Anyone still play D&D, or even read this stuff?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 4:03 am 

I know that The Acaeum makes a point to say that their interest in TSR collectables is in the value/rarity/thrill of the hunt for these items.

"None of us here have played D&D since probably 1985.  Frankly, we'd be hard-pressed to tell you the difference between a halfling and a dwarf, let alone how far one could toss the other.  There are a plethora of web sites out there that cover every nuance of how this game is played; The Acaeum staff is unfortunately only able to answer questions related to D&D collectibles themselves."

But, I was curious...do any of you actually read the modules and books? From a historical or accedemic standpoint? Does anyone actually bust out 70's era 1st edition rules and play with one of the pastel modules?

This could be like the guys that do Cival War reanactments.

• MichaelHughCigars
  • "Well, either it allows a magic-user to throw the various Bigby's hand spells, or it's a +2 backscratcher. So far, we're not sure which...."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 9:42 am 

Every day. Play twice a week and read constantly.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 9:58 am 

Of coarse I still play, although only about once or twice a month. I will read almost everything in my collection given time(some of the old non-TSR items are really cool).

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:44 am 

Yes, only once a month, first edition AD&D (not even with Unearthed Arcana rules additions) - battered books and rules that are more than 20 years old...  And actually it is really fun playing really stripped down rules compared to todays skill-heavy tomes.  A dungeon, a bunch of adventurers, some beasties, it's great!  

Just like old times, although we go through bottles of decent wine rather than cheap beer and spliffs.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 10:56 am 

Damn you! We still do cheap beer and spliffs..........

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 11:37 am 

Ummm.... What's a spliff?

(I am familiar with cheap beer.)   :D

(Haffenreffer gives you a nice little puzzle under the cap for those boring moments when the DM is unprepared and furiously looking through his notes to confirm another players unfounded claim that he received 5000xp for killing 3 orcs in the last game!)  (After 2, 16 oz bottles, most any DM can be pursuaded that is the truth too!)   8O

Is Boone's Farm "decent wine"?   :wink:

Dere Fritoad, Two badd yoo copped outt so sooon lazt nighgt. Mised som grooovy trps. Hoap th rring thinng wurcs out awrighgt. Peece, Timm  PS Hear ar som outt of sihgt stash I'm laying onn yoo guyz. Must sine off as rush iss cocomcoming ohgodohgod$#%*@!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 1:01 pm 

I envy you still with the cheap beer and chemical refreshment!

Decent wine (in my humble opinion) is anything that turns up in a bottle - if it comes in a plastic carton you can be sure it is of a most inferior vintage.  Although you ought to still drink it (waste not want not).  As for food - well it has to be pizza (and plenty).  

hmmm, maybe things haven't changed that much after all.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 3:54 pm 

Decent wine is anything above 6% alcohol. A spliff is a joint.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:01 pm 

Damn!

I must have been living under a rock!  (Or just in Maine...)  I've never heard of a spliff!!!

Joints, on the other hand...    8)  (see below!)

Dere Fritoad, Two badd yoo copped outt so sooon lazt nighgt. Mised som grooovy trps. Hoap th rring thinng wurcs out awrighgt. Peece, Timm  PS Hear ar som outt of sihgt stash I'm laying onn yoo guyz. Must sine off as rush iss cocomcoming ohgodohgod$#%*@!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 5:38 pm 

I brew my own beer and I do my part to make sure that I never get Glaucoma. :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:36 pm 

I stick to Fuki Japanese plum wine.  Talk about something that is like fruit juice going down, but MAN does it get you messed up in a hurry.  Most people I know get about 2 bottles in them before they actually realize its alchoholic.

Tried making mead once in college...  the roommate kept sneaking in, and pouring sugar in, which made it REALLY strong.  We couldn't find many people to try the end product, but I do have fond memories of dragging them down the hall by the ankles to the bathroom.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:33 pm 

I play thrice a month during most months, in a Greyhawk game---where I'm the _player_---which is just great!  We're playing 3.35 edition.

I actively read and research Greyhawk stuff for my own site and for Canonfire and the Oerth Journal, so if any of you run across odd tidbits here and there, pipe up! :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:03 am 

here's a theory...   Perhaps actually still Playing these games - with its fun social/drinking aspect - actually protects you from thinking too much about the really ultry-geeky aspects of collecting rpgs (e.g. off the top of my head, emm... developing an opinion as to whether how many slits in the shrinkwrap are allowed in a module that is classed as being still in the original shrinkwrap...)

I consider myself to be an unshrunk boozy kind of collector (still mint though).

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 5:13 pm 

I just read them now mostly.

I wouldn't use pastel versions as the maps are too light.

But yes, when I do play its with the original AD&D books and modules.  Nothing past '85.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:02 am 

I still play weekly, tho unfortunately it's turd edition.  Oh well, I'd rather play turd edition than not play...

Paul

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Saphoo that thoughts aquire speed; the lips aquire stains; the stains become a warning.  It is by will alone I set my mind in motion."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:49 pm 

LOL! "Turd" edition - that's really good ... even I understand that  :lol: