D&D Fast Play Games
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:40 am 

I came upon these in a box.  I have all of them including the Smoke Dragon, I've also got one that says "Free" on the upper corner, is by Jeff Grubb, and has a lich warrior on the cover. there is a coupon on the back for $5 off the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons boxed set.  I guess this was a freebie I picked up, how rare is it, has anyone sold one to determine it's worth?

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:44 am 

A number of these have sold in the past.  Typically it does quite well if advertised properly but I think most copies are sold tucked away in lots where most people don't find them.  I would say it is rarer and would do better than Your Personal Invitation to Adventure.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:36 pm 

I've sold two of these in private sales to acaeum members for $25.00 each.  Deadlord just sold one on ebay for $23.01 back in March.

So, around $20-25 to a collector.  I have a Crypt of the Smoke Dragon on auction at this moment - it is at $16.25 with an hour and a half to go.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:35 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:I've sold two of these in private sales to acaeum members for $25.00 each.  Deadlord just sold one on ebay for $23.01 back in March.

So, around $20-25 to a collector.  I have a Crypt of the Smoke Dragon on auction at this moment - it is at $16.25 with an hour and a half to go.

I remember when Smoke Dragon used to be a cash cow.  Where was it originally available? To retailers only?  That seems to be where I got my Fast Play items.
   Anyone remember Warriors of the Gray Queen? Used to go for a nice amount, it was pretty rare, if I remember it was a Greyhawk adventure stuck inside a Scyre magazine (or something similar). Now you can't even find them, their odd size I think contributes to that, I wonder how many were just tossed away.

Mike B.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:44 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Beyondthebreach wrote:I've sold two of these in private sales to acaeum members for $25.00 each.  Deadlord just sold one on ebay for $23.01 back in March.

I remember when Smoke Dragon used to be a cash cow.  Where was it originally available? To retailers only?  That seems to be where I got my Fast Play items.
   Anyone remember Warriors of the Gray Queen? Used to go for a nice amount, it was pretty rare, if I remember it was a Greyhawk adventure stuck inside a Scyre magazine (or something similar). Now you can't even find them, their odd size I think contributes to that, I wonder how many were just tossed away.

Mike B.

Warriors was in Inquest Magazine, issue 44 or 50 something like that. I found one a few months back still in the magazine at HPBs. No telling how long it had been there.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 4:20 pm 

Is there an official word on the Fast Play line? Like, how many were there (was it three)? There's the minotaur one, the wyvern one, and ... and ... after that I get hazy.

And how were they distributed? Wasn't one of them bound into an issue of Dragon?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 6:43 pm 

11331 Wrath of the Minotaur
11373 Eye of the Wyvern
Crypt of the Smoke Dragon
Fast-Play Game (one with Lich on cover)
Fast-Play Game Diablo II Edition

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:55 am 

Plaag wrote:11331 Wrath of the Minotaur
11373 Eye of the Wyvern
Crypt of the Smoke Dragon
Fast-Play Game (one with Lich on cover)
Fast-Play Game Diablo II Edition

ShaneG.

The Lich cover one was also the same adventure that appeared "free" bound inside some issues of Dungeon mags and Dragon mags.  "The Ruined Tower" consisted of five rooms/encounters with Giant Rats, a pit trap, skeletons and a ghoul. I remember it because it's the first D&D adventure my daughter ever went through!  I believe the "Lich" edition was given away free at game stores (there is a $5 off the basic D&D game box on the back, and the word "Free" on the cover).  Eye of the Wyvern and Wrath of the Minotaur were sold for $5 each on the shelves. I believe Smoke Dragon was a convention/retailer only giveaway?  I don't have the Diablo one so I know nothing about it.

Mike B.

Last edited by Badmike on Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:24 am 

Badmike wrote:I believe Smoke Dragon was a convention/retailer only giveaway?  I don't have the Diablo one so I know nothing about it.

Mike B.

coming back to this issue: i tried to look up an find where and how "Crypt of the Smoke Dragon" had been distributed, but found no answers so far... i was basically looking for any info about it...

I am the servant of the Secret Maps, Wielder of the flame of Clone!
You cannot quote! The dark spam will not avail you, flame of Udun.
Go back to the Shadow! You... cannot... post!!!