A bunch of old D&D stuff - any help with what it's worth
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:28 pm 

Hi everyone, I recently re-acquired a whole lot of D&D stuff from my youth via my brother (who'd held on to it for years but has just moved house)..... I was wondering if any kind souls could give me some clues as to what it might be worth as I'm unlikely to use it myself - so it might as well go to a good home somewhere! I came across this site in my efforts and am mightily impressed! I've worked out what printing etc most of them are from elsewhere in the site, but am a bit confused about the pricing guides. Of course, if anyone wants to make me an offer, then fire away. Anyway, to cut to the chase, what I've got is:

Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set - 2nd Printing Jan 1978 (I think this is the US version not a UK version as there's no mention of GW as far as I can see). Box is a bit knackered, rulebook and other bits are OK (but used, obviously). The dice are missing though I think I know where they are.

Gods, Demi-Gods and Heroes, 1st printing - excellent cond, protected by a plastic covering my mother insisted we put on!

Swords and Spells, 1st printing - also excellent

Chainmail, 3rd ed - pretty good

AD&D Players Handbook, 1st UK print (softback). A number of the pages have become detached from the spine (glue failure?), though it is complete and otherwise in decent condition

AD&D Monster Manual, 1st UK print (softback) - cond as above

AD&D DMG - May 1979 - 4th print possibly? Cover is scuffed (my mother obviously didn't insist on covering this one!) but insides are fine.

Deities & Demigods - the Melnibone/Cthulhu version (excellent cond - probably because we never really used it as our characters never rose beyond about 10th level)

Dungeoneers Survival Guide - excellent condition

Modules A1, A2, D2, D3, G2, G3 - all in reasonable condition though used, some have some pencil jottings on.

I've also got a bunch of magazines, including The Dungeoneer Compendium issues 1-6 (JG no 73) and JG journal 110

Any advice gratefully received!

Cheers

Eddy

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:21 pm 

The most valuable items from that list are the GW 1st print Monster Manual (if no plastic cover & especially if the pages can be easily glued back in and the covers and spine are relatively intact) and D&DG w/Cthulhu (in good condition w/o plastic cover, an easy sell in the UK).
Both of those should be in the $25-50 range; top end or perhaps better if in really good condition (or repairable and fine-looking re. the MM).

If you mean sticky-backed plastic on the 1st print G,DG&H and 1st print S&S (interestingly old compared with the other items!), those would've been in the same price band but probably drop to the bottom end or slightly below as a result :(

Should the G & D mods be Games Workshop prints (see logo on cover) or "Lizard" print Gs, those will do fairly well, too, even if not in brilliant condition. A pity #1 from each series is missing.
And re. the Basic Box, look for the Games Workshop logo on the title page of the blue book.

Feel free to lob any more questions our way & Best wishes for the sale. :)

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:42 pm 

Hi Faro, thanks for the comments - the plastic covers are in fact, just that - they aren't sticky back or in fact attached at all. Somehow we folded the plastic round like a dustjacket and sellotaped it together, and it's still there 25 years later (nearly 30 ulp). It would be easy to remove them, in fact maybe I should!

I guess the spines could be reglued, but I would say they would still end up in only average condition. Worth trying though, I'm sure!

No sign of a GW logo anywhere on the box of the D&D set or in the rules - though why we would have bought a non-UK version is beyond me.

As far as the age differences go - from memory a group of us at school bought D&D stuff collectively - so one bought Eldritch Wizardry, another Blackmoor and so on. Hence my brother and I ended up owning just a couple of books. Then when D&D, then AD&D came out we were a bit older, with more cash and probably all bought a copy. I suspect that the same reasons lie behind the lack of G1 and D1 modules - I know we played them! I shall have to have a good look around to see if they are lurking elsewhere in my archive.

Cheers

Eddy

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:01 pm 

Ed the Red wrote:Hi Faro, thanks for the comments - the plastic covers are in fact, just that - they aren't sticky back or in fact attached at all. Somehow we folded the plastic round like a dustjacket and sellotaped it together, and it's still there 25 years later (nearly 30 ulp). It would be easy to remove them, in fact maybe I should!

Good to hear: I was playing safe, since sticky-backed (clear) plastic is a UK tradition.
If the covers might get creased in the process, cut off the plastic cover ;) And if there's no discoloration, smile. Should be safely back up in the $25-50 range if in "excellent" condition, but pics are always good to confirm (esp. if top-end).

Ed the Red wrote:I guess the spines could be reglued, but I would say they would still end up in only average condition. Worth trying though, I'm sure!

If you mean inside the spine, feasible with a tiny amount of rubber glue. Better to play safe, perhaps. If the outside of the spine is also cracked/split, it gets more difficult.
The 1st print GW MM is a scarce item; more difficult to tell with the 1st PHB owing to printing variations.

Ed the Red wrote:No sign of a GW logo anywhere on the box of the D&D set or in the rules - though why we would have bought a non-UK version is beyond me.

Old stock from before the UK edition, perhaps (which started pretty late, anyhow)?
Digging out the dice certainly won't hurt, if you still have them around.

Ed the Red wrote:As far as the age differences go - from memory a group of us at school bought D&D stuff collectively - so one bought Eldritch Wizardry, another Blackmoor and so on.

Neat! And those weren't cheap in pocket-money terms, at the time :)
Who bought the white box, btw? ;)

Ed the Red wrote:Hence my brother and I ended up owning just a couple of books. Then when D&D, then AD&D came out we were a bit older, with more cash and probably all bought a copy. I suspect that the same reasons lie behind the lack of G1 and D1 modules - I know we played them! I shall have to have a good look around to see if they are lurking elsewhere in my archive.

Full sets generally sell a bit better, especially for UK prints (not stated yet, either way?).

Ed the Red wrote:Cheers
Eddy

No probs. Sounds like a decent little hoard there.
Trust y'all had fun playing, too? :)

Regards,
David.