Large cache of early D&D unearthed
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 5 of 712, 3, 4, 5, 67
Author


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:04 pm 
 

Kaskoid wrote:I can sell the "mish-mash" books singly if the box is trash. or throw in the old woodgrain.

First bit of advice: Listen to everything faro says.  He's rarely wrong on this stuff.
Second bit of advice:  If you have a woodgrain box floating around, it's worth money on its own, with or without books.  Big money.

 YIM  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3155
Joined: Nov 21, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 05, 2016
Location: UK

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:11 pm 
 

deimos3428 wrote:Second bit of advice:  If you have a woodgrain box floating around, it's worth money on its own, with or without books.  Big money.

Some people are just too helpful! :)
*jk*

*points back to the second post on this thread*

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3155
Joined: Nov 21, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 05, 2016
Location: UK

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:20 pm 
 

deimos3428 wrote:First bit of advice: Listen to everything faro says.  He's rarely wrong on this stuff.

We collectors are a fickle bunch, though: sometimes never know when people are going to go very high (erm, Paul's late 1st print, for example :roll:) or very low (like that very nice 2nd U&WA Stephen picked up for <$20).

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 465
Joined: Mar 27, 2006
Last Visit: Aug 08, 2016
Location: Eatin' hog-eyed peas in a hog-eyed town

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:26 pm 
 

U&WA page 14: 5th, pic titled Nazgul; 6th/7th, untitled. From the color on the cover, if it's a 6th/7th my money's with 6th.


Titled Nazgul... it is.

6th ends with Dragon and Complete Catalog


OK, it does...

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly does OCE stand for?

OK, the pure set of 4ths in good box, remainder in broken box, and woodgrain by itself. Which ref sheets go where?

On the woodgrain with the duct taped corner, my wife says that is the one I have had "forever"; it's probably my very first...


CLARIFICATION:

Character Record pad I have is grey,printed both sides,  24 sheets and cardboard, WITH cover (Tom Wham art) loose. Item No. F 1009


Nemesis of the Annoyingly Dense
Guidelines, not rules...

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:28 pm 
 

i dont know what OCE stands for either....guessing its Original Collectors Edition?

Al



  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:28 pm 
 

faro wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:Second bit of advice:  If you have a woodgrain box floating around, it's worth money on its own, with or without books.  Big money.

Some people are just too helpful! :)
*jk*

*points back to the second post on this thread*

Please note "big money" is subjective.  I meant more than $20, or ten times the value of the ultra-rare B2.   :twisted:

 YIM  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:33 pm 
 

killjoy32 wrote:i dont know what OCE stands for either....guessing its Original Collectors Edition?

Al


Bingo. :wink:


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:37 pm 
 

bclarkie wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:i dont know what OCE stands for either....guessing its Original Collectors Edition?

Al


Bingo. :wink:


wahay! what a guess :)

Al



  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3155
Joined: Nov 21, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 05, 2016
Location: UK

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:36 pm 
 

Kaskoid wrote:
U&WA page 14: 5th, pic titled Nazgul; 6th/7th, untitled. From the color on the cover, if it's a 6th/7th my money's with 6th.

Titled Nazgul... it is.

Kaskoid wrote:
6th ends with Dragon and Complete Catalog

OK, it does...

So that other set of books is 5/3/6, then. Interesting mix! :)

Not so happy if that means someone has walked-off with your original set, though... :? Happened to me, too.

=

Kaskoid wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly does OCE stand for?

Yup, the collectors edition (6th/7th) with the red "starburst" on the cover of the box ( => http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/setpage ... oxoce.html ).
Those are common compared with a non-OCE box (so a beat-up non-OCE isn't a write-off, IMO).

==

Kaskoid wrote:OK, the pure set of 4ths in good box, remainder in broken box, and woodgrain by itself.

Sounds best to me.

Kaskoid wrote:Which ref sheets go where?

I think you have the correct 4th sheets as displayed.
Those are unique to the 4th print owing to the way the correction page is "pasted" on the front -- and cannot be replaced by any other correction/ref sheet set.

Image

One more question on the 4th print M&M:
Does it have an address label pasted over the address at the foot of the stock list?
I'm guessing there's a very good chance that since you have a "staff copy" that there might not be that label.
Working theory (judging by the purchase date and box) is that those were only missing on early copies, but there's only one copy known thus far, afaik.

If you're going to swap those white boxes around, it might be best to shout louder to let people know and add a bit more time on those two. Your call, of course.
But since I instigated this, I'd better post my offers on those in public so that it's clear I have no ulterior motive.

1) FINE non-OCE white box, 4/4/4 books, 4 sheets; $250 (or $300 if paste-over address label in M&M is absent)
2) FAIR non-OCE white box, 5/3/6 books, ?5/6 sheets; $60

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 465
Joined: Mar 27, 2006
Last Visit: Aug 08, 2016
Location: Eatin' hog-eyed peas in a hog-eyed town

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:47 pm 
 

5/3/6 If you guys say so, OK for me.

Not so happy if that means someone has walked-off with your original set, though


The only reason I still have this really old woodgrain was that I was kind of embarassed to be lugging it around, working for TSR, and all...
I seemed to "LOSE" a booklet or two just about every major con Tournament.

I think you have the correct 4th sheets as displayed.
Those are unique to the 4th print owing to the way the correction page is "pasted" on the front -- and cannot be replaced by any other correction/ref sheet set.


Maybe not.
The "front" has errata only, LizMan logo, TSR Rules. That alone would make it older as "Rules" was used only a short time.

However, I believe the other set is older, much older. For one thing, it is on a light card stock, not paper like the other. For another, the publ. is listed as Tactical Sudies Rules. The back has Maps: Treasure tables; inside the front and back is one table called "The Monsters". This could very well be from my first set... It may be that this item should go separately.

Does it have an address label pasted over the address at the foot of the stock list?


Yes, it has label.


Nemesis of the Annoyingly Dense
Guidelines, not rules...

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3155
Joined: Nov 21, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 05, 2016
Location: UK

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:07 pm 
 

Apologies for the delay: just back from a jog in the dunes after Al guilted me into doing so!

Kaskoid wrote:I seemed to "LOSE" a booklet or two just about every major con Tournament.

:?

Kaskoid wrote:
I think you have the correct 4th sheets as displayed.
Those are unique to the 4th print owing to the way the correction page is "pasted" on the front -- and cannot be replaced by any other correction/ref sheet set.


Maybe not.
The "front" has errata only, LizMan logo, TSR Rules. That alone would make it older as "Rules" was used only a short time.

*nods*. Thanks for the check on that.

Kaskoid wrote:However, I believe the other set is older, much older. For one thing, it is on a light card stock, not paper like the other. For another, the publ. is listed as Tactical Sudies Rules. The back has Maps: Treasure tables; inside the front and back is one table called "The Monsters". This could very well be from my first set... It may be that this item should go separately.

It looks like a newer set of sheets, IMO.

The earliest have a separate "Corrections" sheet (not required in the later prints) and various differences in the text. The easiest of those would be the Tolkien refs, perhaps.
If you check on the monster list, do you have Balrogs between Dragons and Gargoyles, or is there a blank space?

I thought the use of "Tactical Studies Rules" on the sheets was a deliberate selling ploy, especially in the "Original Collectors Edition" (6th/7th) context :)

Kaskoid wrote:
Does it have an address label pasted over the address at the foot of the stock list?


Yes, it has label.

Ah... :(
Would've been good to see another set w/o the address label.

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 465
Joined: Mar 27, 2006
Last Visit: Aug 08, 2016
Location: Eatin' hog-eyed peas in a hog-eyed town

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:51 pm 
 

If you check on the monster list, do you have Balrogs between Dragons and Gargoyles, or is there a blank space?


YES
What else would you like me to check? They may have been in my woodgrain--I don't remember.

Even if they weren't, they can't be very much newer than '81 'cause that's when I put this stuff up. When I moved, I never DM'd again except a couple times in a little local con, and that wasn't any of my dungeons.

My old pack of gaming cronies didn't RPG very much. I was always a simulations/miniatures gamer hiding in the RPG forest. I had a sand table, the whole thing. I still have more than 4400 microscale tanks and stuff in 1:285 scale. I love to play fantasy games; I quit RPGs when I left Wisconsin.


Nemesis of the Annoyingly Dense
Guidelines, not rules...

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3155
Joined: Nov 21, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 05, 2016
Location: UK

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:17 pm 
 

Kaskoid wrote:
If you check on the monster list, do you have Balrogs between Dragons and Gargoyles, or is there a blank space?


YES
What else would you like me to check? They may have been in my woodgrain--I don't remember.

Even if they weren't, they can't be very much newer than '81 'cause that's when I put this stuff up.

They'd be mid-76/mid-77: 5th print.

Sorry, I should have tightened up my wording: the 5th print ref sheets have that "new look" cover but will still have the Tolkien refs. The 6th/7th have the "new look" cover but without Tolkien refs.
(=> 6th print "Original Collectors Edition" in this auction, for example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8785995900 - just about readable for "Tactical Studies Rules".

The earlier (woodgrain) sheets had that separate correction sheet plus the ref sheets often had blank pages/sides and were in that earlier/not-so-easy-to-read font (as in that 3rd print M&T you have).

3rd print above; 5th print below
Image

Kaskoid wrote:When I moved, I never DM'd again except a couple times in a little local con, and that wasn't any of my dungeons.

Ah... I didn't know that.

Kaskoid wrote:My old pack of gaming cronies didn't RPG very much. I was always a simulations/miniatures gamer hiding in the RPG forest.

I think it's fair to say that was the case for a lot of the people who were in there right at the start of modern RPGs. :)

Kaskoid wrote:I had a sand table, the whole thing. I still have more than 4400 microscale tanks and stuff in 1:285 scale. I love to play fantasy games; I quit RPGs when I left Wisconsin.


Careful; you'll have people asking whether you have a "woodgrain" set of Tractics in your collection, still!



Cheers,

David.

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 465
Joined: Mar 27, 2006
Last Visit: Aug 08, 2016
Location: Eatin' hog-eyed peas in a hog-eyed town

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:17 pm 
 

WOW!

My breath was taken away several times; several of you will be happy in a little while.

Thanks all of you for all the help. Now I know what everything is for the stuff that goes to eBay.

To those disappointed, I will tell this group in a new thread the moment the remainder goes up.

Again, my many thanks.


Nemesis of the Annoyingly Dense
Guidelines, not rules...

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3155
Joined: Nov 21, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 05, 2016
Location: UK

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:27 pm 
 

Kaskoid wrote:WOW!

Well, sure sounds like that was more fun than eBay for round one, anyhow? :)

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 465
Joined: Mar 27, 2006
Last Visit: Aug 08, 2016
Location: Eatin' hog-eyed peas in a hog-eyed town

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:48 pm 
 

Watching eBay rise over the week, and then the last hours... That is some substantial fun, too. Just not as personal.


Nemesis of the Annoyingly Dense
Guidelines, not rules...

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3155
Joined: Nov 21, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 05, 2016
Location: UK

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:55 pm 
 

Kaskoid wrote:Watching eBay rise over the week, and then the last hours... That is some substantial fun, too.

Most of the action is often in the last ten seconds for stuff around here.
But that just leads to a whole new game of "guess the sniper's target"! Image

Kaskoid wrote:Just not as personal.

*nod nods*. Agreed, Tim!

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:59 pm 
 

Kaskoid wrote:WOW!

My breath was taken away several times; several of you will be happy in a little while.

Thanks all of you for all the help. Now I know what everything is for the stuff that goes to eBay.

To those disappointed, I will tell this group in a new thread the moment the remainder goes up.

Again, my many thanks.


Tim, are you letting folks know either way or is it if that I don't hear from you then I came up short?  :)


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 465
Joined: Mar 27, 2006
Last Visit: Aug 08, 2016
Location: Eatin' hog-eyed peas in a hog-eyed town

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:09 pm 
 

I'm putting together a "The Winner Is" list right now.


Nemesis of the Annoyingly Dense
Guidelines, not rules...

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3155
Joined: Nov 21, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 05, 2016
Location: UK

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:30 pm 
 

Kaskoid wrote:I'm putting together a "The Winner Is" list right now.

*g*. No escape in anonymity for any serial overbidders! :P

  
PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 5 of 712, 3, 4, 5, 67