FOR BRITISH COLLECTORS
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:17 pm 

Perusing my Imagine magazine collection I found reviews for two British fantasy  :D  modules: Daemon Spawn of the Myathlon Cult (in Imagine 21) and No Honour in Sathporte (Imagine 12): does anybody know anything about these products, excluding what the reviews say? British collectors, help!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 6:53 pm 

I have "Daemon", an english rpg published 1987 by BPFP (I'm sure it stands for something but can't remember what) it turns up on ebay irregularly, that may be the same thing. The other also rings a bell, may have something to do the english module "starstone" by northern sages??

Brette:)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:34 pm 

I have No Honor in Sathporte. It was published by Chaotic Intellect Products in '83 me thinks. Pretty interesting module centered around thieves, villians, assassins and other rogues in the city Sathporte. Sort of like Thieves World or Thieves Guild just not as thorough as those efforts.

The author gives a special thanks to Don Turnbull on the title page. Turnbull being probably the highest ranking TSR guy in UK subsidiary.

The author mentions another soon to be release title in the back of the mod. 'City of Sathporte'. I doubt it was ever released as alot of these small companies always listed future releases that never panned out.

Later.

Adam

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:32 pm 

So, I'm not sure if you guys will pick up a response to such an old thread, although I can see you're still active on this site - which surely means you're still into your hobby/obsession after all this time - which is very cool.  If you're still in need of information - which seems doubtful as it appears other collectors know all about it , but if you do - I can shed some light on 'No Honour in Sathporte', as I was partly responsible for it's creation.  Man that's a very long time ago...

I guess if you respond to this I'll see it when I log in??  We shall see.  Happy gaming - Chris.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:44 pm 

Welcome!

And yeah, share what you know!  We love to learn!

Brett, at least, is still around, so I imagine he'll chime in shortly.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, Pendragon, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based, CoC, Runequest

Planning: BRP/Harn

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:13 pm 

No Honour in Sathporte is very highly thought of in our Acaeum community. We'd love to hear anything you'd care to share regarding your involvement. Thanks for chiming in!

Shrink is not a condition

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:30 pm 

Here are the entries for the items on the Tome of Treasures:

No Honour in Sathporte:
Tome of Treasures :: View topic - No Honour in Sathporte (1983)

Daemon:
Tome of Treasures :: View topic - Daemon (1987)

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:32 pm 

Thanks for coming back guys; it' seems quite odd that people are interested in NHIS after all this time - probably more interested than they were at the time, or perhaps that was our lack of marketing savvy...!  But it's nice that it lives on.

Steve and I were school-friends, somehow fell into gaming together a bit later on and, driven by Steve's desire to make a less than conventional living beholden to no-one, created NHIS - our first and only foray into supps for AD&D - it was edited on a BBC Micro located on the landing of Steve's parents house, and we commissioned friends and acquaintances for the artwork.  A very happy creative time in my life.

The nod to Don Turnbull was perhaps political as much as anything else; clearly it's an AD&D product but unlicensed - in those days, as I'm sure you know, there was a healthy underground of alternative 'zines and the like but despite that slightly frontier atmosphere of gaming at that time, putting a more professional product out there without GG's approval was edgy.  Knowing Steve he probably rang DT up and asked if it was OK...and then we carried on regardless.  From TSR's point of view it probably made sense to have underground product out there anyway, so I imagine TSR UK were happy to turn a blind eye.

I guess it was the product of a couple of enthusiasts who felt that there wasn't much of quality out there for a game they loved, and tried to do something about it with all the naive energy of youth.  Happy times.

Happy gaming all....and if anyone has a spare copy, please let me know - thanks!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:06 pm 

Thanks for the information and welcome to the site. :)

Honestly, I wasn't familiar with the module until you bumped this old thread. Now and I think you've created an Acaeum effect- helped create a demand for an item by bringing attention to it here. Lol

Carpe DM!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:56 am 

Yes still here.. geez..that was 12 years ago;)

I did manage to pick up a copy(notes say its cut wrong at the bommon)..in fact I'm pretty sure I only picked this up last year..

Brette:)

edit: nice review here..

Reviews from R'lyeh: Retrospective: English, Grim, and Obscure

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:58 am 

cdenham wrote in FOR BRITISH COLLECTORS:I think you've created an Acaeum effect- helped create a demand for an item by bringing attention to it here. Lol

Probably not in this case.  It's just too hard to find a copy anyway, so it already would have gone for a good amount.  The extra annoyance on Sathporte is that there are a lot of maps and things, so getting a complete copy can be another obstacle.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, Pendragon, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based, CoC, Runequest

Planning: BRP/Harn

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:35 am 

scribe wrote in FOR BRITISH COLLECTORS:The author gives a special thanks to Don Turnbull on the title page. Turnbull being probably the highest ranking TSR guy in UK subsidiary.

Uh, yeah.... started TSR UK for us, Inductee #1 into the Adventure Gaming Hall of Fame (and my boss at NIPI for 2-3 years).