semi-professional copies....is that bad?

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:17 am 

If you put out 37 copies, I would still consider that 'small press' and wouldn't distinguish between the two, even if one said 'copyright John Smith, Lord of Aldar' and the other said 'coppyright Aldar Publishing Group Inc.' I see no difference.

If you published 2 copies, gave one to your mate to DM who binned it 20 years ago, and kept the other in with your college stuff, then that's a one off hombrew item, kinda like what BTB sold this week. You're likely to find fewer buyers fort hat sort of thing, but they are out there.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:20 am 

Interesting thought...at least to me.....

I wonder how many amateur publications are out there in file drawers, boxes and car trunks.

I wonder the total number of worlds and dungeons hiding about.  Millions?

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:34 am 

Tons.
Home brews really depend on the content. The cover looks like a kindergarden drawing, which is usually a bad sign, but one never knows.
Personally, I steer clear of prepubs, manuscripts, home brews, and the like. Too much chance of forgery/photocopying, most of the time you can't be sure of what you get, and the value is VERY subjective. But it really depends on personal preference.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:09 am 

I have Rescue the Princess as well so there are at least 2 copies around.  I can't remember if it ever came with a cover though - I'd have to dig it out and check (but that could take a while).

Did Gamer's Liberation Front produce anything else?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:35 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:If you put out 37 copies, I would still consider that 'small press' and wouldn't distinguish between the two, even if one said 'copyright John Smith, Lord of Aldar' and the other said 'coppyright Aldar Publishing Group Inc.' I see no difference.

If you published 2 copies, gave one to your mate to DM who binned it 20 years ago, and kept the other in with your college stuff, then that's a one off hombrew item, kinda like what BTB sold this week. You're likely to find fewer buyers fort hat sort of thing, but they are out there.

I'd personally define any "small-press" vs. "homebrew" distinction more in terms of the top-right hand corner rather than based on the number of copies produced; although both are notoriously imprecise terms.
(There being no module equivalent of "perszine" in this case... and not that some of those weren't actually sold, too!)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:10 pm 

So, what's it about?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:19 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:So, what's it about?

Ah crap, now I need to go and dig it out.  We'll see whether Marlith gets his in the mail before I find mine in the shelves.

My guess would be that you need to rescue a princess and along the way hilarity ensues ...

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:25 pm 

Got this today....not much on writing reviews but here it goes.

The cover art is very primitive as is the interior are. The are was done by Tom F. Cardin who is one of the authors. Luckily there is not much interior art.

The module is 16 pages long including the covers. It is supposed to be generic and "can be used with AD&D" but it seems to have been written using AD&D statistics.

The background is that a beautiful elvish princess (are there ever any other kinds....do elves kill their ugly children?) was traveling to a neighboring kingdom to meet with a prince to explore the option of marriage and improved relations. When she gets to her destination she vanishes in the night before there can be a meeting. The guard sent in search of her have not returned in days and the prince is looking for help....

SPOILER

The module is sort of different in that there are three different scenarios as to what happened. Due to the size of the module each of these is very limited in scope. There are two smaller ones and one that is a little more detailed. There is a specific set of rumors for each option that will lead the players to the needed encounter as well as random monster tables for each.

The first option is that she was kidnapped by a party of drow that were camped in nearby woods. One assumes they have kidnapped her because she is an elvish princess.

The second and largest option is a Haunted Keep with dungeon. In this there is a new monster type and it craves the flesh of beautiful women.

In the third the party is lead to a small abandoned temple that has been taken over by evil priests. They have kidnapped the princess to sacrifice her to their god/demon...there is a possibility of encounter a demon in this scenario.

END SPOILER

All in all it is not too bad for a private offering. It could have been polished and some additional content added but this can still be done. I would think that I would mesh the three option together and make it a larger affair if I were running it. It was printed in 1985 and cost $2.49...so it was less than half what the mass produced modules were selling for at the time IIRC. It is not going to make top 50 modules of all time but I do not feel bad having it in my collection and it showed some difference in allowing for the three options.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:58 pm 

i have one too (came with  stuff from an isoldit auction about a year ago that included a dwarven glory) so there were at least 3 made :-)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:01 am 

stratochamp wrote:i have one too (came with  stuff from an isoldit auction about a year ago that included a dwarven glory) so there were at least 3 made :-)

It has a cover price, so I'd imagine there was a print run in the same order as that of the fanzines of the time. But it's the sort of thing people will have binned or damaged, so I'd guess there are very few left.