Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:52 pm 

Anyone know anything about this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Staff-of-Fanon- ... dZViewItem

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:57 pm 

This item has come up before and I might even have one... seeing that it is Columbia Games it could be Harn item...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 1:28 am 

It's definitely the classic Columbia logo, so it's the same publisher as Harn:  http://www.columbiagames.com/  

From the site, it looks like it's OOP, since you can't pull it up by keyword or product #.  It's the first in a three-part adventure series, and the 2nd and 3rd parts are still available.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 7:18 am 

two words.. Herioc Worlds...

A quest for an enchanted Elven Staff. The heroes must pass through a portal to another world where their search leads them to a musterious tower. The village of Fandon's Vale is described in detail. 1987, columbia Games for Harnmaster.

Brette:)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 7:22 am 

What!  Is someone not using Heroic Worlds!  Come on now people!  :D

Wonder if there will ever be another Heroic Worlds equivalent?  Lots of stuff from the 90's to catalog.  Any volunteers?   :D

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 7:41 am 

Lots of crap to catalog in the 1990s:  I got rid of over several boxes of dark, Vampire-inspired/rip-off rpgs worth $250-ish in Noble Knight credit.  I'm glad those are gone, gone, gone!   (They were review copies of dark fantasy/horror/angsty rpg books when I was writing reviews for The Unspeakable Oath).

I keep hoping that Schick will come out of his hiding/retirement and he'll have the next update volume in hand....

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:12 pm 

I think an update would be a very lofty goal.  There is just too much stuff out there now to try and catalog.  Even if the book was dedicated to just fantasy roleplaying, it would be bigger than the original book.  If such a book were to be written it would have to be a joint authorship with a number of experts, one for each gaming system and an editor to compile it all.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 2:51 pm 

I'll edit it, if we put together something here.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 5:35 pm 

Mars wrote:I think an update would be a very lofty goal.  There is just too much stuff out there now to try and catalog.  Even if the book was dedicated to just fantasy roleplaying, it would be bigger than the original book.  If such a book were to be written it would have to be a joint authorship with a number of experts, one for each gaming system and an editor to compile it all.

I think volume is the problem. Everything published for RPGs from 1991 on would be tough without the explosion of smallpublishers after 3.0 came out.  I couldn't even imagine having to catalog just D&D stuff from 2000 on, much less the hundreds of other publishers.  Let's face it, Schick had it easy in cataloguing 1974-1991, 1991-2006 would be a nightmare.  I guess the joint authorship with say a few dozen chroniclers would be the only solution.  Even then the man hours involved in something like this would entail a full-time career!  It's nice to think about, though.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 9:17 pm 

A new Schick-like Heroic Worlds book is unlikely to ever come to fruition.  It would be huge and the potential market is too small to matter.  
Our best bet for a comprehensive listing would be a RPGgeek site a la boardgamegeek.  It would be a lot of fun too...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 9:29 pm 

I wouldn't mind seeing 2000-2006 "left out" (at least for now).   I'd be happy with a 1991-1999 update.  :)

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "